• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Apple opening Apple TV up to third party devs at wwdc

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/08/apple-reportedly-set-to-open-up-apple-tv-to-third-party-developers-at-wwdc/

Following up on its report from last week claiming that Apple will show off the operating system for its future television set product at next week's Worldwide Developers Conference, BGR now briefly reports that Apple will be using the event to introduce a new software development kit (SDK) to allow third-party developers to build apps for the Apple TV.
We have heard from a trusted source that Apple will be introducing a TV SDK at WWDC next week. This would enable third-party developers to create software for Apple’s TV products.

The report reveals no other details on Apple plans, but we do note that Steve Jobs himself admitted just as the revised Apple TV was launching in September 2010 that the company could open an App Store for the Apple TV "when the time is right".

With rumors of an Apple television set continuing to build, Apple may now consider the time right to begin allowing developers to build apps for the existing Apple TV set-top box ahead of the company's larger entry into the market.

If/when this happens, what type of potential do you see this having for the device?

dkeane

I just want to know what devs will use as a baseline of interaction.
Will apps be designed around the shitty remote that comes with Apple TV?
Or will it be necessary for users to have a iPhone/iPad?

giga

OFFICIAL XBMC SUPPORT!!

timcooklaughing.jpg

"This guy."

itxaka

Defeatist
Except I dont see third parties jumping on board for Samsung like they will Apple.

Talking from the ignorance here but as far as I understand the SmarTV thingie has quite some apps.

I have only seen it on a friends home, and this is Spain which is normally shafted in terms of digital services and the thing had everything and more.

Of course we are talking about a tv, with a remote control so unless apple launches a special remote control with it, the kind of apps you can use is limited.

neptunes

You'll most likely have to control apps with your iOS device.

Maybe apple could a release an empty touch screen remote, for the few of those who dont own an iOS device.

Enco

You'll mos likely have to control app with your iOS device.

Maybe apple could a release an empty touch screen remote, for the few of those who dont own an iOS device.
Doubt they're stupid enough to make owning an iOS device necessary.

Nice. I love my apple tv. But this better not be only for apple tv 3. Is there much of a horsepower difference between 2 and 3 that would make the 2 exempt from this? I know apple loves to stop supporting hardware that is only a few years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom