• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Darkness MMO by CCP - Gorgeous Fashion revealed

wod.jpg

CCP's Cloth Physics Tech Demo from 2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrtwESnTOwY
( I have a feeling these examples are all WoD related versus EVE Online, but EVE might be getting more fashionable now. )

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/24/world-of-darkness-presented-at-eve-fanfest-2012/

"The game is nowhere near complete, and fans worried that last year's heavy layoffs at the Atlanta office had slowed the game's production."

/r/games also has a good point-by-point writeup of the new WoD MMO detals:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/rbhdx/world_of_darkness_mmo_latest_details_and_news/

Top Points:
- "Sandbox", "Coffeeshop", "Themepark" - three styles of play that they're catering to. PvP-style, Social-style and PvE-style. Primary focus is on the PvP Sandbox as it's what they're best at.
- Production tools and tech are being worked on now, there will be more information this year. (Does this mean IMVU-like or TF2-like clothing editors for a user-made microtransaction system? Perhaps I'm reading too much into it)
- Sandbox control of cities - players can become the Prince of a city, but you really do have to fight and politic for it.

A lot of potential here, but with the downsized team, I wonder if we'll see this game before the end of 2014, if at all.

Zaptruder

Banned
Intriguing. That cloth/hair physics looks amazing... wish next-gen consoles would incorporate a specific physics chip for those kind of effects.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
My hype for this game just went from "Oh, it's CCP's other project" to "I WANT THIS IN MY DICK".

Sentenza

Don't all MMORPG have cities/areas with a bunch of quests? Sorry, the only MMO i've played was Star Wars Galaxies, like 7 years ago.
Well, they weren't exactly selling it as a unique point.
That's just the name they are slapping over PVE content (which I guess would be a bunch of quests, scripts and themed dungeons), where "Sandbox" goes for PVP and "Coffee shop" goes for the social side of the game, instead.

Slayven

Don't all MMORPG have cities/areas with a bunch of quests? Sorry, the only MMO i've played was Star Wars Galaxies, like 7 years ago.

Quests didn't really matter that much until WoW. SWG was a freak of it's time. Before WoW you grouped and grinded until you was high enough to raid.

UrbanRats

Well, they weren't exactly selling it as a unique point.
That's just the name they are slapping over PVE content (which I guess would be a bunch of quests, scripts and themed dungeons), where "Sandbox" goes for PVP and "Coffee shop" goes for the social side of the game, instead.

Quests didn't really matter that much until WoW. SWG was a freak of it's time. Before WoW you grouped and grinded until you was high enough to raid.

Ah, all clear now, thanks.

Kapoios

Neo Member
- "Sandbox", "Coffeeshop", "Themepark" - three styles of play that they're catering to. PvP-style, Social-style and PvE-style.

Sounds to me like they are trying to do too much at the same time.

i love me some bloodlines, ....well everything except the combat in bloodlines.

I hope the non combat parts hold a candle to bloodlines.

bloodlines.

Durante

I love cloth simulation so much. The next generation consoles better be beastly because doing this shit for a full set of characters in a real game situation is not cheap.

Looks good by MMO standards I guess, but man does it give the impression that the game is 18 months or so out at the very least.

This game is much further away than 18-months. CCP isn't so bold to repeat their mistakes, so they're taking baby steps with both World of Darkness and EVE's ambulation features.

I will play this game simply because CCP is making it, and because I like the two Vampire: The Masquerade PC games: Redemption and Bloodlines.

So then the tech moves into a new EVE expansion.
The Carbon technology isn't exclusive to World of Darkness. EVE already has a small demo room called Captain's Quarters that features this technology. Its character creator, which happens to be the best character creator around, is also a Carbon product.

I'm shocked CCP hasn't caved into doing a kickstarter to bump up the development team. A lot of people would throw their money at them.

Vinci

Danish
According to a quote on RPS, WoD will have perma-death. Very intriguing.

Hmm. I'm not even sure CCP is ballsy enough to do perma. Still, I hope this game comes out someday - I really like the company and it has enormous potential given the IP.

What does "theme park" mean in this context?

You remember how there's stories in major media each summer about how there's this rollercoaster death in such or other themepark and that's a horrible thing because that's never supposed to happen as theme parks are places people go to have fun? That's how it is with the term "theme park" in MMO context (at least not here, I hope).

Zaptruder

Banned
Hmm. I'm not even sure CCP is ballsy enough to do perma. Still, I hope this game comes out someday - I really like the company and it has enormous potential given the IP.

I doubt it would be a die once die forever mechanic.

I'd expect there to be some sort of mechanic involved in generating life points as a vampire...

the less you consume, the weaker you grow. If you get killed in a weakened state, you can't regenerate properly and thus die permanently.

If you get killed too many times in a row without feeding, you perma die as well.

That seems like a pretty reasonable mechanic to me, at least in the context of the kind of world they're creating.

Foofaraw

The idea of this game itches all of the right places.

As to perma-death, the only way I have seen it referenced in the game is pretty hard. The Prince of the city must call a Blood Hunt for you. I am assuming that attaining Princedom will be akin to becoming a Scarab Lord, to use WoW terms.

Admittedly, I am more excited for the prospect of getting the Werewolf expansion, but they have to make the and release the first part of it, which seems a long way off at this point.

Troika's Bloodlines game is one of my top 5 fav games of the 21st century. This MMO has been in development so long I will be massively disappointed if it's indeed "at least" 18 months from launch.

antonz

Troika's Bloodlines game is one of my top 5 fav games of the 21st century. This MMO has been in development so long I will be massively disappointed if it's indeed "at least" 18 months from launch.

Once their PS3 shooter bombs the MMO will sadly be the victim of it all.

So yeah, I'm one of those guys who avoids fashionable stores at malls and hates shopping for clothes, but starts twitching over the possibility of dressing up my female game characters in nice looking outfits.

Top Bottom