• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs. Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition

Gowans

"Running both server and client on the same machine was a challenge for 4J, who hived off the tasks to separate cores of the 360's Xenon tri-core CPU."

"Downloadable skins and possibly texture packs will be added to the Xbox 360 version but clearly mod potential on this version is limited owing to Microsoft's unwillingness to support user-generated content."

"Single-player Minecraft on console runs at a sustained 720p60 with no anti-aliasing - surprising bearing in mind the lo-fi textures and basic geometry."

"View distance on the 360 version of Minecraft is equivalent to the normal setting on PC and it is entirely consistent between single-player and all multiplayer modes available in the game."

"Even without the multitude of engine updates and features etched in for future patches, Minecraft 360 Edition delivers the same compelling core experience which continues to transfix PC gamers."

In Summary:
Minecraft 360 Edition - The Digital Foundry Verdict

We're given a lot of promises for the future, but what do we have right now? Even without the multitude of engine updates and features etched in for future patches, Minecraft 360 Edition delivers the same compelling core experience which continues to transfix PC gamers. Its simplicity meant that it could have manifested on console in several ways, but 4J Studios' decision to prioritise long draw distances and optimise for 60FPS strikes us as one which services overall playability - in other words, the correct one.

The absence of game mechanics introduced later on, such as the XP and food meters, makes the game feel a bit too bare bones, but it does at least tread its own path when it comes to creative play. Specifically, the addition of split-screen multiplayer is near-flawlessly integrated into the engine, with only a few frame-rate hiccups at the extremes.

Looking forward, we hope to see the 1024x1024 block limitation expanded upon, if not eradicated, and for some level of mod support to worm its way in. With the recent news that Minecraft 360 Edition has broken first-day sales records for Xbox Live Arcade, it has clearly generated enough interest to warrant extra time being put into increasing its scope and feature-set. We hope it does receive the lasting commitment from both 4J Studios and Microsoft it needs to blossom - if not into what the PC version has become, then into something instead tailored to the strengths of the 360 hardware. So far, it's making good on that promise.

Full Article Below, really interesting read.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-minecraft-xbox-360-edition

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
They did a good job bringing it over, but until Perfect Dark XBLA loses the horrible light glare textures, I will continue shaking my fist at 4J.

Also, I'm not looking forward to hunger at all. Please skip that feature.

Rapstah

"Running both server and client on the same machine was a challenge for 4J, who hived off the tasks to separate cores of the 360's Xenon tri-core CPU."
I figured this was going on since there are bugs where you lose connection to the server. Interesting solution, on PC four clients and a server would load the chunks into memory a total of five times, but on the 360 I guess they found a way to share it?

From what I've read, it sounds like an impressive effort. I can see the appeal of split-screen play certainly, and that's from someone who used to run a Minecraft server.

Hopefully they can expand on the 1024 block limit - obviously difficult with the 360's memory limitations and not every console having a HD - but I would certainly hope its a priority.

A question for 360 users - when you warp into The Nether and travel a good distance, and then portal out - does the game drop you into a position just before the "invisible wall" of your world?

The technical beast that is Minecraft.

Literally, yes.

smr00

Banned
Still blows my mind how my laptop is more powerful then the 360 yet the 360 version looks better, runs 2x better and doesn't try to burn my house down after 20 minutes of play.

Love the game.

M3d10n

The technical beast that is Minecraft.

Like mentioned before, do not be fooled by the "simple" graphics. The block-based world is incredibly RAM intensive. The blocks are also tricky to render/batch too. The requirements are completely different than those of the static pre-baked and pre-culled geometry used in most AAA games.

Still blows my mind how my laptop is more powerful then the 360 yet the 360 version looks better, runs 2x better and doesn't try to burn my house down after 20 minutes of play.

Love the game.

The 360 version is probably not using Java.

Java evangelists are right in that the JIT compiler can produce code as fast as C/C++, but the fact remains that several of the programmer-made optimizations one can do in C/C++ (like manipulating huge amounts of data without violently trashing the cache and applying hand-coded SIMD to specific tasks) are out-of-reach in Java's high-level approach (this is why that Java PSP emulator will ever get smoked by PS2 emulators in performance).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The server isn't a big CPU hog. I run mine on a crappy NAS just fine.

The core game isn't so bad either on an average laptop, it just needs graphics acceleration, which isn't a problem for the 360

smr00

Banned
Like mentioned before, do not be fooled by the "simple" graphics. The block-based world is incredibly RAM intensive. The blocks are also tricky to render/batch too. The requirements are completely different than those of the static pre-baked and pre-culled geometry used in most AAA games.

The 360 version is probably not using Java anymore. Yes, Java evangelists are right in that the JIT compiler can produce code as fast as C/C++, but the fact remains that several of the programmer-made optimizations one can do in C/C++ (like manipulating huge amounts of data without violently trashing the cache and applying hand-coded SIMD to specific tasks) are out-of-reach.
Everything you just said went completely over my head.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I know right? My PC can run the Witcher 2 on Ultra, but Minecraft is a no-go. It plays fine for about a minute, then it becomes a slide show. Anyone know what causes this?

You probably installed 32bit Java on a 64 bit system. Uninstall java and make sure it's 64bit when you reinstall it.

Portugeezer

Gold Member

I don't doubt that for a second. However I do assume that more technically talented developers could achieve the same game with better visuals... though that wouldn't really be important.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Like mentioned before, do not be fooled by the "simple" graphics. The block-based world is incredibly RAM intensive.

Is he still storing each individual block into its own 8-bit integer?

Seems like a more talented programmer could come up with some sort of compression algorithm.

bengraven

I don't doubt that for a second. However I do assume that more technically talented developers could achieve the same game with better visuals... though that wouldn't really be important.

Mods have already created gorgeous creations.

fayEV.jpg

But as people have said, the game is very very RAM intensive. You couldn't do that without a very good computer.

Notch started the game off simple until he could get the voxels to have much better performance. He realized later on that he likes the look and it gives the game the charm it has and also helps improve performance so people without three grand computers could run it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
If the game is very RAM intensive how did they achieve 60fps on XBOX? It has so little RAM.

Cartman86

Banned
If the game is very RAM intensive how did they achieve 60fps on XBOX? It has so little RAM.

Well if last night was any indication it doesn't always remain at 60 fps when you go exploring (dropped down to sub 10). I was a client though so who knows.

BHK3

Banned
The game was coded by monkeys leaded by a giant gorilla. I applaud them for it being able to run on the 360.

Such restrictions have meant that worlds generated on 360 are currently limited to 1024x1024 blocks, with an estimated overall vertical axis of 128 (the previous standard for PC). We're assured that this is one of the big focuses of improvement for future updates. By comparison to the PC version's infinite stretches of land rolling out in any horizontal direction, this cuts into the sense of adventure slightly,
Please please please let this happen. Not sure how likely/possible it is. But I love the idea of just picking a direction and being able to go forever.

Mod support and texture packs are also two major areas that are heavily discussed in regards to the 360 Edition. The latter is upcoming at no extra cost alongside extra player skins
Sweet!

To be fair, I believe 4J Studios, besides PD, did the Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie XBLA ports, which looked incredible and ran fluid. No jaggies at all, everything looked totally clean and smooth, and ran just as so.

Sounds like a solid port despite minor shortcomings to make it "console"-able.

How noticeable is the lack of AA in the 360 version?

Top Bottom