• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Touch My Katamari |OT| Touch, Squeeze, and Pinch

rhQzu.jpg

OPJFw.jpg

L5cqZ.jpg

• Japan: December 17, 2011
  • Europe/North America: February 22, 2012

FkzDE.jpg

• One day, a boy asks his Dad "Who is more awesome, the King of All Cosmos or his principal?".
    When the dad is trying to make up his mind, the mom says they are both equally
    awesome. The king overhears the conversation. Shocked, he becomes a train wreck.
  • Somewhere else, a slacker named Goro, who puts off studying for video games
    and the Internet, sees a news broadcast telling of the King's apparent depression.
    Goro believes that this is his moment to start his life anew, so he runs off to make a new lifestyle for himself.

tVLEn.jpg

• Touch My Katamari adds new gameplay mechanics that makes use of the PlayStation Vita's features. Along with the analogue controls,
    players can move their fingers across the touch screen in order to move their Katamari in the desired direction.
  • By moving fingers along the back touch panel, players can squash and stretch their Katamari, stretching it
    lengthways in order to roll over more objects or squashing it upwards to fit into tighter areas.

jFJMP.jpg

• Remember (Tutorial stage): Learn the controls, etc.
  • Make It Big 1 (Playtime): Reach 15cm in 3min
  • Make It Big 2 (Fashion): Reach 20cm in 5min
  • Make It Big 3 (Sports): Reach 60cm in 5min
  • Make It Big 4 (Rich): Reach 1m in 8min
  • Make It Big 5 (Children): Reach 2m in 6min
  • Make It Big 6 (Workers): Reach 8m in 10min
  • Make It Big 7 (Powerful): Reach 12m in 7min
  • Make It Big 8 (Royal): Reach 200m in 11min
  • 50 Items Special: Roll up 50 items and make it as big as possible
  • Diet Special: Roll up as much as you can in 30,000 kcal
  • Clean Up Special: Roll up all items as fast as possible
  • Cows and Bears Special: Roll up the biggest cow or bear

2RVFn.jpg

• Snowman (2/24/12): Roll up a 4m snowball for the snowman's head.
  • Shopping (2/24/12): Spend as much as possible.
  • Pac-Man (3/20/12): Get your Katamari big enough, and you can tear down those pesky walls, and go where you damn well please!
  • Maid Heaven (3/20/12): The Prince of all Cosmos is pitted against a world of Maid Cafe-esque humans.
  • Soccer (4/??/12)
    [*]Downhill (4/??/12)

• Along with DLC levels, players have the option to purchase Fan Damacies in various quantities, and three Namco song packs.

1OCTx.jpg

OhoQD.jpg

QPPyk.jpg

MbKom.jpg

madmackem

Nice OT, i love this game a real shock launch title for me. When will dlc hit for eu store anyone know im ready for more.

I really enjoyed the demo, but turned away when I heard people saying it was short. I'm going to wait for the price to go down. In the meantime I got some nice OS-level screens. :)

QU4Eyl.jpg

ub9hjl.jpg

Stretch Katamari is best Katamari

Wkb49l.jpg

Jaroof

Didn't care about how short this game was.
I bought it, loved it, and still do. I love Katamari games.

I love what the King says to you when you lose:
"Don't make me bench you!"

B.K.

I really enjoyed the demo, but turned away when I heard people saying it was short.

Katamari games are always short. My biggest problem with the game was that the scale of it was so much smaller than the other games. The levels and size goals were probably the smallest since the original Katamari game.

madmackem

I really enjoyed the demo, but turned away when I heard people saying it was short. I'm going to wait for the price to go down. In the meantime I got some nice OS-level screens. :)

Its not that short really, along with the levels and special stages you can also buy modes with candies for every stage doubling the content more or less.

He's right. I've been playing the game on and off since the Japanese launch. It's certainly not a short game considering the amount of replay value you get once you beat the initial game. I would even go as far as to say they give you three times the content once you beat the game.

The music is hit or miss though, sadly. Even of the DLC music, only a couple of tracks are good.

It seems short and the level list makes it look even shorter, but really once you get into it it's not. I felt compelled to get 120 points on every mode for every stage, and unlock every single trophy (except for the last one, buying the 64,000 candy item). Add in the DLC, and it'll give you a good two weeks of nonstop playing like it did for me.

Oh, and something else that keeps you coming back to it: they added in a ranking feature, every week it gets updated and you go up a rank, and depending on what your rank is, you get a candy multiplier. However, you have to get a minimum number of candies each week to keep your rank.

yeah, just started playing this more since i beat it... just having fun doing weekly level ups and unlocking stuff.

The only problem I've been facing recently is... once you've beaten absolutely everything, how are you supposed to keep your rank up, or get candies in the first place? Not only is re-re-re-re-re-replaying the same level boring, but because you've beaten it already, you hardly get any candies for playing it again. So how are you supposed to get big amounts?

noquarter

First game I picked up for my Vita and still most played. Haven't played a Katamari game since Damacy and really enjoyed this one.

The tricks with the touch pad are pretty good, being able to stretch out to pick up more or making it taller to get high stuff really added to the experience, especially since I thought it would be crap like most touch mechanics early on. Really makes playing the levels again fun since learning the best route can be so different now.

The game was short though, beat it in a couple nights. Luckily getting all the extras in a level adds some extra reason to go back to the levels I wasn't a fan of again.

I really enjoyed this. Been playing since the first game and although it's undeniable that each sequel has been less good than the original, I've had a great time with them. The inclusion of literal #gamechangers here like the front and rear touch and making the katamari longer or thinner made it feel original again.

whitehawk

Banned
It is a bit short, but it's also extremely replayable. It's also very hard. Most levels I only got 1 or 2 stars =/

Also the cutscenes were hilarious.

jogarrr

Been playing this for a couple weeks now. There's someone nearby who gives me a near gift challenge everyday (with really easy to beat times :p ) so I find myself playing at least little bit each day. I also finally got enough Fan Damacys to unlock the Snowman DLC the other day and that was fun. I'm looking forward to seeing the other DLC levels. I still have to unlock a lot of items for the king and I'm shooting for 120 points in each level so I'll be playing this for a while.

see5harp

It's an alright game. I got through every level with around an average score of 80 over the weekend. I really hate how The SDK works for near functionality. Why not just list your friends or nearby people who play the game nearby within the game? I have the dreaded error message for near so I am basically locked out of this content. I have the same problem with gifts within Super Stardust. I have to read a guide in order to figure out how to gift.

geebee

Banned
This is the first game in which I actually hated The King. It's like they were running out of ideas for him and it's like they tried a little too hard to make him quirky.. I dont want to see him dancing while changing his appearance or have him squirm around and make a strange sound after turning my Katamari into a star. WTF is that? The cutscenes are also pretty disappointing..

The game itself is awesome, though. The stretching of your Katamari is actually pretty useful and kept wondering why it hadnt been implemented earlier.

madmackem

Been playing this for a couple weeks now. There's someone nearby who gives me a near gift challenge everyday (with really easy to beat times :p ) so I find myself playing at least little bit each day. I also finally got enough Fan Damacys to unlock the Snowman DLC the other day and that was fun. I'm looking forward to seeing the other DLC levels. I still have to unlock a lot of items for the king and I'm shooting for 120 points in each level so I'll be playing this for a while.

How does that work then, how do you get the dlc levels as i cant see them on the eu store.

see5harp

I do think the game is still a ton of fun for anyone who doesn't have any experience with the series but i do agree with the criticism of king dialogue and tiny things that have bugged me in the series for a long time. The game has a cool but ultimately confusing UI (unless you are using the touchscreen). The King's huge face and dialog every time you pick up a gift or cousin is still irritating and unnessary to me, especially when the start button is hard to push. Framerate and draw distance are still really bad (really noticeable draw distance here).

jogarrr

How does that work then, how do you get the dlc levels as i cant see them on the eu store.

They aren't visible in the store itself. You have to click the section of the game's LiveArea telling you about the DLC to download them (or via the in-game store clerk). They're free to download but you need to unlock them with 10 Fan Damacies each.

Edit: Ah, n/m. I see from another post from you above that you're accessing the right store (the one with the Fan Damacies). Maybe they're just not up in the EU yet?

Meier

It's fun although I haven't touched it in about 3 weeks. The digital price point was absolutely perfect IMO. Controls are a bit garbage frankly but as a very longtime fan of the series, it absolutely lived up to my expectations. Wish the draw distance was a wee bit better though.

I'd give it an 8/10.

It's an alright game. I got through every level with around an average score of 80 over the weekend. I really hate how The SDK works for near functionality. Why not just list your friends or nearby people who play the game nearby within the game? I have the dreaded error message for near so I am basically locked out of this content. I have the same problem with gifts within Super Stardust. I have to read a guide in order to figure out how to gift.

Near.... Near is awful. It actually discourages me from sharing games with friends, as opposed to encouraging. I agree, they should be able to implement it per game. Its stupid to have to exit out of the game just to use near.

I've yet to finish the game but I found it pretty hard to get a decent score. Is there any trick to get Fan Damacys? so far I've only got one.

see5harp

Near.... Near is awful. It actually discourages me from sharing games with friends, as opposed to encouraging. I agree, they should be able to implement it per game. Its stupid to have to exit out of the game just to use near.

The UI, the way things are explained it's incrediblely vague 50% of the time. Games will tell me that I have giftable items but there's no explanation of how to gift. Most of the time when I'm looking at a particular game whether it's on XBLA or iOS, I really just want to know whether people on MY list are playing the game. I appreciate the extra 3DS type street pass features but a lot of near does with items could just as easily have been done within the game using your friends list. I'm sorta tired of receiving pool cues for a game I don't own nor have any intention of ever buying.

The UI, the way things are explained it's incrediblely vague 50% of the time. Games will tell me that I have giftable items but there's no explanation of how to gift. Most of the time when I'm looking at a particular game whether it's on XBLA or iOS, I really just want to know whether people on MY list are playing the game. I appreciate the extra 3DS type street pass features but a lot of near does with items could just as easily have been done within the game using your friends list. I'm sorta tired of receiving pool cues for a game I don't own nor have any intention of ever buying.

I love how Wipeout does it, it shows a list of scores of what friends beat what; this correlates to what get sent to near. Motorstorm RC does it similarly.

Christian

My mom was awesome enough to surprise me with this after I had surgery last week. I absolutely LOVE it. Finally, real Katamari action on the go. I'm disappointed with the lack of levels, really, but they're so much fun to play. I love searching for the curios, in particular. And I like a LOT of the music. I think it's really good, especially the Jazzy Cherry Blossom remix. I'm all for new stages being released as DLC. My only regret is that the game doesn't have a full trophy list, and that the scale is pretty small compared to the last several titles in the series.

Does anyone know if there's a way to view your game stats? I know if you have someone in the buddy plaza you can touch them and see all their stats for the game, but is there anywhere I can see my own? I've looked everywhere.

Does anyone know if there's a way to view your game stats? I know if you have someone in the buddy plaza you can touch them and see all their stats for the game, but is there anywhere I can see my own? I've looked everywhere.

Touching the prince on the level selection screen?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Ha, had no idea there was an OT for this game.
I really enjoyed it, but yeah, sucks for the lack of levels.

I've put about 7-8 hours into it though, and have played 3 out of the 4 DLC levels yet.
My goal now is to 100% the game.

what is the deal with the whole "Sweet Talker" thing at the end of the level?

You can increase the number of candies you get by using the babyhead thingies. If you use three of those at once (I believe multiply x3) you get a trophy. Obviously use it if you got a good score for maximum candies.

IrishNinja

so, first 2 (PS2) Katamaris = top tier
Forever (PS3) = mid/upper, it has most of the best ones and the new artstyles are cool too.
Low/crap is Beautiful (360 - fuckin' day-1 DLC was mostly not good either, i thought), ios & PSP game, the latter mostly for the controls.

where does this rank for you guys?

so, first 2 (PS2) Katamaris = top tier
Forever (PS3) = mid/upper, it has most of the best ones and the new artstyles are cool too.
Low/crap is Beautiful (360 - fuckin' day-1 DLC was mostly not good either, i thought), ios & PSP game, the latter mostly for the controls.

where does this rank for you guys?

I'd say mid-upper. Newcomers will have a blast with this. Fans who are already invested into the franchise might get fatigued, but this the best way to experience a portable version of Katamari. iOS and PSP just didn't cut it.

The remixes are pretty good as well.

IrishNinja

^that's actually pretty good news for me, then! Katamari's struck me as a perfect franchise for portables, and i havent had a proper one yet.
and while i loved Forever, the OST was often one of my complaints, so it that's good here, i'm golden. Day 1 when i get a Vita.

SmokyDave

I kinda wish I hadn't bought this. It's not the lack of content or the ridiculous 'fan damacy' system that's getting to me, it's the scale. Even the biggest challenge only sees you rolling a 12m Katamari. It's so disappointing, as if the game ends at the halfway point or something.

I think this is the only Vita title I regret purchasing. It just isn't good value for money.

noquarter

So, do you have to turn the game on for it to keep track of your rank or what? I didn't play for like two weeks and I didn't drop, I'm not cOmplaining, just seems like a missed opportunity.

whitehawk

Banned
I kinda wish I hadn't bought this. It's not the lack of content or the ridiculous 'fan damacy' system that's getting to me, it's the scale. Even the biggest challenge only sees you rolling a 12m Katamari. It's so disappointing, as if the game ends at the halfway point or something.

I think this is the only Vita title I regret purchasing. It just isn't good value for money.
I don't understand why they haven't had a game where you get big enough to roll up countries until you are just a big ball a little bit smaller than the earth, rolling around in a giant blue ocean.

They let you get big enough to roll up 1 city and then that's it, the invisible barriers are introduced. Or in this games case, really weird trippy visible barriers.

SmokyDave

I don't understand why they haven't had a game where you get big enough to roll up countries until you are just a big ball a little bit smaller than the earth, rolling around in a giant blue ocean.

They let you get big enough to roll up 1 city and then that's it, the invisible barriers are introduced. Or in this games case, really weird trippy visible barriers.

Beautiful Katamari on 360 did this. In the last level you essentially rolled up everything. It was awesome and sadly it was something I took for granted would happen in this game.

So bummed out by this title.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
whitehawk said:
I don't understand why they haven't had a game where you get big enough to roll up countries
Is this sarcasm? "We love Katamari" on PS2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qXPmonFNok&feature=related
And this was then done on every game since pretty much(they just had you collect countries in pieces instead of whole on 360/PS3). They had you rolling stars/planets and the sun as well in pretty much every Katamari since.

Anyway I found Vita game nice - for 26$ and already 4 free level DLCs - it felt fair compared to that other Namco game on Vita.
That said, the PSP version is 19.99$ on PSN, and it plays like it was meant to (DualStick controls work perfectly) - it actually overshadowed the Vita version for me in almost every way (it certainly has far more charm), and I'd argue with improved controls and Vita performance, it's the best portable version to date.

SmokyDave

Is this sarcasm? "We love Katamari" on PS2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qXPmonFNok&feature=related
And this was then done on every game since pretty much(they just had you collect countries in pieces instead of whole on 360/PS3). They had you rolling stars/planets and the sun as well in pretty much every Katamari since.

Anyway I found Vita game nice - for 26$ and already 4 free level DLCs - it felt fair compared to that other Namco game on Vita.
That said, the PSP version is 19.99$ on PSN, and it plays like it was meant to (DualStick controls work perfectly) - it actually overshadowed the Vita version for me in almost every way (it certainly has far more charm), and I'd argue with improved controls and Vita performance, it's the best portable version to date.

Really? I felt quite the opposite. They're both equally lacking but one cost £16.99 and the other £24.99. I'm much, much happier with the value proposition of Ridge Racer.

Top Bottom