• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unseen 64: Beyond Good & Evil 2 environment video

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.unseen64.net/2012/05/11/beyond-good-evil-2-ps3-xbox-360-beta-prototype/
Unseen 64 have posted new videos and images from Beyond Good & Evil 2, including an utterly gorgeous glide-through of a game engine version of the India-inspired environment seen in the leaked concept video.
Here's a direct link to that video.
It's a big change from the settings of the first game, but personally I find the new art direction incredibly refreshing. The attention to detail on display is just breathtaking.

Credit to Shiggy for pointing this out in his daily leak thread, but I felt this was a big enough deal to deserve its own thread.

Mikey Jr.

Wow, Nintendo 64 could output some great graphics.

Seriously though, that looks great. A big departure from the original setting though, no?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, Nintendo 64 could output some great graphics.
I think it looks great considering how early the game was in production and the scale of the environments the team were going for.

EDIT: I only just got your joke. Wow, I'm slow.

Empty

looks cool. hopefully they keep the world much smaller than an assassins creed type so they can maintain that level of environmental attention to detail.

Jellzy

Neo Member
Mirrors Edge meets Uncharted meets Peg-legged camera man.

I never had the pleasure of laying the original, worth picking up somewhere?

At that framerate and level of detail (for the initial tech demo and "the pig" teaser) yeah, I could see it being a next gen game. Sure, it would be a next gen game that would soon be outclassed post launch title season, but next gen none the less.

Well there goes Shiggy's attention whoring...

I'm not into the overall art direction. When I think BG&E it's pastel, clean, Mediterranean.. tranquil. Not brown and dirty. I'm totally there, though.

Wasn't their plan to have to travelling across load of different planets constantly visiting different environments? It might end up being like MGS4 where everything we see of the game is set in one location and then that's actually just the first couple of hours.

Wasn't their plan to have to travelling across load of different planets constantly visiting different environments? It might end up being like MGS4 where everything we see of the game is set in one location and then that's actually just the first couple of hours.

Well, this is without a doubt a vertical slice used for internal "this is what we want the final product to be like". There's probably not much in this we're seeing that will move over to the game, should it ever enter actual production.

(something I really doubt will ever happen)

Sentenza

I never had the pleasure of laying the original, worth picking up somewhere?
Someone could tell you it's not aged very well, but then again there's plenty of dumb people around.

I played it for the first time barely a couple of years ago on PC and I loved every single minute of it.
You can find it for something like 5 bucks on Steam or GoG.

Oppo

it looks nice, but at the risk of giving the typical flippant response, I think Uncharted 2 looked even better.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
it looks nice, but at the risk of giving the typical flippant response, I think Uncharted 2 looked even better.

Do keep in mind that this footage was from when the game was being geared towards current-gen platforms.

UrbanRats

I don't know why they abandoned the futuristic style of BG&E1, for some of the stuff (TVs, radios, furniture etc) everything is more realistic; but i like it a lot, i also love the Indian setting, we don't see too much of it.

UrbanRats

I don't like this realistic artstyle at all, I'd prefer something like the original or the new Sly Cooper.

I think BG&E's art style was very charming, but not that original or interesting.
A more realistic mix (mantaining antropomorphic creatures and some fnatastic elements) could work better.
But of course it's a very subjective matter.

It looks....like India (or at least what I imagine India to look like). I miss the slightly cartoonish, exaggerated aesthetics of the original. There's no shortage of games with SUPER GRITTY PHOTO REALISTIC LOOKING real world locations, that's not what I want from BGE.

Lijik

I don't like this realistic artstyle at all, I'd prefer something like the original or the new Sly Cooper.

Im intrigued to see where it goes. Ancel has been trying to blend fantasy with realism ever since the original Rayman Raving Rabbids when it was still a platformer.

UrbanRats

It looks....like India (or at least what I imagine India to look like). I miss the slightly cartoonish, exaggerated aesthetics of the original. There's no shortage of games with SUPER GRITTY PHOTO REALISTIC LOOKING real world locations, that's not what I want from BGE.

Well i don't think realistic equals gritty, a realistic place can still be very beautiful, pleasing and poetic.
So i'm hoping for that, personally.

Tuck

It looks good - not as good as back when that video was leaked, but good.

...It just doesn't look anything like Beyond Good and Evil.

This build got scrapped, right? So the actual game likely looks nothing like it.

I wonder when we will ever see Beyond Good and Evil 2. It exists in some form - they've basically confirmed that. I wonder what it looks like.

I don't know what I feel about the different art style.

On one hand it does look awesome and with a good PC behind it (or next gen consoles) could be really beautiful.

On the other hand, it's not really BG+E. The very distinct art style of the original is all but gone. I would have liked to see what they could have done with that art style on powerful hardware.

It will end up looking good, so that's all that matters, I suppose. It's just a bit odd.

Top Bottom