• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Q2 (4/1/12 - 6/30/12) Hip-Hop Wrapup: That's That Shit I Do Like

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

TOP FREE ALBUMS RELEASED

Sample Song
Sounds Like – West coast take on boom bap with free-fire Doom-isms

Sample Song
Sample Song #2
Three Volume Ultimate Compilation
Sounds like - Ignorant Ratchet Shit, Car/Club/Fuck Muzik

Sample Song
Sounds like - Young NY rapper that flirts with backpack rap, boom bap, and swaggerisms simultaneously

Sample Song
Sounds Like- David Banner gets ignorant and a bit promiscuous, southern trunk muzik

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Raw NY gangsta rap wit a debonair flair

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Chilled out Vol.1 era Jay-Z

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Downtempo NY boom bap with MF Doom eccentricities and a revivalist flair

Sample Song
Sounds Like – XV if he abandoned the gimmicks, leveled up, and got on some real shit

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Pop/Rap hybrid with really melodic/ambient song structure

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Ignorant swag music with a tongue-in-cheek sense of humor

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Chilled out shit that's too explicit to be backpack, but too conscious to be pure swag music

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Spontaneous rhymes, free of a lane restriction, just fooling on the mic

Sample Song
Sounds Like – A Lo-Fi revivalist gangsta-rap album that borrows from the old west-coast and southern trill shit

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Bangers, car muzik, boom bap with a southern braggadocio in spirit

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Dark, suicidal, confessional ambient rap

Quarter One Thread

HiResDes

TOP ALBUMS RELEASED

Sample Song
Needledrop Review
Sounds Like –Killer Mike embracing the Killer part of his name with prototypical ElP production, southern boom bap

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Abstract thought, both of a provocative and thoughtless nature spit over hype beats

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Picture your favorite backpack rapper visiting Methodman during his Tical session and making beats that were dabbled both in an experimental and electronic aesthetic to go along with it

Sample Song
Sounds Like – A rapper/producer/auteur, with a knack for crafting unique experimental/electronic beats

Sample Song
Sounds Like – See the Lushlife description, though more orchestral/big in sound

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Downtempo boom bap that brings a real raw soulful vibe to the plate

Sample Song
Sounds Like – If you're favorite swag-rapper was extremely well-read and capable of astute wit

Sample Song
Sounds like – Crooked-I breaking out and showing some range, tackling both reflective and ignorant lanes, with a west-coast flair

Sample Song
Sounds like - A really high quality vintage east-coast boom bap album with top-notch heydey Premier-esque beats[/URL][/B]

Sample Song
Needledrop Review
Sounds like- Southern rap that attempts to occupy both a soulful and reflective lane while simultaneously trying to appease fans of ignorant trill shit

Esch

Banned
dukie.gif

HiResDes

Almost included the 14 Karat Canvas album by TriState, but I must say I tipped this particular list towards being well-rounded rather than my usual lane favoring.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I usually never agree with HRD on anything, but that Chuuwee is the shit.

Your Highness >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Murder Over Jordans for silver.

EDIT: In fact, I'm downloading Watching The Throne now.

RJT

XV doesn't even get a mention on the top 15? Damn...

I didn't like Popular Culture that much, so not complaining. Just sad to see such a talented guy not live up to the hype.

RJT

I'm pretty happy with Cancer 4 Cure being up there. It doesn't get enough love on GAF-HOP. The production is better than on RAP Music and El-P has some dope conceptual songs with a great atmosphere. Particularly "If you kill him I won't tell" (forgot he actual song name).

I listen to Cancer 4 Cure more, quiet as kept though. KRIT is lucky to make my list, almost put up I Exist by Phillie instead.
I'd agree that C4C has better production but as a complete I think killer mike is much better. El-P cannot keep up with his own production on most songs rap wise, he does kill some songs tho. His album is actually one of the few albums were I wish it had more features aka better rappers and I'm typically someone who buys an album for that artist lol.

Edit: I don't like that Lushlife nor Oddisee as much as yall do :/. There's a few songs I like on both but their overall rapping I can't get into. Also, I'm not feeling the production on lushlife, but I love production on the Oddisee.

Esch

Banned
I'd agree that C4C has better production but as a complete I think killer mike is much better. El-P cannot keep up with his own production on most songs rap wise, he does kill some songs tho. His album is actually one of the few albums were I wish it had more features aka better rappers and I'm typically someone who buys an album for that artist lol..

You know i thought so too, but then i realized EL has some cool ass punchlines. Lowkey he can be a really fun emcee to listen to on this album.

goodfella

I don't know if KRIT is getting worse, or if he has just released too much too quickly, either way, my opinion of him has gone way down since 4EVA.

I love this Def Jux resurgence, looking forward to Skelethon.

Oh, and thanks for the list HiResDes, I've got some stuff to check out now!

HiResDes

I don't know if KRIT is getting worse, or if he has just released too much too quickly, either way, my opinion of him has gone way down since 4EVA.

I love this Def Jux resurgence, looking forward to Skelethon.

Oh, and thanks for the list HiResDes, I've got some stuff to check out now!

Like I said I barely put KRIT on the list, but I had to given that I listen to about four or five tracks off the album all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom