• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Women are better than men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zomba13

Maybe it's because I'm in college, actually, I'm fairly certain that's why, but women seem to complicate things a lot. They get hung up on the strangest things. Men on the other hand generally keep it pretty simple.

In my experiences there are people who complicate things on both sides. There are women that are simple and easy to get on with and men who just seem to love making scenes and soaking in drama.

Anyway, I think every race and sex is as nice as every other race or sex. You have dicks of every colour and gender and you also have really cool and nice people of every colour and gender. Just because you are a woman doesn't mean you're nicer than a man and just because you're a man doesn't mean you're not as nice as a woman.

Also, why is America's Mothers Day not the same as the UKs? I always thought the day was the same everywhere, like Christmas. I suppose I should google it or something?

My last engineering class (fuzzy logic in structural engineering):

100% men

Women are maybe better but even in the near future men will make all the boring but important stuff like bridges, cars or planes.

2San

The fundamental difference is that in life, it's not a competition like Monopoly is. In Monopoly only one person can win, and that's why you compete until there is no one to co-exist with. In life, it's the opposite. We're supposed to co-exist.
Yup, that's why it's great that men hold the key positions in life and are more likely to help a fellow man.

apana

But then who's going to kill the spiders in the bathroom for my wife and daughter?!

They are tricking you dude, they aren't actually scared of spiders, they just want you to do the work. I know the game, that's why it's my Mom's responsibility to kill all the spiders in my house.

mine wont fit back there.
faXGg.jpg

That's a nice attention-grabbing thread title.
It's Gaborn News, and what's news without a catchy title to reel you in to read the story.

The fundamental difference is that in life, it's not a competition like Monopoly is. In Monopoly only one person can win, and that's why you compete until there is no one to co-exist with. In life, it's the opposite. We're supposed to co-exist.

Nobody ever wins Monopoly.

You just keep going around and around until everyone gets bored and quits.

Such is life.

GatorBait

I don't think it is so much the sex of those in positions of power, but their psychological nature, that tends to invite "negative" behavior. To that end, I would think that the types of women who succeed and thrive as CEOs, politicians, etc., would have the same propensity to act in less-than-ideal ways.

The problems Ebert describes are probably more so caused, or enabled, by society as a whole rather than by gender-based reasons.

I agree with most of what Ebert is saying here. People who deny that biology and evolution play a large role in differences between the sexes are fooling themselves.

Women and men would both be better off without the cages of learned behavior, cultural stereotyping and even the well-intentioned stuff Ebert here tries to sell. Unless of course we're just pure biological robots instead of thinking beings.

Didn't you just contradict yourself? If we are thinking beings, then learned behavior and cultural stereotypes shouldn't be able to put us in cages.

What nonsense...
Just because he realises he was an ignorant asshole his entire life untill his testosteron levels started to drop, he thinks he can speak for all of us.

Shut the fuck up ancient silly specimen of a human being.

Carcetti

I agree with most of what Ebert is saying here. People who deny that biology and evolution play a large role in differences between the sexes are fooling themselves.

Didn't you just contradict yourself? If we are thinking beings, then learned behavior and cultural stereotypes shouldn't be able to put us in cages.

Possibly, it was a bit dense sentence. :) Or maybe we just have habit of screwing ourselves over. Thinking doesn't always lead to good results, and I was also taking a stab at people who say 'men and women are always x because of biology'.

How to put it... uhm, men and women should both take pieces of the roles we've been set to. Really stereotypically saying some men might need empathy and some women might need to get less 'nice' (taking from something someone else in this thread said.)

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
Because we do not often think of ourselves as animals, it is rather wonderful that women retain one function from their evolutionary past. They have breasts.

Taken out of context, this sentence is hilarious.

I wonder what life would be like if males were kept as slaves by females on a global scale.

Mmmm...doesn't sound so bad, actually. <3

CFMOORE!

No one on GAF, that's for sure.

i am a spider slayer! i earned special finance pull at my old company because i happened to walk into the finance manager's office to ask them to push an invoice through, she started to get all bitchy, then a spider ran across her desk and she freaked the hell out. i killed it and she right then pushed my invoice through to cut the check and from that day on i had those special privileges.

Here, I'll channel her for a moment. "You can't generalize women like that. God, men are such pigs!"

you forgot to add three fucks in there!

Socreges

Banned
The woman is looking for reliability, responsibility, bread-winning. The man is looking for boobs.
Fairly stupid sentence and the article is rife with inaccurate, praising/insulting generalizations like these.

Stick to movies, Roger.

Also,

The_Wire_Snoop.jpg

This isn't an argument, just an excuse for a Snoop reference.

KevinCow

Banned
Ok, I'll bite. Nicer isn't always better.

This is an anecdote so take with it what you will:
I played a game of Monopoly with my women friends. When Jenny landed on Martha's property, she owed $1200. Martha was nice, and she said just give me $600 plus that property of yours which did not equal a value of $1200 nor did it give her monopoly powers for that area.

When Martha landed on my property, she owed $1500. I said that'll be $1500. She was mad I did not offer her a way out like she did to Jenny. I said I was just playing the game. And I won though Martha could have beaten me.

I see the game of Monopoly like I see life (sort of, it's not a perfect analogy). Not just in Monopoly but other board games, the women avoided confrontation with each other even if it was not to their advantage.
On the other hand, I was out to win and I didn't care if my plays made them dislike me for it.

Sometimes, it takes a man to make unfavorable decisions that are disconnected from relationships and emotions.

(in before lol generalizations, etc.)

The article's stupid, but you're just providing evidence for one of the points he made: that men tend to care more about winning, everyone else be damned, while women are more likely to consider the positions of their opponents and find a compromise.

Chiggs

With a woman, I always have to wonder what she's going to do to get back at me. She'll spread a rumor and ruin my reputation. She'll tell her friends I'm inadequate.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. They'll smile at you and destroy your life without raising a finger.

Yep, women can be extremely vicious.

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
The women that end up in leadership positions don't really seem more compassionate and empathetic then their male counterparts.

The article's stupid, but you're just providing evidence for one of the points he made: that men tend to care more about winning, everyone else be damned, while women are more likely to consider the positions of their opponents and find a compromise.

So women subsidize losers? Doesn't seem very efficient! =P

grumble

He's also demonstrating that if that were true, and it's a total generalization they also end up losing to those willing to compete.

ReBurn

Gold Member
The women that end up in leadership positions don't really seem more compassionate and empathetic then their male counterparts.

This has been my experience. There are plenty of women in positions of power out there who will cut you down just as quickly as a man would. There are also men who would avoid confrontation at all costs.

Ebert took a misandry pill it seems.

Carcetti

Even if it's hard to say how much truth there is in that common stereotype, it's not evidence for the more important part - why are things that way? Biology may have had people start like in the days of Living in the Cave, but did it go on also because every generation just teaches the next one (not even thinking about it) that men and women need to be that way, part because men have been the dominant side. Some of the smaller, more isolated cultures have some very different ways for people to act.

Fairly stupid sentence and the article is rife with inaccurate, praising/insulting generalizations like these.

Stick to movies, Roger.

Of course they're generalizations. I don't think Ebert believes that 100% of men and women have the characteristics he's talking about. Of course he knows there are exceptions. Everybody knows there are exceptions, so much so that there's no point in even bringing it up. (And of course Ebert is not some kind of authority or expert in these matters.) But that doesn't mean that you can never say that "men tend to do x" or "women tend to do y". There is nothing wrong with talking about what men or women do on average, or in general, or usually.

heh, no less than 20 minutes ago i thought about how taboo it is to say out loud that men kinda suck. there's always a shitstorm reaction when something factual like "men are more violent" is said. it's just true, that's how evolution shaped us. us males had to fight over females more than females had to fight over males, so we became more aggressive in comparison and more ready to use violence to enhance our changes of passing on our genes.

i'm 100% supportive of actively trying to reduce male power in the world, and increase female power. doesn't hurt to try, after this many millenia of male dominance.. right?

the moment of clarity when i realized us men are definitely worse: i worked at the local police station and had access to all of the case files, so i decided to take a random 100 or so violent cases and check how many offenders were male and how many female. each and every random sample had a male offender... so, yeah...

Funny there's a thread on this, since I just got sent this (it sort of reflects the topic):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnWQKxsywL8

I'm going to stay out of this thread though, since it'll get messy.

Why can't we all just get along? :'(

His point at the start is really fucking stupid. Yes, women haven't invented Facebook, Napster etc. But who invented Spanx? A woman. Saying that women can't start a hugely successful business venture is pretty damn stupid. But so is that show you linked to.

Gaborn

Well I really can't argue against Arab drifting can I? But I can at least argue that I'm not and shouldn't have to pay more because someone else is?

it was a joke. It's pretty well documented that men are more likely to die younger, we're more likely to drink and drive and engage in other risky activity as well. That's why men on average pay a bit more than women drivers.

His point at the start is really fucking stupid. Yes, women haven't invented Facebook, Napster etc. But who invented Spanx? A woman. Saying that women can't start a hugely successful business venture is pretty damn stupid. But so is that show you linked to.

Spanx? That's the example you used? Really? I had to look that up. It certainly hasn't created any billionaires. He may have expressed it poorly but he has a legitimate point. Young women aren't as ambitious as their male counterparts.

Spanx? That's the example you used? Really? I had to look that up. It certainly hasn't created any billionaires. He may have expressed it poorly but he has a legitimate point. Young women aren't as ambitious as their male counterparts.

Young women aren't as successful as their male counterparts. How can you say unequivocally that they're not as ambitious? His point was steeped in misogynistic bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom