• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Guide to Making Animated GIFS. (2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The FREE software way. (need VirtualDub and GIMP)

1. Find video you like. Like this one- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsPp4tfBnGk Load and pause a few seconds before you want to capture.
2. Create new folder on desktop (you'll just use this as a picture dump folder)
3. OpenVirtdub (download free here- http://www.virtualdub.org/)
4. Snap browser window to left, Virtualdub windopw to right
5. In virtualdub select- File > Capture AVI.
6. [NOTE]Settings you might need to change-
  • Device > make sure you have screen capture selected
  • Video > set custom format (I use 640x480 so it only catptures the video on the left). video.
  • video > source- make sure open GL is off
  • cature > stop conditions (I set the capture to stop automatically to prevent a problem I've had with the capture not wanting to stop. Set tis to what ever you like- 5,10,15 secs..)

Now to capture.

7.File > set capture file. Any name, save to desktop

8. Start capture, start playback in browser window, stop captture when done.
9. Stop video, minimize browser.
10. In Vdub- File> exit capture mode
11. Drag new video file into Vdub.

At this point you'll be able to mess with the video. Trim the length, adjust playback, or whatever. I normallly don't bother.

12. When done- File > Export > Image seqence
13. Save to dump folder you created.
14. Open folder. Examine contents. This is where I adjust the "framerate" of the gif. You can do this quickley by adjusting the size of the folder to create 2 rows of pictures and then deleting 1 row, thus halving the framerate. Yopu can also delete frames from the start and end of the capture which you don't want as part of the gif.

Then ends the Vdub portion. Now open your image program. (I use GIMP, download free here- http://www.gimp.org/ )

15. Open gimp, new file.
16. File > open as layers. Select all your pictures you kept in the folder. (Select first, shift-select last)
17. Open.
18. Make all you adjuctments. Crop photo, add text, adjust colors, resize, etc.
19. Image > mode > indexed. Select- full color pallete, color ditering- positiened.
20. Filter> animation > optimize for differtence.
21. Filter > animation > playback to watch gif.
21. Save as something.gif, save as animation, adjust frame deley (if wanted), save.
23. Upload to net. (I use imgur if under 2mb, minus if over)

Done!

gJHtU.gif

Method # 2 ( from SunhiLegend) (need Adobe software and Fraps)

My method when watching a stream/live event, however you need Adobe software and Fraps.

1. Record using fraps while watching stream.
2. Convert to mp4 using a video converter.
3. Open Photoshop, import frames to layers. Select frames.
4. File - Save for web - save as gif.

To create a gif with text and special fx

1. Record using fraps.
2. Open in After effects.
3. Make the necessary changes, adding text, special fx etc.
4. Save as MP4
5. open in Photoshop and save as gif.

To cut down on size use frame skip in after effects to either 1 or 2.

Mac Method #1 (from Sentry ) (need GIFbrewery ($5) and Quicktime)

Since there's no Mac methods in here, I recommend GIFBrewery. Not freeware ($5) but it's really worth it, makes everything super simple. All you do is add the video file, set a start/end point for the gif, and boom. You can use QuickTime to record a selected portion of your screen, such as a YouTube video viewer, then just drag that into GIFBrewery. No need for PhotoShop, GIMP, Vdub, video converters, etc.

After finding a video you want to record, use QuickTime to screen-cap it;

dARjZ.png
7FCZX.png

8UGwT.png

Once you stop recording, the video is automatically saved to your videos folder. Open that video in GIFBrewery and you're practically done. You can mess with image size and frame rates here, as well as trim your original recording down frame by frame, setting a start and end point. There's also a 'modes' setting that lets you make a reverse gif, or a looped forward-then-backward gif (Palindrome example below).

Tvmbz.png
WRidN.png

R3Gly.gif

This is the easiest, fastest, and simplest way I found to do it. Alternatively if you own Photoshop, you can just import the QT recorded video into layers there, then save for web etc.

Using Potplayer and Photoshop (from translator) (need Potplayer (free) and Photoshop)

My preferred way of capturing video for GIF-making is using PotPlayer. (It's also my preferred video player.)

PotPlayer's capture menu looks like this (click here). Here you can capture individual frames or just capture the video.

This (click here) is the video capture menu. These settings work for me for when I later import into Photoshop.

This (click here) is where you click to import a video into Photoshop as frames (mp4 and avi should work). After importing you can add text or whatever which is easiest to do after you've switched into time line view. If you don't you have to work frame by frame.

So to save the GIF you go to File -> Save for Web. Play around with the settings there until your GIF isn't 20MB. You'll probably want to resize the image before trying Save for Web, it might save Photoshop from crashing if the file is too big.

So to recap:
1) Get PotPlayer.
2) Use PotPlayer to either capture frames or video.
3.1) If you have Photoshop you can import the video into a frame animation (or just import the frames into layers and find make frame animation somewhere).
3.2) If you don't have Photoshop you can use something else (which might only work with frames).
4) Save GIF after making sure it's not huge.
5) Upload and use as reaction GIF instead of writing proper posts.

stephenfry01cbqtb.gif

I'll update the OP with other peoples methods too

noah111

Still Alive
Screen record > Export to mov > Import video frames to layers (PS) > Save for web

That's how I usually do it, anyway. Plus, Vdub is Windows only. :|

My method when watching a stream/live event, however you need Adobe software and Fraps.

1. Record using fraps while watching stream.
2. Convert to mp4 using a video converter.
3. Open Photoshop, import frames to layers. Select frames.
4. File - Save for web - Select settings, colours, dither etc.
5. Save as gif.

To create a gif with text and special fx

1. Record using fraps.
2. Open in After effects.
3. Make the necessary changes, adding text, special fx etc.
4. Save as MP4
5. Open in Photoshop and save as gif.

To cut down on size use frame skip in after effects to either 1 or 2.

Usually upload to abload.de or minus.com

Fury Sense

VirtualDub vs Fraps vs Camstudio???

I've been using camstudio, while it works better on a 32 bit system, I've been satisfied using it on 64 as well

soepje

Hm, i´m almost there.. My first real animated gif.. But somehow i can´t save it as a .gif, i just get .xcf or .bz2 as options. And when i try to export it as a gif it doesn´t work either.. I get the following message:
You can use this dialog to export to various file formats. If you want to save the image to the GIMP XCF format, use File→Save instead.
I click the only option: OK, and nothing follows..

What am i doing wrong? :(

Hm, i´m almost there.. My first real animated gif.. But somehow i can´t save it as a .gif, i just get .xcf or .bz2 as options. And when i try to export it as a gif it doesn´t work either.. I get the following message:

I click the only option: OK, and nothing follows..

What am i doing wrong? :(

You're getting this dialog in GIMP when you go to File > Save as...?

soepje

You're getting this dialog in GIMP when you go to File > Save as...?
No, when i try to 'save as' in GIMP i just get options like .xcf and .bz2, but not .gif. So i thought maybe if i export it i get the .gif option, but that also doesn´t seem to work.

Great OP btw :)

I use a completely different method with legacy software, that's far less efficient than these approaches. It does take longer but I feel a bit more in control of the results because I'm more familiar with the software.

These are great though - and I love the "framerate" hint of viewing the images as two columns and deleting one - its brilliant and very simple.

Thread is a great resource, especially at this time of year.

No, when i try to 'save as' in GIMP i just get options like .xcf and .bz2, but not .gif. So i thought maybe if i export it i get the .gif option, but that also doesn´t seem to work.

Great OP btw :)

That's strange. So you're looking for the .gif extension and not finding it? Can you just type in the whole file name and save it? Just type in Myfirstgif.gif, and save.

Bombadil

Banned
Awesome, but I'm having problems with making sure the video I want to turn into a gif is full captured in the preview. When I dragged the file into vdub after recording, only the top third of the video had made it into the video.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438369
ive been using this method for the past 2-3 months and it's hella easy and very quick and gifs turn out great. i can make a gif in ~2 minutes.
just thought i would share, only really works for yt videos though.
You should really consider using easy youtube downloader because that makes on .mp4 from youtube and that imports straight intro photoshop/gimp. No conversion needed.

Awesome, but I'm having problems with making sure the video I want to turn into a gif is full captured in the preview. When I dragged the file into vdub after recording, only the top third of the video had made it into the video.

Under Video make sure preview is selected (make sure you're in capture mode.) Then you'll see a window in Vdub of what they'll be capturing. Then you can use set custom format to capture a larger area to get the whole video in.

Chesskid1

Banned
You should really consider using easy youtube downloader because that makes on .mp4 from youtube and that imports straight intro photoshop/gimp. No conversion needed.

i'm not sure what you are referring to cause i'm dumb, but i usually just grab the 1080p off youtube using a downloader in mp4, i use avidemux to select the parts of video i want to gif and it saves as JPEG images, then use the jasc animation workshop to open all the jpgs and it'll make it a gif.

this is coming from someone who doesn't know crap about gif/photo manipulation so i highly recommend the tutorial i posted earlier.

the quality comes out great too, heres one i made.

http://i.minus.com/ibvOMYcD9TMPYh.gif

soepje

That's strange. So you're looking for the .gif extension and not finding it? Can you just type in the whole file name and save it? Just type in Myfirstgif.gif, and save.
That doesn´t work either, it tells me i should use export if i want to save it as GIF.

I used export instead of save as now.. and i think i got it..

Jvw8v.gif

I´m so proud.. I´d like to thank OP, virtdub, gimp and imgur for making this historical moment possible.

dabig2

that is indeed very nice, but I thought that you had a .flv file and converted it first.
Are you using gimp or PS for the final gif part? Because in PS you can select the part of the .mp4 and than convert it no need for a special program to cut the .mp4

Nah, he's using Jasc Animation to compile the frames into a .gif. But he gets the frames using Avidemux I presume. That program takes in virtually every video file (including .flv), cuts that video into frames, and then you save whatever selection of frames you need for the .gif as JPEG images.

Then you open up Jasc Animation (OR Gimp) and make your .gif with those frames. Like the OP's procedure, it's just a 2 step process. Unlike the OP's though, you can't do this with streaming video. You need to have the video downloaded to your HDD (though again, no converting needed usually).

Nah, he's using Jasc Animation to compile the frames into a .gif. But he gets the frames using Avidemux I presume. That program takes in virtually every video file (including .flv), cuts that video into frames, and then you save whatever selection of frames you need for the .gif as JPEG images.

Then you open up Jasc Animation (OR Gimp) and make your .gif with those frames. Like the OP's procedure, it's just a 2 step process. Unlike the OP's though, you can't do this with streaming video. You need to have the video downloaded to your HDD (though again, no converting needed usually).
ah thanks for the clarification! :O

noah111

Still Alive
Since there's no Mac methods in here, I recommend GIFBrewery. Not freeware ($5) but it's really worth it, makes everything super simple. All you do is add the video file, set a start/end point for the gif, and boom. You can use QuickTime to record a selected portion of your screen, such as a YouTube video viewer, then just drag that into GIFBrewery. No need for PhotoShop, GIMP, Vdub, video converters, etc.

After finding a video you want to record, use QuickTime to screen-cap it;

dARjZ.png
7FCZX.png

8UGwT.png

Once you stop recording, the video is automatically saved to your videos folder. Open that video in GIFBrewery and you're practically done. You can mess with image size and frame rates here, as well as trim your original recording down frame by frame, setting a start and end point. There's also a 'modes' setting that lets you make a reverse gif, or a looped forward-then-backward gif (Palindrome example below).

Tvmbz.png
WRidN.png

R3Gly.gif

This is the easiest, fastest, and simplest way I found to do it. Alternatively if you own Photoshop, you can just import the QT recorded video into layers there, then save for web etc.

Solo

How to I crop the image in GIMP?

EDIT: okay, so I made a GIF, but why in the hell is the playback like half speed (or less) of the original?

Solo

My first attempt. I apologize for the size (8mb). Obviously I need some tips so make it a lot leaner.

*removed for Version 2*

How to I crop the image in GIMP?

EDIT: okay, so I made a GIF, but why in the hell is the playback like half speed (or less) of the original?

To crop use the crop tool. Be sure the box is unchecked to crop all the layers at the same time.

8Yv0e.jpg

You can change the framerate at the last dialog that pops when you save. The lower the number the faster the playback will be.

Zwvf6.jpg

dabig2

Is this better than the Avidemux/Jasc Animation Shop combination?

The Avidemux/Jasc works perfect for when the video is already downloaded to your HDD (You can actually substitute Gimp for Jasc as well).

But if you want to make a .gif of a streaming video or of your desktop in general, you will need to use virtualdub.

Actually, that's really where the difference in the approaches is: Avidemux vs VirtualDub. Avidemux is more n00b friendly imo, but virtualdub is cooler in that you can capture streaming video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom