• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Q1 Pop Wrapup - HRD GOES SOFT

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

Sample Song
Sounds like- Classic Neo-Soul with roots in early heydey soul beefed up with modern influences

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Highly experimental synthpop that incorporates a myriad of lo-fi techniques and other elements to lend it an ethereal sound

Sample Song
Sounds Like- Modern neo-soul with a spunky singer reminiscent of Yukimi of Little Dragon

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Experimental R&B that maintains a focus on heavy bass grounded music, but also throws in synth and electronic elements

Sample Song
Sounds Like – A smoother toned Erykah Badu swooning over some quality jazz-hop

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Minimalist Dance-Pop, at times highly stripped down with a very economical use of synth and electronics

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Versatile jazzy/bluesy soul with a self-aware ignorance and an intelligent introspection

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Another versatile neo-soul/R&B album with a songstress letting loose in various times of struggle

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Neo-Pop with glitchy electronic tones and dreamy landscapes

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Ignorant baby-making R&B

Honorable - Free Mentions

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Bassy catchy ass R&B/Pop with a heavy focus on crafting anthems through affluent hooks

Sample Song
Sounds Like – BASED R&B, braindead and freestyled off the top but with loads of charisma and laid overtop some top quality lo-fi beats

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Gritty R&B that mediates between soul and rap in a way reminiscent of early R. Kelly

Artists To Watch
Jessie Ware
Jesse Boykins III
AlunaGeorge

Edit: Request Move To Off-Topic, Made a boo-boo

I really think AlunaGeorge will be big. Let me just listen to the rest of this too, thanks for posting
5BwwT.gif

Lol, grimes was actually one I was going to list. It's pretty left field from what I typically listen to but I like that shit a lot.

anyway, you don't have this listed.

Peterb0y put me on this.

I think it's pretty decent, the biggest flaw to me is so many god damn skits. Of course, I can just delete the skits songs, but on my first listen I was really getting into the album but I felt myself being taken out of the "experience" each time a skit came on.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I've only listened to Grimes, because I had already listened to her previous albums.

e: This is a nice emo.
5BwwT.gif

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
That AlunaGeorge track is pretty damn good. Love the backing soundscape, very smooth.

Edit: Holy shit at Alice Russell, I didn't even notice her without the over the top garments. Love her solo stuff and that track is nice in other ways, down to earth.

lush

Song dump of stuff that I enjoy from the future/present/semi-past. Most are probably leaning kind of heavy towards bass/r&b but they still work. I love you.

Niki & The Dove - Hot Summer
Disclosure - Boiling
Ryat - Howl
14th - Take Me There
Nina Sky - Day Dreaming
ZZ Ward - Overdue
Kwes - bashful.
YADi - Sahara Heat
Delilah - Never Be Another

Good call on AlunaGeorge(loving that EP) and Jessie Ware(can't wait for her album, big things). Also look for Charli XCX and Azealia Banks to blow up this summer.

Oh yeah and Cassie(King of Hearts), song is absolute fire and I want, nay, demand more.

edit: Oh and I feel obligated to mention Beach House's "Bloom" which comes out in a week or so. Yum.

HiResDes

Fixed

Oh and thanks Jo and Lush that's partially the point of thread. So hyped for Beach House, I no longer listen to leaks, so I feel doubly excited that I held so strong.

itsgreen

Maybe a little description in OP about this topic? I was gunning for pop artists but don't recognize anyone in OP... so....

HiResDes

Pop: Sylistic Origins -
Rhythm and blues • Jazz • Doo-wop • Dance

...Also the fact that you don't recognize anyone should be seen as a good thing. This is a Q1 wrapup of 2012's pop offerings according to what I heard.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Jopedo X Makeda
AlunaGeorge

Wow, thanks for putting me on to them. Great stuff.

Stuff I'm looking forward to:

Ny - Music : It's straight pop but she reminds me of Christina Milian.

Ny - Dark Side : Live version of her singing. Sorta Soul R&Bish, but more pop influenced. She can actually sing live, so that's a bonus for me. lol

----

Janine and the mixtape - Bullets : New Zealand singer / songwriter /etc... She's hip hop influenced and has a great voice. I'll be following her career from here on out.

----

Beatrice Eli – ‘The Conqueror : Electro-pop

-----

Regina Spektor - All The Rowboats
: Pop again. Not much to say about it. I love the keys used in this.

Fjordson

Does Chromatics count as pop? Kill For Love was pretty damn great. Much better synthpop album than Grimes or Nite Jewel, imo.

Title track

One of the most cohesive albums I've heard in a long time.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Does Chromatics count as pop? Kill For Love was pretty damn great. Much better synthpop album than Grimes or Nite Jewel, imo.

Title track

I personally felt that album was too long.

On a related note, I think Grime's "Vowels = Space And Time" is too good.

Fjordson

I don't know, it all just flowed so well for me I didn't mind the running time. It is pretty damn long, though.

But I enjoyed the Grimes and Nite Jewel albums as well, don't mean to shit on them.
Oh man this is great, thanks.
No problem. Already have two new albums to listen to from the OP (Quantic & Alice Russell and AlunaGeorge) so we're even =D

Tokubetsu

Title track

Great album, really enjoyed it. I was totally lost in it for a week.

"Bird of Paradise" and "Running From The Sun" on repeat, forever.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

There are a couple of tracks that are great attention getters but I agree about the overall length. Works well as background music though. Love it in its own way.

HiResDes

I hate to be that guy who just hijacks a thread with his own recommendation, but.....

Yuna finally dropped!
Yeah I know it's a Q2 release, but I'm really trying to put people onto this record!

The lead single is:
Live Your Life
which does a pretty decent job of encapsulating the albums sound.

Will officially be in my Q2 list, also I'm about to reorder shit to include the latest Chromatics.

HiResDes

This Dawn Richard album is really growing on me even more so, would probably put it near the top if reordereed...Some of the songs are just so irreverent and written with the attitude of a true punk like say Debbie Harry.

lush

Posted these in the Electronic thread, thought they might be enjoyed here as well:

AlunaGeorge - You Know You Like It (Bondax Remix)
Little Boots - Headphones (Todd Edwards Vocal Remix)

Here's the actual Little Boots song, "Headphones". She seems to be working with other good artists(James Ford, Andy Butler). Hopefully her new album is better than Hands, such a disappointment after "Stuck On Repeat" originally came out.

Ellie Goulding - High For This (The Weeknd Cover)
HAIM - Better Off

Also, Azealia Bank's 1991 EP dropped this past week. Buy it. Listen to it. <3 it.

Clicked this thread, and was VERY pleasantly surprised to see Novel on this list. He deserves more listens though, and should've been higher.

Though I'm sort of sickened at that site's use of the word "Neo-Soul".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom