• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakurai talks Smash Bros 3DS/Wii U

http://ds.ign.com/articles/122/1223789p1.html

"As you noted, there is a certain dead end we come to if we just expand the volume of the game," Sakurai told me in a recent e-mail interview, clearly recognizing that simply adding more characters, items and stages wouldn't be enough. The Smash Bros. franchise, though repeatedly earning high praise from critics over its three entries, has effectively followed the same formula since its inception, evolving its style of play without shaking things up too much. So if merely expanding the idea isn't the only thing on Sakurai's mind... what is?

"I intend to change direction a little as we go," Sakurai said, indicating his desire to possibly find a new mechanic or idea to drive two new entries in the series. "The key to that's going to be its dual support for 3DS/Wii U."

GDGF

Soothsayer
You're going to be able to personalize/power up your characters on the go in the 3DS version and play your customized character in the WiiU version.

And of course there will be a vanilla character mode for the hardcore no items final destination crowd.

Guesses of course, but it makes sense.

He's in a tough position.

Change too much and it could "ruin" the series for many.

Change it just enough, it could lessen or improve the experience significantly.

Talented dude though, I'm sure it has a better shot to pay off whatever he does.

DarkKyo

The obvious answer would be a mechanic involving the touch screen. Could do some pretty cool stuff there. Storing items mid-battle and selecting them via inventory screen would be cool!

Salsa

one of the weird cases where i dont really want anything major changed..

except you know, going fast, less floaty, no tripping
basically melee

Vidiot

Like I said in the other topic, now I'm worried they'll skimp on new characters in favor of some shitty mode I won't care about a month or so after release. :/

He's in a tough position.

Change too much and it could "ruin" the series for many.

Change it just enough, it could lessen or improve the experience significantly.

Talented dude though, I'm sure it has a better shot to pay off whatever he does.

I hope he doesn't have this mindset. If people want the next smash to be more like melee/brawl, they should just continue to play melee/brawl.

It's a shame he has to return to Smash Bros. so soon, he's capable of greater things.

No offense to Smash fans, of course, but I want more things like Kirby Air Ride and Kid Icarus from this beautiful man.

DJIzana

I like this!

They're finally talking about some information for it... hopefully we'll know more about it at E3! :D

I hope he doesn't have this mindset. If people want the next smash to be more like melee/brawl, they should just continue to play melee/brawl.

I agree with that myself, just thinking of how others will react.

But yeah, he needs to follow his own vision and ambition regardless of what fans want(most would want another Melee).

90sRobots

For me, Smash Brothers peaked with Brawl. You could even argue that the formula got a bit stale even though it was only the third game. I'll be very happy if there's significant changes to the formula.

Between Smash Bros. and Kid Icarus, it's obvious Sakurai adds various systems around the actual game to make the core gameplay more appealing. There's so many things thrown at Kid Icarus besides the actual single player missions (including the stand).

Revven

back to Melee physics plz

This. I don't care if he doesn't bring back L-canceling or wavedashing. As long as it has the PHYSICS down pat and something I can get into, then awesome. But if it's going to continue to be super floaty with tripping and other unnecessary anti-competitive mechanics I'm not interested.

Brawl did not cater to everyone, at all. SSB64/Melee both did, though. I want him to go back to that, back to catering to both types of players.

Every few months I go back to Brawl. "This game wasn't THAT bad...was it?"

*picks Falcon, does Knee, tickles opponent, trips*

"....fuck"

Cranzor

I hope Smash Bros. is something that he is excited to work on still. Kid Icarus was great, I have no doubt the new Smash will be as well.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
For all the howling about tripping in Brawl, the biggest problem Brawl had was that its final hours of development seemed rushed for the scale of the game. So they cut corners on clone move sets (TANKS FOR EVERYONE!), not overhauling Dorf, etc, and finally, bugs and crazy balance oversights.

The bugs and balance issues wouldn't have been a problem if it wasn't for Nintendo's inadequate network and infrastructure. No patches, no updates.

I'm a lot more confident of whatever Sakurai does for Wii U turning out better in the long run since if there really are legitimate problems with the game, it CAN be fixed now. After the game has had plenty of play testing in the hands of the public.

WillyFive

This. I don't care if he doesn't bring back L-canceling or wavedashing. As long as it has the PHYSICS down pat and something I can get into, then awesome. But if it's going to continue to be super floaty...

I very much preferred playing the game where I didn't fall to the ground like a magnet every time I jumped. Brawl's gravity was a revelation.

Brawl did not cater to everyone, at all. SSB64/Melee both did, though. I want him to go back to that, back to catering to both types of players.

Brawl catered more to everyone much more than Melee and SSB did. I always assumed that's why a lot of people were mad at it.

after KI.

I'm calling it here.

stylus only controls.

I'd be surprised as to why there wouldn't be a gimmicky casual mode like this to appeal to those who haven't played before.

Top Bottom