• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Q1 (1/1/12 - 3/31/12) Hip-Hop Wrapup: Back to the Basics

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

TOP FREE ALBUMS RELEASED THUS FAR

Sample Song
Bonus: Needledrop Review
Sounds like-Heem’s getting back to his roots, humorous and satirical raps over Indian influenced boom-bap.

Sample Song
Sounds Like- The pure rhyming aesthetics of say an Illmatic combined with a modern multi- coastal freshness

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Lupe Fiasco

Sample Song
Sounds Like – The trillness of your favorite southern gangsta rappers mixed with the intensity of an east-coast killa.

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Future Garage-Rap/Post-Rap, the hippest yet least cheesy model of where rap seems to be headed

Sample Song
Sounds Like – J. Cole if he grew up in the streets of New York

Sample Song
Bonus Video: Needledrop Review
Sounds Like – To say he sounds like Pimp C is to downplay his profound introspection and ability to conjure empathy, plus his music is much smoother.

Sample Song
Sounds Like – A top tier flower letting loose over raw beats with a spontaneity reminiscent of Asher Roth in Foie Gras

Sample Song
Sounds Like – A Caucasian rapper, simultaneously self-aware, and yet braggadocios enough to be a heyday Dipset member.

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Two of the best modern-day spitters rapping over soulful 9th Wonder production, it’s only this far down to avoid stannery claims.

Sample Song
Sounds Like – A smoother, less gimmicky, more explicit version of XV

Sample Song
Sounds Like – A hybrid between Kendrick Lamar and Nipsey Hussle.

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Hodgy Beats on rapid fire over Alchemist production, which is some of the best of the year

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Inspirational and motivational boom-bap

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Excessively explicit, grimey ass raps over gritty inventive lo-fi beats.

TOP ALBUMS RELEASED THUS FAR

Sample Song
Sounds Like –A more self-aware debut album era 50-cent

Sample Song
Sounds Like – A boom bap legend imitating kung-fu legends, subbing the punches and kicks for murderous bars.

Sample Song
Sounds Like – DJ Premier-esque beats featuring the few surviving ambassadors of boom-bap

Sample Song
Sounds Like – A compilation featuring the best underground rappers and producers you’ve been sleeping on

Sample Song
Sounds Like – A lost classic made in the dungeons of NY back in the mid-90s

Sample Song
Sounds like-An outcast early Three 6 Mafia member harbors a grudge that sends him to an even darker, yet equally trill space.

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Early XV drops the nerdy gimmicky and focuses more on grittier introspection.

Sample Song
Crew Love Bonus
Sounds like Flying Lotus takes Araabmuzik under his wing and teaches him everything he knows about music.
BONUS: Melo-X releases free compilation for the cheapskapes featuring the sickest Crew Love mix

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Lee Bannon gets self indulgent and goes for broke on this experimental excursion, think left-field Peanut Butter Wolf.

Sample Song
Sounds like – Neo-Soul Rap

ALBUMS FROM 2011 EVERYONE SLEPT ON

Sample Song
Sounds Like- A modern day Soul-rap classic that I’ll hype until the world ends.

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Possibly the best rap record that only one or two people listened to last year, it’s introspective boom-bap.

Sample Song
Bonus Video – Needle Drop Review
Sounds Like – NOTHING ELSE, Afro-experimental hop

Sample Song
Sounds Like- Dare I say Blueprint-era Jigga with a grimier delivery

Sample Song
Sounds Like- Weed rappers with A Tribe Called Quest sensibilities

PBY

Banned
Just like that, everything is back to normal
kanye.gif

HiResDes

Just ignore my odd urge to post everything in lists. KRIT is lucky to grace da god's list anyway, na mean. Dis shit was written on papyrus and sent down through cherubs by da god, na mean.

HiResDes

Wasn't feeling that too much, though I've liked his work in the past. The one big omission that I regretfully omitted was E-40s album, which I am still working my way through. OH SHIT!...And Action's Bronson mixtape, edit incoming!

Tokubetsu

Deniro Farrar's DESTINY.Altered is second only to Habits N Contradictions for most played rap album to drop this year so far. It's great. Like HiRes says, he manages to not be cheesey like a lot of the other bandcamp/cloud rappers tend to be. There is something almost heartbreaking about almost everything things he raps about. Life-kinda-sucks-but-the-little moments-make-it-okay rap music.

Deniro is also currently tied with Schoolboy Q for best serious/dark-rap intro to an album for 2012:

http://youtu.be/4HmYpbnhDVU

http://youtu.be/oh8LMSJSk0s

CRS

Welcome back HiRes!

Fuck yes. Will go through this list later this week. Thanks!

Also, +1 on the yU tape! I didn't think anyone else checked it out!

SoilBreak

Banned
Word, what a weird transition from The Number 23 for Neako...Still trying to wrap my head around it.

Thought it was great even though I liked Number 23 better. Their are some good bangers on the mixtape(LVLRATCHET, LVLFLXXXN , and NFS333 Hot Pursuit).

Galang

Banned
I looked up Deniro first... as soon as I saw the future garage tag, but was really skeptical... turned out to be really awesome stuff!! Great OP, I'm sure there's other great stuff here as well!

Tokubetsu

RJT

Thanks man, you are awesome! I've been missing you're mixtape round-ups, I heard a lot of good shit in the past because of you.

Also, since it's easy to miss it now: there's an awesome GAF-Hop thread in the OT Community forum you should check out. Unless you're alergic to Kanye, lots of GIFs of him there (blame peterb0y). Don't miss it!

LOZLINK

Thanks man, you are awesome! I've been missing you're mixtape round-ups, I heard a lot of good shit in the past because of you.

Also, since it's easy to miss it now: there's an awesome GAF-Hop thread in the OT Community forum you should check out. Unless you're alergic to Kanye, lots of GIFs of him there (blame peterb0y). Don't miss it!

but....but Hires is a pioneer of that shit nah mean

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Welcome back HRD. Best part about all this? The "sounds like" section. You did a bit of that before, but it was mostly just opinion on what you thought about it. Good shit, hope you do more of these.

HiResDes

Welp, sounds like there´s nothing i´m really missing out on. Which makes me happy and sad at the same time.

I can't possibly listen to everything, so there's still hope for you if you can't find anything here, though I must say I believe my tastes are fairly varied. I kind of feel as though if you can't find even one thing that you like here that maybe you don't like the genre at all.

welcome back hires :). Going to check out that yU earn and the erykah badu(I think people skipped this one mainly because her name was attached to it lol)

Coal

Every single time I come into a music thread at GAF, I expect to find a bunch of shit that I've never heard of that sounds like shit when I listen to it.

This thread delivers!!! 5 Star would read again!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom