• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just updated the firmware on my watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So, something I did today. It's a little bulkier than I would prefer. The strap is pretty inelegant and may well be replaced. But I'm in the future now, and you can all feel free to join me whenever you like.

I've loved the idea of smartwatches since before the first prototype even existed. They're what people from the future wear. You, grand cynic, might think they are lame or pointless or even dorky, but I do not fear your scorn. I embrace this incoming technology with ironclad arms.

To that end, I finally got one. There have been a lot of different ones I have been interested in over the years and the good ones have all always been prohibitively expensive purchases for me. But yesterday I found a Motorola Motoactv on Craigslist. Retails for $205; it's a great little device:
oQKLQ.jpg

The wrist strap an extra $20-30. That makes it look like this:
C2sb6.jpg

Had to drive down to Miami, but I got both from the dude for $125. Too good a deal to pass up; thank you Craig.

Full disclosure: this isn't so much a true smartwatch as it is a really good fitness tracker with smartwatch-like features. I really got it because I've been getting a lot into personal fitness over the past few months and have started biking a lot again and just generally being more active, and it has some really awesome tracking features (I'll get to that).

But first off, I had a rather odd and enlightening experience.

I started playing around with it and I found it to be an obviously cool and fully functional device with some annoying flaws. There seemed to be no setting to keep its screen on all-times at low brightness or anything of the sort, meaning you always had to hit a button to see the time. It struck me as silly how little companies thought about this because it so severely limits the functionality as a watch. Then I noticed how little there was in the way of smartphone interoperability. Luckily I only have Motorola phones (yay Verizon + keyboard -_-), so it all set up flawlessly, but only text and calls would actually come through the watch. A lot of the review mentioned low battery life as a big con. Finally, it does WiFi syncing of all fitness data which is a feature that I was really looking forward to, but... the app it came with doesn't let you add hidden SSIDs, which mine is. Derp.

The screen is really nice, smooth, and responsive, and the software is polished, but these are big flaws. So after that I was resigned to having a very cool little fitness device that I'd use for rides and workouts and not much else.

Then I updated the firmware.

Now this thing is fucking awesome.

As the updates were installing I read through the changelogs. It's like they were written for me personally.

Some cool features that were added to my watch before my eyes:
Wrist Motion Screen Activation
Activate your display with a flick of the wrist. That's right, no more fumbling for the power button. It's a super-convenient feature for all-day tracking.
Yeah this is awesome. Once you get used to it this works incredibly well. You can blow peoples' minds with this feature honestly; it looks like it just turns on when you go to check the time. One down.

Some updates that almost double the stock battery life and add a bunch (40+) of custom activities that weren't available before. Then there's:

See Facebook and Twitter
Get wall posts and tweets directly on your MOTOACTV. Just go to the Google Play Store and search for MOTOACTV Facebook and Twitter plug-ins on your Android smartphone. Install the plug-ins along with the latest version of the MOTOACTV app.
Now you can add feeds from Facebook, Twitter and Accuweather (not mentioned but it's on the market and it's actually my favorite concept). Touché.

And finally, just 8 days ago:
Easier Wi-Fi Network Setup
You can run, but your SSID can no longer hide! If your Wi-Fi network’s name (SSID) is hidden, you can still configure your MOTOACTV. Don’t worry. We’ll make it quick and easy.
...huh. Well that's all my major concerns gone. Now it basically won't come off my wrist.

This thing is perfect for me really. It can track all my fitness stuff, bike routes, calories burned, average speed, etc., and it'll sync it wirelessly every time I come home. I can get a text or facebook message and look at my watch to see what it is. I can get a call, look at my wrist to see who's calling, and then answer on my bluetooth headset (also a motorola product... I swear I'm not a shill for them), no wires. It's waterproof enough to run in the rain or shower with it on. 7GB of music storage, and it can even track which songs you perform the best with during workouts and compile a "peak workout" playlist. ANT+ support for stuff like wireless heart rate monitors, etc.

Really impressive tech. For the curious, it's apparently been rooted and all that good stuff.

After how overwhelmingly successful the very clever Pebble kickstarter was, it's clear that these kinds of devices are going to be embraced.
UXP0M.jpg

Are you planning to get one? Are there features you need that just aren't there yet? Too costly (I'd never have paid over 200 for this thing)?

TL,DR: I got a Motoactv, updated the firmware and it is a sweet piece of tech and my new fulltime smartwatch. What are your thoughts on smartwatches at present and in the future?

Mistle

Did that watch Kickstarter really make $10,000,000? That is absolutely insane. Why did people keep donating so much towards a watch after it was already funded? Haha. You'd think at 1mil you'd stop donating.. or 2mil.. or 5mil.. but it really made it to 10mil.

Better be the best damn watch ever. (though I'd assume a lot of the extra money would have went into producing more of them)

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
My smartphone does everything that watch does and my hand is always near my pocket in daily life.

abusori

These things look really damn awesome.

I just spent a few minutes trying to convince myself I need one of those Pebble watches, but honestly I don't need or want a single function. Oh well. I guess I'm getting boring in my poorness already.

Oh also this:

The whole "lets spell out the time with words" thing has got to stop.

Come on, humanity.

FillerB

Did that watch Kickstarter really make $10,000,000? That is absolutely insane. Why did people keep donating so much towards a watch after it was already funded? Haha. You'd think at 1mil you'd stop donating.. or 2mil.. or 5mil.. but it really made it to 10mil.

Better be the best damn watch ever. (though I'd assume a lot of the extra money would have went into producing more of them)

If you "donated" $115 you would get the watch when it was finished. The final retail price will be $150. People apparently like getting discounts. Who knew.

Anyways I'm holding out until the first real reviews of the Pebble are out. Seems like a neat little toy to develop for and mess around with but I want to know some more about the quality of the thing before smacking down $100+.

Septimius

If you "donated" $115 you would get the watch when it was finished. The final retail price will be $150. People apparently like getting discounts. Who knew.

Anyways I'm holding out until the first real reviews of the Pebble are out. Seems like a neat little toy to develop for and mess around with but I want to know some more about the quality of the thing before smacking down $100+.

It has the brand of a standardized test proofing it safe under water to 40m. I doubt there'll be anything to say about the quality. I'm excited as FUCK about that watch.

Mistle

Makes sense, I didn't consider rewards and effectively purchasing the watch.

Ceebs

There are watches with firmware?

I don't even have a normal watch...

The everything needs to be connected and digital craze is out of control. I am going to feel like those off the grid mountain men in a few years at this rate.

Woorloog

Banned
The everything needs to be connected and digital craze is out of control.

Indeed.
Suddenly these fictional threats to technology don't feel so unrealistic... Something like them happens and everyone is like "argh, i don't know time, i don't where i am, i don't know what i should be doing!"

dabig2

These smartwatches really, really intrigue me. I wouldn't mind developing for one in my spare time.

Funny though, I haven't owned a watch in a decade though.

Amazing looking watch. Does it connect to Nike+? I use Nike+ a lot using my iPhone 4S with an armband but it's too bulky. Wish I had the money for a watch with Nike+ functionality.

Ceebs

Indeed.
Suddenly these fictional threats to technology don't feel so unrealistic... Something like them happens and everyone is like "argh, i don't know time, i don't where i am, i don't know what i should be doing!"

Everything went the wrong way to me. Instead of small tech that is totally unobtrusive in your normal life we now have devices that want to be part of your lifestyle.

Where is my credit card size (both dimensions and thickness) cell phone that is simply a keypad and nothing else? Something like that is far more appealing to me than "Smart" devices.

Woorloog

Banned
Everything went the wrong way to me. Instead of small tech that is totally unobtrusive in your normal life we now have devices that want to be part of your lifestyle.

Where is my credit card size (both dimensions and thickness) cell phone that is simply a keypad and nothing else? Something like that is far more appealing to me than "Smart" devices.

Eh, i just want all this stuff moved to cybernetic implants. Credit card could be a microscopic chip in your finger.

Woorloog

Banned
Identity theft would become appendage theft. :)

Yeah, well, make sure the chip needs constant bloodflow or something like that... cutting off fingers would be useless then. Now admittedly you could try to simulate bloodflow but is not that easy.
EDIT besides, i think there are fewer criminals who'd be willing to cut off a finger than steal a credit card.

dejay

Banned
Who still wears watches in 2012?

Apparently all those who funded that kickstarter and myself, who works in a time critical job and has to check the time 20-30 times a day. Getting my phone out of my pocket all the time is a pain, as I've discovered on days where I have forgotten my watch.

ReBurn

Gold Member
My watch just broke the other day and I want a new one. But I think I'm going to stick with Timex or something. I don't want a watch that I have to have a degree to operate.

The whole "lets spell out the time with words" thing has got to stop.

Come on, humanity.

I met a high school graduate last weekend who couldn't read an analog clock. Humanity really is doomed.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I haven't worn a watch for 10 years. This future vision you're proposing to me might as well feature space Zeppelins.
I hope that it does

Amazing looking watch. Does it connect to Nike+? I use Nike+ a lot using my iPhone 4S with an armband but it's too bulky. Wish I had the money for a watch with Nike+ functionality.
Good question. They are sort of competing products, but I'd like to know if there is any crosstalk too.

Tuck

I just use a smart phone. I never liked watches much.

Tbh, I'm not sure whether I like the idea of a smart watch. It seems kind of pointless - I tried my friend's iPod touch once and it was just so small. Maybe its something where you have to get used to it, or you need to try it to like it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Does it actually connect to a heart rate monitor, or are those estimates?

Dunno what you mean by estimates, this is a fitness device first and foremost. Wireless HRM from Moto

Any ANT+ HRM will work.

edit: Oh I get you- yeah, if you don't have an HRM connected, it will estimate calorie but based on your height/weight/age and current activity/intensity.
Does anyone know how this compares to a Garmin Forerunner or similar in terms of features?
I do!

Very similar features- comparing the 910XT; exceptions:
-Color touchscreen
-8GB Mp3 player
-Can display GPS maps/routes on screen
-Bluetooth smartphone/headphone connection
-Tracks more casual data that the Garmin, like calories
-Remote sync via phone if you need to
-Smartphone notifications
-Less battery life
-Doesn't measure altitude/elevation
-Can't swim with it like you can with the Garmin (or Pebble, very cool feature)
-Substantially cheaper

The Garmin's probably a better hardcore fitness device, more accurate and long-lasting, but has a much less robust total feature set.

8bit

Knows the Score
I bust my Metawatch last week when trying to upgrade the firmware. Getting SMS sent to my watch is awesome.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I bust my Metawatch last week when trying to upgrade the firmware. Getting SMS sent to my watch is awesome.
You bust it like it broke?

That thing is cool, I like the aesthetic of it and that it's a dev platform. A very cool option for people who don't care about the MP3/fitness features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom