• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aggressive swan suspected in drowning death of Chicago kayaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-kayak-swan-death-20120417,0,4650835.story

To the residents of the Bay Colony Drive condo complex near Des Plaines, Anthony Hensley was responsible for a small but important piece of their peace of mind.

Hensley, 37, came around regularly to tend to the swans that made their home at a complex retention pond to help keep geese away. Residents noted his professionalism and marveled that the goose-dropping problem had all but vanished.

But Monday, his loved ones were left struggling to understand how Hensley — an experienced kayaker who retained the athletic build of his days playing football at Willowbrook High School — could have drowned while on a job they said he had held for about a decade.

Witnesses told police that Hensley, a Villa Park father with two young daughters, drowned after he was attacked by a nesting swan Saturday morning, causing his kayak to topple. The bird continued to lunge at him aggressively as he struggled to make it to shore before disappearing under the water, authorities said.

"It just terrible. No words can describe it," his stepmother, Tammy Hensley, said Monday. "We are all very upset, but I can't stop thinking about his two daughters."

Family members said Hensley worked for North Barrington-based Knox Swan and Dog LLC, which places the birds in ponds as goose deterrents. The company also uses dogs to chase geese away from area ponds, grassy properties and golf courses. A company representative could not be reached for comment Monday.

A representative for the Occupational Safety and Health Administration said Monday that the workplace safety agency has launched an investigation into Hensley's death, and police were also investigating.

Authorities said they were called to the pond about 7 a.m. Saturday after a witness saw Hensley in his kayak being circled by a swan and then saw him go into and under the water.

Paramedics were unable to find Hensley, prompting dive crews to join the search and scour the 50-foot-deep pond
, said Tony Brzezniak, deputy area commander for the Cook County sheriff's police. They located Hensley about 7:50 a.m., and he was taken to Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge, where he was pronounced dead about 8:15 a.m.

Using swans to chase away geese is an effective practice, experts said, because swans are larger and territorial and will live in non-native landscapes. They're also not afraid to compete with other animals for resources.

Swans, like many creatures, will defend their territory vigorously, especially when their young are involved, said Steve Sullivan, senior curator of urban ecology for the Chicago Academy of Sciences and its Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum.

"Swans are certainly perfectly happy to attack something that's much larger than them," Sullivan said. "It's mama with her babies, and mama with her babies is always ferocious."

Though swans may seem serene and are pretty to look at, most people don't realize how strong and aggressive they can be, said Doug Stotz, a senior conservation ecologist with the Field Museum. He said he has heard tales of people being attacked or injured from swans but has never heard of someone dying after a bad encounter.

Experts also said swans can be particularly nasty during the nesting and breeding season, which begins in early spring and goes through the summer.

Their first defense mechanism is to use their powerful wings to defend themselves or their offspring against predators, said Tim Snyder, curator of birds and reptiles at Brookfield Zoo.

Residents at Bay Colony Drive said the swans seemed to do their job. Resident Monika Woznica, 31, said Hensley had been a fixture at the pond for years, often bringing his kayak and sometimes his dog when he fed the swans and cared for them.

The area had been littered with geese droppings until Hensley came with the white birds, she said.

"After he started, (the area) became so nice," she said. "He was so good at what he did, very professional."

Authorities said Hensley's employer told them that it's mandatory for all employees to wear a life vest. Police said a life vest was found inside the kayak, though it wasn't immediately clear if that was a spare.

Swans are assholes, moreso than ducks and geese.

1zx7C.jpg

Suairyu

Banned
Swans are the worst. They're even more of a problem in the UK because the Queen legally owns every single one on British soil and you're not allowed to do anything to them.

They've got a royal mandate to steal duck territory!
How aggressive are swans?

As in, could he have killed it with a paddle?
A friend once boxed a swan. No joke. They're vicious fucks capable of breaking your bones. Luckily, my friend was both strong and stupid enough to win.

DoomGyver

I've heard of this happening before. They're actually very strong, and will break bones, knock you out. If one gets you in the water and is attempting to drown you.. You'd have to grab it by the feet and have one hand on its neck and use it as a floating device. Good luck with that.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
They're even more of a problem in the UK because the Queen legally owns every single one on British soil and you're not allowed to do anything to them.

That's still the case? For some reason I thought they had changed that.

Also, getting Crusader Kings 2 vibes...

flcs9.jpg

Huh. My parents live in a complex that uses one of these retention ponds (w/nesting swans). I had no idea something like this was even possible.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
How aggressive are swans?

As in, could he have killed it with a paddle?

I saw someone nail a swan in the back of the head with a frisbee golf driver and it was barely affected.

A...swan?

I actually kicked one of them one time, they can be mean. They will chase you on land. A good kick straight to the chest of that fucker had it run off.

Incredible, and saddening that he actually drowned from a swan...damn.

Kinyou

You just don't wanna mess with birds.
1292609024_kid-scaresqerhg.gif

Really weird case though. I can't really imagine a swan being able to drown someone who's inside a kayak + quite possibly wore a life vest.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Geese and peafowl are the two worst type of bird that I've ever encountered. Horrible bastards

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Man, I think going hand to hand with a swan would be harder than you think.

Binabik15

Man, I think going hand to hand with a swan would be harder than you think.

More like beak to face, chest or arms. As people said, they can break smaller bones by pecking at you. Nothing lethal per se, but getting you cheekbone broken, for example, isn't fun. They're territorial, probably more so when nesting.

At a lake we often visited when I was younger a man pissed off a swan by swatting at it, as a result he was chased by angry swan. To bad I was to small to remember it.

FillerB

I really don't get all the "Swans are assholes"-comments. If you threaten a mother with children she will go apeshit on you no matter the species.

Swans can and will break every bone in your body given sufficient reason. Trying to throw them out of their territory with their young hanging around is more than enough. You can't imagine how they could kill someone in a kayak wearing a life jacket? How does 10kg of pure fury dive bombing straight on your face sound like? Especially when those beautiful wings can break your wrist with just one flap?

Kinyou

I really don't get all the "Swans are assholes"-comments. If you threaten a mother with children she will go apeshit on you no matter the species.

Swans can and will break every bone in your body given sufficient reason. Trying to throw them out of their territory with their young hanging around is more than enough. You can't imagine how they could kill someone in a kayak wearing a life jacket? How does 10kg of pure fury dive bombing straight on your face sound like? Especially when those beautiful wings can break your wrist with just one flap?
He didn't do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom