• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry HD Collection |OT| Stylish for Over a Decade

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechaX

Man, I have never seen an OT take this much effort. But DMC1 and 3 do deserve it.

Dunno if I'm going to pick this up, though. I played the mess out of 1 and 3 when they came out (hell, I fully went through DMD modes on both 3 Vanilla and 3 Special Edition with both Dante and Vergil), so I dunno if I'm going to pick this up. Plus, I almost got burned by Silent Hill HD Collections, so I want to see how 1 and 3 run first.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I knew that DMC and its mechanics were deep.

But not that deep. Damn. Awesome OP.
Competitive action games, baby!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hey gunbo... any way you could tone down this OT... maybe link out some of the walls of text? It's really hard on the eyes.

Azure J

Holy shit gunbo & dah.

tuto7.gif

Y'all did good. :)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It actually gets a lot easier to the eyes when you know what everything in the OT means :3

zero_suit

Amazing OP!

I see DMC1 is getting a new control scheme...excellent. It's hard to go back to it after playing DMC3 for this very reason.

Beth Cyra

Calling GS to see if they are putting out copies so I can pick it up.

Going to start on Devil May Cry 2, I don't care if I'm the only one but I will play through it again just so I can enjoy the great character design and so I can see just how many things went into DMC3 that started in DMC 2.

Barakov

So that's why the OT didn't materialize till now. I'm sure this collection will wipe away the bad memories of Ninja Gaiden 3.

gunbo13

Hey gunbo... any way you could tone down this OT... maybe link out some of the walls of text? It's really hard on the eyes.
Well...we had a specific goal with this OT. We aren't trying to sell the game but encourage people to dig a bit deeper if they are willing (but no forcing). The rabbit hole never ends and all that information is there to guide you as deep as you want to trek. We don't waste words and all of it is relevant.

It's supposed to be a thread for the fans and not for marketing. But if it really is that big of a deal...let me know I guess...

Kyoufu

So that's why the OT didn't materialize till now. I'm sure this collection will wipe away the bad memories of Ninja Gaiden 3.

Is there a way to wipe away the bad memories of the OT?

Anyways, play the collection in the order of the timeline: DMC3 > DMC1

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Gamestop has told me that they removed the street date and are selling them now. Got mine. It is correct.

Dahbomb

Just so I can get this out of the way.... Top 10 things that DMC2 did right or at least tried to.

10) Dante's design - One of the best design in the series and most consider it the best. Dante looks like a professional demon hunter.

9) Desperation Trigger - The idea was cool the implementation was poor. It was too powerful as a comeback mechanic where you basically become god when at low health.

8) Expanding the moves in E&I - E&I got an actual movelist and it made that guns have more variety. It wasn't until DMC3 did those moves have actual uses though...

7) Made Rebellion the default sword of Dante. Some people aren't a fan of Rebellion and honestly after DMC2 people could've cared less. It wasn't until DMC3 did the weapon really come into its own and become a part of Dante's character. At least the games have the continuity of Dante having Rebellion as his main sword except in DMC1 where he takes Force Edge with him to hunt bigger foes (most notably he needed it to fight against Mundus).

6) Added new moves to the empty button and made X button the default jump button. DMC1 always had this button that was basically free, DMC2 at least attempted to add some moves to it. It wasn't until DMC3 did that button become the "Style" button which opened up huge combat avenue for the series

5) Introduced firearm real time weapon swap. It was flawed because you were basically toggling through the weapons which made it cumbersome but it did pave the way for the most ingenious mechanic in a DMC game yet... the realtime weapon swap for both firearms and devil arms.

4) Dual character walkthrough. DMC2 did this first and I thought it was a cool idea only it was implemented poorly. We got a taste of it again in DMC3SE but that was basically the same missions as Dante. DMC4 was where it became more streamlined although I would say that DMC4 also had some mishaps because of this dual characters thing (retreading missions). Some day we will have the proper Dante + Vergil campaign game that we deserve.

3) Despair Embodied and Bolverk boss fights. If the games mechanics were actually good these boss fights would've been epic.

2) Upgrading Secret Missions - Very little known fact about DMC2 is that the Secret Missions actually change on higher difficulties meaning they are a total of 60 different secret missions (not drastically different from the same one in the other difficulty but different enough so that you are surprised). The 60th secret mission of DMC2
has you fighting against 2 Despair Embodied.... bad ass.
I wish other DMC games took this aspect too.

1) Bloody Palace - Pretty much the biggest thing that DMC2 added to the series. This mode is now a staple in the franchise and it has been updated with each version. DMC2's Bloody Palace is quite nasty and long.

I realized 10 years later I never played the same games as you guys did...

Not only I never finished any DMC in normal (easy baby...) but I never understood tactics or anything

Yoshichan

If you want the advertised part of DMC -> wait for the DmC-thread
If you want a thread with actual, deep info -> look at this thread

Leave it as it is in my opinion.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Well...we had a specific goal with this OT. We aren't trying to sell the game but encourage people to dig a bit deeper if they are willing (but no forcing). The rabbit hole never ends and all that information is there to guide you as deep as you want to trek. We don't waste words and all of it is relevant.

It's supposed to be a thread for the fans and not for marketing. But if it really is that big of a deal...let me know I guess...

PM.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

No thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom