• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #98 - "Left Behind"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theme - "Left Behind"

Word Limit: 2782

Submission Deadline: Friday, June 1st by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Saturday, June 2nd, and goes until Monday, June 4th at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: Fatal Flaw

One (or more) of your characters possesses a 'fatal flaw', some aspect of their character that will ultimately lead to their downfall, wittingly or unwittingly so.

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

Entries

Ward

I'm not sure my premise is subtle enough though.

Jim was born with a loaded gun inside his skull. Everyone said it would lead to his downfall.

bengraven

I'm not sure my premise is subtle enough though.

Jim was born with a loaded gun inside his skull. Everyone said it would lead to his downfall.

But where is it pointing? That will change everything.

WHERE IS IT POINTING

Tangent

Bootaaay, congrats! And great new challenge.

Ward, your idea is awesome.

Tangent - "Special": Some nice humor, insight, and a good voice + POV. However, I never felt connected with the stakes in this story, and I lost the protagonist’s motivation in the last scene. Most of her problems felt like things a whiney 14-year-old girl would complain about, and while that may be accurate given the narrator, it doesn’t necessarily make it enjoyable to read. You’ve done a strong job of fleshing out a relationship and conflict between the two siblings – I’d suggest finding a way to make that payoff with the pumpkins more coherent as to the protagonist’s goals earlier on in the story. Thread it all the way through if you can.

Mike Works, thanks for the crit from the last challenge. That's a really good point about the motivation. Interesting that you thought she was 14 -- I meant to make her more like a very smart 7 yr old, with a 10 yr old brother or something. This story is actually based on a true story (not my own) -- pumpkin seeds, funeral, and all, and those were the ages of the kids, too.

Esiquio

I will be participating in this. I've seen these threads before but have not gotten around to actually writing anything for them, so this looks like a good excuse to start writing for real. What's up with the arbitrary word limit, haha.

Ashes

Banned
I think that's Bootaaay saying aim for 2000, but if you go quite a bit over, its cool.

edit: Lol. quite a bit over. :p

Esiquio

Last day, dudes! Don't get... left behind.

Just got home...I'll be posting my story, if I'm able to knock it out in the next two hours, I've been super busy as of late. May post it an hour late, will try to avoid that...back to writing! And I still gotta get a Dropbox account before I forget.

bengraven

Last day, dudes! Don't get... left behind.

Kirk-Cameron-CNN.gif

Just barely making it in time. Missed the last one, but couldn't live with missing two-in-a-row.

http://youtu.be/xqjj8rzeU1o by Valerie Cherish (568 Words)

Password is neogaf

Yes, that it is the title and not supposed to take you to that Youtube link.
And yes, I'm aware I tried pulling the same shit with a filename for a previous contest, but I like using this link for this story for some reason.

Cyan

Banned
Last Contact

They piled up their things, the aliens. They piled up their boxes and cases and bags, and they loaded them onto their ships, silvery-bright in the morning sun.

No one quite knew what to do. There were first contact protocols, oh my yes, rigidly detailed, thoroughly practiced, vetted every which way and backwards. But there had never yet been a need, nor even a thought, toward the reverse.

There were no last contact protocols.

Did we trade quiet goodbyes, fighting back tears? Shake hands, pat on the back, embrace? Promise, bright-eyed, to send letters, all the while knowing that it was a lie, that never again would we speak to one another?

Across all the starports of the world, the aliens loaded their ships, moving with brisk efficiency, sparing neither time nor attention for the humans who began to line up just outside the chain link fences, staring or asking questions or quietly weeping.

The President called the Prime Minister. The Prime Minister called the Party Leader. The Party Leader called the Chancellor, the Chancellor called the Premier, the Premier called the Governor-General. None knew why the aliens were leaving; none knew what to do about it.

And while the leaders of the world dithered, the aliens loaded their ships.

A small child, dragging a parent behind him, approached the alien crafts. "Are you coming back?" he said, all in his voice pleading for a yes. The alien nearest him paused long enough to say, "No," then carried on. The child burst into tears.

A traffic controller who feared abandonment organized a sit-in: the people sat amongst the luggage and tried to block the paths of the aliens as they loaded. The aliens stepped over, went around, pushed through.

At last, the President came to the largest of the ships. She stood at the lip of the craft, and she cleared her throat. "Have we... done something wrong?" she said. The aliens looked at her, and at each other, and carried on working.

The last of the boxes was carried on, the detritus carefully swept up, and the workers loaded aboard. The humans watched closely, holding their breaths, waiting to see what wonders might occur. We didn't have last contact protocols; might the aliens?

As hatches sealed and engines fired, a single alien came to the threshhold of the largest of the ships. It paused for a moment, looking at the people gathered around, and it gave a brief, barely perceptible nod. It turned, and withdrew, and the doors closed behind it.

The ships swept gracefully into the sky, blazing silver swans, and were gone.

In their wake, a single, empty bag flapped across the landing field.

Esiquio

So this was my first time entering a story. I haven't written anything in several years and really struggled with this one. Any feedback would be appreciated. That said, I'll be taking notes as I read the other entries today...on my Kindle!

I figured since the writers here are also probably big readers that at least a few of you have a Kindle. I went ahead and got the text of everyone's entry, copied and converted them to one DOCX file, and basically generated a MOBI version of all the entries, complete with a Cover, Table of Contents, and Chapter Marks (press left or right to go to the next story). I'm extremely picky with formatting and it's not perfect, but it's pretty damn close for my first try. I had to manually add extra line breaks to the PDF versions so the text wasn't all squished together, which was a pain, but I think it was worth it. Here you go:

Edit: Removed link as it is broken (removed file from Dropbox)

Ashes

Banned
Wait... So does that still protect copyright/first publishing rights? Cause you just published our work without password on a public forum...

:/

Wise man asks first what he does with another person's work.

Esiquio

Wait... So does that still protect copyright/first publishing rights? Cause you just published our work without password on a public forum...

:/

Wise man asks first what he does with another person's work.

Good point. I removed the link, sorry. I am not certain if that is considered "publishing", but that is definitely an interesting question that I'll look into answering.

Edit:

http://www.writersrelief.com/blog/2010/04/what-is-considered-previously-published-writing/

Seems like a really good resource for publishing questions. The basic answer I took from it was that it's instantly considered published, technically. But since the link was taken down relatively quickly, it's not like it spread like wildfire and is all over the internet now. It would only be an issue if you went to publish the work and an editor somehow found it online (not gonna happen).

Good to know the rules, though, and again, sorry for putting the work online without a password.

Ashes

Banned
I think cyan or tim or someone else can explain - why we do what we do- much better than I. But I think it's all good.

Cyan

Banned
Don't worry, we're probably fine. And I appreciate your effort in putting that together to make things easier. But in general, we do need to use passwords if we want to retain first publication rights, and so a central document containing all the stories would also need to have some kind of password on it--maybe a download password?

We can think about it.

Esiquio

I really enjoyed reading all the entries. I'm really glad threads like this exist.

Ashes1396 - All the luck in the world.
Engaging, breezy story. Really easy to follow and get into. I like the way it was told, but kind of a weird split of the two parts - marriage and the religious discussion, I'm not sure how they were supposed to be linked. A couple of things...what was the reference to the narrator having had the "death" experience five times? And how did the story fit into the "Left Behind" theme? I think I missed something.

Jedeye Sniv - Two Hours and Seventeen Minutes
Good story and a bit sad. Based on true events? The arcade top score initials part made me laugh out loud, as did the part about the kid who took a 'poo in a urinal', because I've seen that happen. The part before that the narrator spoke of 'social sediment', which was a good but I think you could have taken the analogy further since you used it like a throwaway and didn't explore it.. Spelling error in the part in parenthesis that said '(all the lest cleaners have limps)'

Tangent - Mind of a Rider
I really liked this story. It quickly brought me into the world, one I found interesting and wanted to read more of. Possible spelling error in the part that said, "...Walter had a sudden flashback of abeing in Miss Stinson's classroom..." I'm not sure what you meant there. A very brief viewpoint change part kind of threw me out of the story. "A young boy at the upcoming way station squinted into teh distance when he thought he was some rising dust approaching. Sure enough, Walter slowed to a trot upon seeing the boy waving his hat to him." The boy thinks he sees dust, but that isn't something Walter would think, and then the next line he notices the boy. I could be wrong in my thinking, but it stood out to me. Lastly, what happened in the tunnel? All it says was that he couldn't breathe, and his face was blue like he ran out of oxygen or something. In closing, I really liked this story and would gladly read a much longer version of it or a novella or something. The Pony Express era has a lot of really cool story possibilities.

Bootaaay - Resume
Interesting idea presented in this story. I was a little confused at the perspective it was told in, since the story ends with an opening date for the company and makes it almost sound like an advertisement. At the end of the story, I was thinking that perhaps the entire story was actually a newspaper article, is this correct? I agree with the narrators conclusion, that technology would be horrible.

Valerie Cherish - http://youtu.be/xqjj8rzeU1o
Good, sad commentary on what probably happens all of the world every day/night. It hit home for me, I know. Based on personal experiences?

Sober - Remembrance
Really interesting idea, the characters are in a mysterious place and I found myself constantly intrigued as to what the hell was going on. I would like to see more on these characters and have that "world" fleshed out, I think there's a lot of good places you could take it. The phrase "...the day or so ago." sounded weird to me. Thought that maybe it should read, ..."a day or so ago." Just saw that you have another story with these characters, will be checking that out right away.

Cyan - Last Contact
Really cool twist on the "alien invasion" story, I liked it a lot, but I'm not sure how much further you could take the idea without providing an answer as to why the aliens left. So, uh, why DID they leave, I'm very curious? What's up with that alien's head-nod, and the bag flapping across the empty field? Was it something they left behind, or just debris. A little more physical description of the aliens and what they did while on Earth would have fleshed it out a lot more and made it more relatable.

Tim the Wiz - How To Fall To Your Death And Keep Living
Sad little story. The last lines intrigued me. What exactly is the narrator going to "become"?

My Votes:
1. Tangent - Mind of a Rider
2. Cyan - Last Contact
3. Jedeye Sniv - Two Hours and Seventeen Minutes

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Just reading the other stories on this Sunday evening, there's some really good stuff here.not quite finished yet - Tim, I can't read your story because the paste site is blocking me with a survey that I have to fill out (involving filling out a bunch of personal info). Any chance you could rehost? Gonna rehost mine too, will post a link later. I didn't realise how hard GDocs was to read on the iPad!

Esiquio

I can PM the MOBI to anyone that wants it. To get the text for Tim's story I had to view the page source code and copy the text :p

Tangent

Thanks for the crit, Esiquio -- and good pt about the POV.

Wow these were incredibly fun stories to read....which always makes voting so much more challenging. I'll have to save my crits for later since it's running late. Interesting how the prompt brought about so many death-themed stories.

Votes:
1. Tim the Wiz
2. Jedeye Sniv
3. Valerie Cherish
HM: Cyan, Bootaaay

Impressions (so far, haven’t read all of the stories yet):

Ashes1396 - All the luck in the world.: I'm confused about the narrator; once he was introduced in the story as a character, I questioned how he was able to see everything that had happened to the protagonist (before that scene where they got together). I assumed at that point he was a divine being (guardian angel, etc.), but then he gives the protagonist his business card, the protagonist alludes that he's some sort of photographer, and then he concludes with the statement that he never saw the protagonist again (which would probably make him a shitty guardian angel). I'm the type of reader where, if I don't comprehend something so essential to a piece (like narration/POV), then I find it very difficult to properly analyze its other components, if not the piece as a whole. That said, I appreciated the dialogue early on, and there's a definite weight (which is good), like most of your pieces. And like most of your pieces, it could use some proofreading/editing (why do you always insist on posting your stories ASAP Ashes?!?!?). But overall, ignoring the POV conflict, I found it enjoyable to read.

Jedeye Sniv - Two Hours and Seventeen Minutes: Terrific voice with some great observations and concrete details. Really enjoyed the juxtaposition of how the protagonist’s parents reacted to their perception of his homosexuality, when in fact he might not even be gay. There’s not much action at all in the piece (which I suppose fits the introspective narrator), but the movement from topics provides a sort of action in of itself. I felt that the story started to drag after the narrator continually dreamed up scenarios of what kind of jobs he could do were he to stay in the area; I felt that these didn’t speak enough to the internal conflict he’d set up with his family. It felt more like literary playfulness, and not story-building. But this is only a couple of faulty paragraphs out of dozens of strong ones. The ending needs work; I loved how he couldn’t reach out for help from the stranger due to his personality, but the final sentence felt like more of a comma than a period. I would suggest crafting an ending more final, resounding, closed – something that accentuates what you’ve crafted out of this character. Overall though, very strong piece that will probably get a vote.

Tangent - Mind of a Rider: There are some wonderful historical details and action sequences here: fighting a grizzly, bartering with specific Indian tribes, eating the wrong kind of berries for sustenance… yet almost all of this wonderful stuff is buried in summary! Why?! It’s not the biggest issue in the world, but when you introduce so many enticing and interesting scenarios in summary, you sure as hell better best them in your scenes. There are some aspects of this story that gelled with me, and some that didn’t. The voice and dialogue felt a little too clean, given the era. Everyone was so polite and well-spoken in this piece, and while I suppose there were more than a handful of polite people in 1860, did you have to make even the ash-covered factory worker cheerful? Additionally, on page one there are six names introduced within seven sentences (Walter Rubin, William H. Russell, Mickey, Moses, Bertha, Baby Helena). Faaarrrr too many. I had a lot of trouble figuring out who was who and where we were on the first page (especially when Old Rubin was mentioned), which can be a death knell for a short story. As for the story itself, I think there could’ve been some more obstacles, or more specifically negatives in the story before the climax. We practically know something bad is going to happen to Walter, since nothing bad has really happened before then. I felt lost with the climax; I’m not sure how Walter’s sudden claustrophobia spoke to his character, nor his story. Additionally, any sense of irony with the brother’s letter was lost on me as well. I’ll be interested to read other interpretations on this piece, as perhaps I was in too dark a frame of mind to fully appreciate certain aspects (I recently wrote a short fiction western that was heavily influenced by Blood Meridian and The Sisters Brothers, which are both excellent reads that I’d recommend to anyone).

Bootaaay - Resume: A concept that started off wonderful and clear, but then became a bit muddled and didn’t fully form into a story. The initial setting and world-building was set up nicely (I think the protagonist could spend an extra paragraph or two at the beginning outside of the Resume Industries technological paradise… perhaps he could be conflicted with something separate from the interview… a memory?). I also found myself very intrigued with what I first perceived Akerman’s “invention” to be; a virtual avatar of a person created by physical information (i.e. Facebook posts, emails, etc.). I actually stopped reading, sat back, and wondered what my virtual AI representation would be like if it was a culmination of all of my online activity, and how different it would be from the real me. I found this question fascinating. Unfortunately, the whole “virtual reality” aspect became part of the equation (admittedly VR was introduced early through the VR Arcade, but I found myself wishing it wasn’t). Once the protagonist was reliving a VR setting, I found myself losing some interest toward the concept (and I was also confused as to how the setting was perfectly recreated, etc). Then we come to the final paragraph, which is pretty much just the writer (Bootaaay, not the protagonist) typing out his opinion on this hypothetical. In fact, aside from the strong opening scene, the entire story feels more like a hypothetical than a story. There’s next to no conflict between the protagonist and Akerman, almost no tension in any of the scenes. Which is too bad, because there’s some really interesting stuff manifested in this concept. I think it’s a piece with promise, and one I would suggest revisiting. Oh, and if you ever do meet the AI VR version of online me, I swear I’m less of a dick in real life.

Let's see some critiques, people. Critiques are the lifeblood of workshopping, and they WILL make your own work better too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom