• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Reports To Include Walmart Data Starting Next Month.

Saty

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/24/npd-monthly-reports-integrate-walmart-data-starting-next-month/

Despite being revealed this past February, the past several months of NPD reports haven't included Walmart's numbers.

"Our enhanced retail coverage, including the addition of several new retailers, begins with May data released on Thursday, June 14," Riley told me in an email yesterday. While he couldn't supply a list of all of the retailers involved, he told me, "Yes, it does include Walmart."

Gaborn

just to clarify because I've seen people confused in the past about this, NPD never IGNORED walmart, they just had to estimate part of the market's sales including walmart. Which means the data should be more accurate but probably not all that different than what we've been getting.

mpl90 - Not if NPD was doing a good job with their estimations.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ok, more accurate. Better than nothing
but we'd like to see those more accurate numbers

EXGN

It's a good step, but they still need digital download data. It's ridiculous to not count downloads with games like Minecraft and Walking Dead selling millions in mere days.

Pociask

As part of the deal, however, NPD also announced that they would only be announcing the top three titles for each month. In addition, rather than revealing the name of the title, NPD announced it would release a word search, in which the three top titles would be hidden in the form of an anagram.

ZenaxPure

As part of the deal, however, NPD also announced that they would only be announcing the top three titles for each month. In addition, rather than revealing the name of the title, NPD announced it would release a word search, in which the three top titles would be hidden in the form of an anagram.

Sad thing is I'm not even sure if that's a joke or not. NPD makes no sense.

Mpl90

And the anagram will be written with invisible ink on a little piece of paper, which will be put in a bottle that will be abandoned in the sea. A sea full of sharks.

How does the film industry manage to release all their numbers every week, while the videogame industry cant release a single number? This shit holds back videogames so much.

UraMallas

As I read the OP title I got excited, hoping we were going to get specific numbers again. I guess this is good but greater accuracy would only be worth it if we had specific numbers, really.

It's a good step, but they still need digital download data. It's ridiculous to not count downloads with games like Minecraft and Walking Dead selling millions in mere days.

Didn't NPD announce a little while ago that they were going to start including digital numbers?

They really need to get on that because otherwise it makes it look like the games industry is shrinking into nothingness.

Mpl90

How does the film industry manage to release all their numbers every week, while the videogame industry cant release a single number? This shit holds back videogames so much.

Yes, this is something perplexing. A lot. And also something that shows how much videogaming has still to do to be considered a media as other ones.

just to clarify because I've seen people confused in the past about this, NPD never IGNORED walmart, they just had to estimate part of the market's sales including walmart. Which means the data should be more accurate but probably not all that different than what we've been getting.

Exactly.

It's hard I know I this will raise or lower NPD numbers because we don't know if they over or underestimated Walmart.

Unfortunately NPD is the only reliable tracker in the industry for North America with no one else being able to bother to track anything.

Fortunately they are reliable. Unlike a certain other "tracker" - if they can be called that. So we're stuck with only one source and they have to respect the wishes of their customers (i.e. Sony) not to disclose embarrassing figures.

Didn't NPD announce a little while ago that they were going to start including digital numbers?

They really need to get on that because otherwise it makes it look like the games industry is shrinking into nothingness.
Yes, but not with their retail tracking. Also, they're evidently using customer polling for their DD data so it's not quite the same thing.

Unfortunately NPD is the only reliable tracker in the industry for North America with no one else being able to bother to track anything.

Fortunately they are reliable. Unlike a certain other "tracker" - if they can be called that. So we're stuck with only one source and they have to respect the wishes of their customers (i.e. Sony) not to disclose embarrassing figures.

We need a group like the TV advertisers that will force the companies to release numbers. I really think that movies like Avengers get a boost from people hearing how much money they make and not wanting to miss out on the next big thing. I think the videogame industry could have a similar thing happen if they hyped their numbers the way the film industry does.

JGS

Banned
Billboard could start tracking immediately since games are sold in the same places as other media. They would need to add Gamestop and be good to go. For some reason, it's not worth it.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

Because cinemas are strictly for showing movies

It's much easier to set the terms and make it standard when you're the only draw :p

That and there's a lot more places that sell games than cinemas showing movies so it's much more difficult to get numbers

Because cinemas are strictly for showing movies

It's much easier to set the terms and make it standard when you're the only draw :p

That and there's a lot more places that sell games than cinemas showing movies so it's much more difficult to get numbers

That makes sense but the music industry also tracks album ales, and the TV industry tracks viewers. There mut be a way to get numbers and put the NPD out of business.

test_account

XP-39C²
In what way is videogames being held back without getting sales numbers? I love to see sales numbers, but i dont see how it holds anything back.

Cygnus X-1

Thanks for saying that.

Duffyside

Banned
So they get the Wal-Mart numbers about, what, a decade too late? So I guess we can look forward to NPD counting digital sales by about 2023?

Good job, NPD! You're still so totally relevant and important!

UberTag

Wake me when they start including digital sales. And sharing the information they actually do have.
NPD no longer has relevance in Sales Age.

donny2112

NPD: You know all those months of YOY declines we were talking about? Well, we kind of messed up our Wal-Mart multiplier, so kind of forget all that, K!

Road

You had me until anagram -- too complicated for NPD's tracking system.

Will it be possible for them to adjust some previous numbers if their estimates were not accurate?
Not only possible but very likely.

Top Bottom