• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Judge rules race tainted death penalty case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dram

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/20/11307519-judge-rules-race-tainted-north-carolina-death-penalty-case-inmate-marcus-robinson-spared-from-death-row?lite

A North Carolina judge ruled Friday that racial discrimination played a role in sending a black man to death row for killing a white teenager in 1991, a groundbreaking decision rendered under the state's Racial Justice Act.

Cumberland County Superior Court Judge Greg Weeks said condemned inmate Marcus Robinson should be spared execution and instead serve a life sentence in prison without possibility of parole.

Weeks found that prosecutors deliberately excluded qualified black jurors from jury service in Robinson’s case, and said there was evidence this was happening in courts throughout the state.

Robinson’s case was the first to be heard under North Carolina’s Racial Justice Act, a 2009 law that allows prisoners facing execution and capital murder defendants to present evidence of racial bias, including statistics, in court.

Weeks' ruling is expected to be the first of many involving condemned North Carolina inmates. Those who win their claims can have their sentences converted to life in prison without parole. The Racial Justice Act cannot be used to set anyone free.

Robinson, 38, was sentenced to death for murdering 17-year-old Erik Torbblom in 1991 during a robbery. The jury that sent him to death row him had nine whites, two blacks and one American Indian.

It was later shown that prosecutors removed 50 percent of all qualified black jurors from serving on his jury, but removed only 14.8 percent of all other jurors.

In the Racial Justice Act hearing, Weeks heard testimony from experts who said race was a significant factor in jury selection in North Carolina as prosecutors decided to challenge and eliminate black jurors much more often than whites.

Mumei

While this is a good thing, I'm going to be pessimistic and predict that it'll be overturned somewhere down the line.

sflufan

Banned
On an interesting note, a friend of the family in Florida is one of the biggest anti-death penalty advocates in the state...and he's about as right-wing conservative as you can get.

He simply states that the state has absolutely no right to deprive someone of the right to life.

krae_man

Why is the challenge only over the death sentance, and not the conviction itself? Not that I want a killer set free or anything, just curious.

zoku88

Why is the challenge only over the death sentance, and not the conviction itself? Not that I want a killer set free or anything, just curious.

The article says:

The Racial Justice Act cannot be used to set anyone free.

You would think this would be enough to at least get another trial. Though, it seems like it would probably get the same result (guilty) even if the jury wasn't stacked.

krae_man

Never mind, Upon further reading of the article:

The Racial Justice Act cannot be used to set anyone free.

You'd think there's be the ability for another trial. "Get off death row" is probably not good enough. I'm sure this discrimination resulted in more then just crimes deserving life without parole getting death sentences. I'm sure some of these people sentenced to death probably committed murders that warranted a punishment less then life.

He confessed.

The punishment for killing someone isn't life without parole or death. There is a wider range of punishments available depending on the circumstances of the homicide.

With the exception of a couple states (I think Virginia and Texas have the highest executions) we mostly already have thanks to our appeal system.
The farce of the appeals system is inordinately expensive; better to eliminate the statutes that allow it and have done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom