• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeons |OT| of a game series that never even had a chance

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
fpgC1.jpg

Fair warning up front: Games require an internet connection on startup. Although no constant internet connection required, this may still sour some people.
Also: Ignore any comment about Dungeon Keeper.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Info Box |

Developer: Realmforge
Publisher: Kalypso Media
Steam Store Links: Dungeons 1 aka Dungeons Steam Special Edition, Dungeons 2 aka Dungeons - The Dark Lord
Prices (Sale price in red will be updated accordingly):
Code:
         Dungeons         Dungeons2          Dungeons Gold  
----------------------------------------------------------------------
EU |    75% off/13,99      75% off/18,99         75% off/29,99
UK |    75% off/11,99      75% off/14,99         75% off/24,99
US |    75% off/14,99      75% off/19,99         75% off/29,99

| Screens |

ss_1bb23bfd3d6ead87e55e2cf442d462f38f09fdb3.1920x1080.jpg
ss_b9c7eb4182d1f434e3fa2a631aae6ae1949058d0.1920x1080.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ss_19a16e7eb4c4bbbc5413c191ab897562cd5dceaf.1920x1080.jpg
ss_f3d00d6b883ffa5da28e20150db5113ec227a787.1920x1080.jpg

| FAQYMBA |

What is this game about?
Scroll down to the Gameplay section or continue reading, I'll tell you later. But in short: A more or less rather basic dungeon simulator with some tower defense elements thrown in, where you take an active part in defending your dungeon.

So its like Dungeon Keeper?
No, its not a sequel and also doesnt play like it. People expecting that WILL be disappointed. Just try to avoid this comparison altogether and judge this game on its own merits. No more Dungeon Keeper talk now.

Why an OT for this game?
THESE games. Its a series, with 2 whole entries! And why not? Its not THAT old, and I wager not enough people have played it.

...yeah, but I heard it had a pretty bad Review average? Like 65% Metacritic.
Gnghng, I was hoping we'd avoid that topic. But since the elephant is now firmly standing before us: This game is not as bad as the 65% Metacritic ranking suggests.
1. This game has been advertised and received (pre launch) as a Dungeon Keeper sequel, which it simply is not. This led to a huge disappointment and (understandably), people scoring it lower for their high expectations now being thoroughly crushed. Seriously, now no more Dungeon Keeper talk.
2. Dungeons 1 had quite a few issues that hampered the enjoyment of the player. However, almost all of the big gameplay issues (like for example a dissatisfying zooming option) have been remedied in the sequel and, even better, have been applied to Dungeons 1 on launch day of Dungeons 2 as a patch! Any review written in the launch period of Dungeons 1 is not representative of the current gaming experience. If you want to read reviews, search for reviews of Dungeons - The Dark Lord, and apply that to both games.

Which game should I buy?
Well, since both games have a rather lengthy story campaign with additional challenges that you probably wont be able to achieve in one go, plus several challenge maps that will add even more levels to play... both? :p There aren't many actual difference here due to all gameplay improvements being present in both games. I have the slight hunch that Dungeons 2 might have more items and a few other minor gameplay additions, but I don't think more items necessarily enhance the gameplay experience since you already have quite a few anyway.
However, there are 2 big differences:
1. Dungeons1 has more challenge maps, even without DLC. But if you decide to get the DLC (which will make your Dungeons1+DLC purchase about as expensive as to only purchase Dungeons2), you'll have amore than enough maps to play.
2. Dungeons2 has Multiplayer, whereas Dungeons1 has not. This might be interesting for some, but I havent tested it yet.

...TL&DR, so what do you suggest?
...get Dungeons 1 + DLC. Get Dungeons 2 (for the new campaign and MP) in the next sale after you are done with Dungeons 1 and know whether MP might be interesting to you.

I bought the game, but the beginning is rather boring..
Yeah, the first hour you are doing quite a bit of grunt work. The game does a VERY good job of teaching new mechanics at a decent pace throughout the campaign, but especially the first area is a bit tiresome because you don't get much to do except walking and some slashing. The first "proper" map is also a bit restrictive since they give you some subtle hints how to play through the first map by the design of the map itself (lots of stone that you cannot dig tunnels through), thus limiting your actual options of dungeon creation.
~10 minutes for the real boring part and then ~30minutes for the first, rather uninspired map. After that the fun definitely picks up with the now active levelling system, motivating map achievements and more diverse progression in the next maps.

How much content?
More than enough. The campaign of each game will probably last you around 15-20 hours the first time around for 10-12 story maps and the DLC for the first game will overall add 60+ new challenge maps for various game modes.

| Gameplay Impressions |

Click here for a very well done gameplay description youtube vid (Please ignore his Dungeon Keeper comments.)

Alright! So here it goes.

I wouldn't say that this is my favorite game/series ever, but I do think that it is way too overlooked and discriminated against. I went over the reasons for that already, but I really think that taken on its own merits, these games are actually quite unique and with all their inidividual elements coming together, very satisfactory to play.

What it all comes down to, is basically a kind of reverse tower defense. Not only in theme (since you are the badboy slaying the heroes), but also in mechanics. Your placed "towers" exist only to satisfy the needs of the ones you need to kill. Still with me? Alright, that is because the core concept revolves around killing "satisfied" heroes. The more needs of a hero you satisfied, the more "soul energy" he will give you after you killed him, which in turn can be used to use some Dungeon spells or buy items for your dungeon to get even MORE soul energy from those heroes.

Thats more or less how the game works. Heroes come, you satisfy their needs, kill them and use the money and soul energy gained to improve your dungeon. I need to admit that there really could be a bit more variety to that. Like actual (and devious) traps to lure your heroes into etc. However, they still managed to make this a rather fun affair due to some aspects that work together rather splendidly.

First of all, there is an overall levellingsystem of your hero, giving you steady progress and new skills throughout the campaign, that make new campaign maps feel different just by the fact that you now have different skills to use than in the map before:
slOgL.jpg

Additionally, linked to that, there are several integral achievements on each campaign map that will give you skill points if you complete them. Those vary quite a bit between the levels, making the levels feel even more different. After all you will play differently if you need to save up to a certain amount of gold, if you are to never reach a certain amount of gold, or if you are supposed to abstain from using something you would normally use.

These may sound like small things, but actually go a great way of ensuring you never quite feel like doing the exact same thing over and over again. These games are by no means a revelation or the hardcore dungeon simulation people were hoping them to be, but they are definitely fun (after the initial tutorial area) and have a well thought out progression. Lots of diversity and content too, I'd suggest giving the first one a shot. You could do far worse with your 5 bucks. Also: watch the vid in the beginning of the gameplay section, it does a very good job of conveying the game mechanics.

Some gameplay hints

1. That may sound like a small thing, but you can adjust your minimap size to show you a bigger area. Makes a huge difference in navigation.
2. Your dungeon can get concoluted with a lot of heroes and monsters. Pressing caps lock will show you all of the life bars, so you can make out all the heroes and their satisfaction level at one glance.
3. You have a total amount of monsters you can command (indicated by the count in the upper left corner). You can raise that amount by incorporating "Monster homes" into your dungeon reign.
4. Build narrow tunnels to properly "guide" heroes. Use prestige objects in tunnels where you want heroes to walk, and leave tunnels where your working bees (goblins) work void of prestige objects so they dont clash too often.
5. Make sure to always have enough prisons since you cant get soul energy otherwise
6. Remember to spend your skill points, and also feel free to use the skill scrolls you earned. There is not much point in collecting them.

And as always, rule #1. Wait for a possible daily deal if its less than 75% off.
qSbBo.png

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Thought I'd post it when people are still looking somewhere else than the Steam sales thread :p

Oh also it bears repeating: These are not deeply strategic titles, but I think they are still quite fun to play. Check this Youtube vid for a rather good introduction to the game (and again: Ignore the Dungeon Keeper comment).

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Out of ~250 friends only 2 have played one, and 3 have played the other. These are on my "get around to playing" list. Who knows when, but when I do I'll be sure to bump this thread. A lot of games I've played/finished I wanted a thread to discuss or post impressions in or whatever but there wasn't one, so thanks for the thread.

Love your work, Toma. Will put on the list, always been curious - especially after the denigration after release. Thus, will investigate at the next possible convenience.

Toma

Out of ~250 friends only 2 have played one, and 3 have played the other. These are on my "get around to playing" list. Who knows when, but when I do I'll be sure to bump this thread. A lot of games I've played/finished I wanted a thread to discuss or post impressions in or whatever but there wasn't one, so thanks for the thread.

Yeah, that was sort of the reason I made this OT. Went through my games list and checked how many of my ~200 Gaf friends have played them and made this thread, simply because there was none.

Out of curiosity, which other games have you played and noticed a missing OT? If its a game I was interested in/like somewhat, I might fill out the gap with an OT.

Yeah, that was sort of the reason I made this OT. Went through my games list and checked how many of my ~200 Gaf friends have played them and made this thread, simply because there was none.

Out of curiosity, which other games have you played and noticed a missing OT? If its a game I was interested in/like somewhat, I might fill out the gap with an OT.

I've been meaning to get around to a Jagged Alliance: Back in Action OT, but time is not on my side of late. Could be just a general purpose JA franchise thread.

Toma

I've been meaning to get around to a Jagged Alliance: Back in Action OT, but time is not on my side of late. Could be just a general purpose JA franchise thread.

lol, we dont have a Jagged Alliance thread? wow.

And I know you really like strategic games, hopefully you wont be too disappointed when you realize that Dungeons isnt the most strategic game in the world :p

Toma

I agree, though I'd be lying if I wouldnt admit that one of the biggest reasons for me checking it out was due to the 65% metacritics ranking. Even lower than CivCity:Rome btw, which puzzled me enough to create a thread about it as well :p

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
But, how can you not want to compare it to Dungeon Keeper when it looks exactly like Dungeon Keeper graphically?

I love DK & DK2, I still play them to this day, and I would sell my kidney for a proper Dungeon Keeper III. The fact that this looks like DK3, but isn't, really just put me off to it back when it came out. The videos really don't do a good job of convincing me that it would be fun for more than an hour or two. Maybe I need to watch more videos?

I think they should just take their engine and graphic assets and make us a proper Dungeon Keeper clone. I'd buy that in a second.

I'll watch this one over the Steam sale though, if it gets cheap enough I'll buy it and try it out.

Toma

But, how can you not want to compare it to Dungeon Keeper when it looks exactly like Dungeon Keeper graphically?

I love DK & DK2, I still play them to this day, and I would sell my kidney for a proper Dungeon Keeper III. The fact that this looks like DK3, but isn't, really just put me off to it back when it came out. The videos really don't do a good job of convincing me that it would be fun for more than an hour or two. Maybe I need to watch more videos?

I think they should just take their engine and graphic assets and make us a proper Dungeon Keeper clone. I'd buy that in a second.

I'll watch this one over the Steam sale though, if it gets cheap enough I'll buy it and try it out.

Yeah, I fully agree. It was even marketed in that direction. Its more a light ARPG with some dungeon interior designing thrown in. I fully expect anyone that loved DK and craves for a DK3 to hate the Dungeons series.

If you watched that youtube vid I linked, and that did not appeal to you at all, just dont buy it. You wont like it then.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Yeah, I fully agree. It was even marketed in that direction. Its more a light ARPG with some dungeon interior designing thrown in. I fully expect anyone that loved DK and craves for a DK3 to hate the Dungeons series.

If you watched that youtube vid I linked, and that did not appeal to you at all, just dont buy it. You wont like it then.

Eh, if it ever gets down to $5 for both the game and DLC then I'd buy it out of nostalgia for Dungeon Keeper alone, lol!

I wonder if we'll ever see either a real Dungeon Keeper III or at least a very good modern clone... :(

Toma

Eh, if it ever gets down to $5 for both the game and DLC then I'd buy it out of nostalgia for Dungeon Keeper alone, lol!

I wonder if we'll ever see either a real Dungeon Keeper III or at least a very good modern clone... :(

Yeah, I'd say its worth 5 bucks :)

And I am not holding my breath for a good proper DK game at the moment :/

Toma

Non daily deal prices are 66% off. Maybe it will get down to a 75% deal during a daily deal. If anyone knows the correct US or UK sales prices, please post them. Cant check right now.

In the UK. Dungeons is £4.07, D2 Dark Lord is £5.09 while the Dungeons Gold bundle is £8.49. I am very interested in the Dungeons Gold, but I am gonna wait to see if it is on the daily deals.

I bought this over a year ago during a midweek madness and have yet to play it much. I did mess around with the first couple of missions, or whatever they are called, and it seemed fun. I remember it getting a lot of hate.

Volodja

I was interested in this when the first trailers popped up but when it became clear that it wasn't really a Dungeon Keeper-ish game, I lost interest and in the end never picked it up.

That said, 7.13€ doesn't seem bad for both the games so I'll gladly indulge.

Toma

Thanks for the updates on prices! :)

And yeah, wait for a daily deal. We saw a daily deal on those games last year, so its not impossible.

Volodja

Thanks for the updates on prices! :)

And yeah, wait for a daily deal. We saw a daily deal on those games last year, so its not impossible.
Yeah, the Steam store page wasn't loading well for me so I thought it was already a daily deal.
I'll wait and see if it gets one.

Toma

Yeah, the Steam store page wasn't loading well for me so I thought it was already a daily deal.
I'll wait and see if it gets one.

Gaf wasnt loading either so I couldn't update the thread in 2 hours :p I'll make sure to bump this thread when the daily deal hits though.

Dammit Toma, you sold me on Gnomoria and I wasn't disappointed, so now I have to get this. =|

Its a bit different from the style of the games I usually recommend. Make sure to check out this vid for rather well done gameplay impressions.

If you want to know some super highly recommended games by me though..
SpaceChem
FrozenSynapse
Lone Survivor
Legend of Grimrock
City Builder Games (CivCity, Grand Ages..)
Europa Universalis 3

I assume I annoyed most of GAF enough already with those games, but who knows!

Its a bit different from the style of the games I usually recommend. Make sure to check out this vid for rather well done gameplay impressions.

SpaceChem
FrozenSynapse
Lone Survivor
Legend of Grimrock
Europa Universalis 3

SpaceChem - Own
FrozenSynapse - Own
Lone Survivor - Got a thread on this?
Legend of Grimrock - Grabbing on steam sale tonight.
City Builder Games (CivCity, Grand Ages..) - What is the most 'modern' one you'd recommend? Edit: Modern not as in setting, but as in release date and feature-set.
Europa Universalis 3 - Put in hundreds of hours, but I <3 Paradox.

Toma

SpaceChem - Own
FrozenSynapse - Own
Lone Survivor - Got a thread on this?
Legend of Grimrock - Grabbing on steam sale tonight.
City Builder Games (CivCity, Grand Ages..) - What is the most 'modern' one you'd recommend? Edit: Modern not as in setting, but as in release date and feature-set.
Europa Universalis 3 - Put in hundreds of hours, but I <3 Paradox.

Lone Survivor thread.

Sorry for the late reply, busy with the Steam Sale Hunt thread.
As for the city builders, Grand Ages: Rome is probably the best to look at with proper tutorials. Should also be easier to get into than, say, Children of the nile.

Toma

Last day of steam sales bump.

Toma, some of your favorite games are some of my favorite games (SpaceChem and Frozen Synapse!!), so I'm buying this strictly off of your recommendation. Thanks!!

Also thanks for this post:

Gaf wasnt loading either so I couldn't update the thread in 2 hours :p I'll make sure to bump this thread when the daily deal hits though.

SpaceChem
FrozenSynapse
Lone Survivor
Legend of Grimrock
Europa Universalis 3

Toma

Toma, some of your favorite games are some of my favorite games (SpaceChem and Frozen Synapse!!), so I'm buying this strictly off of your recommendation. Thanks!!

Also thanks for this post:

As I said, its not a deeply challenging/tactical game, but I still enjoyed it. I hiiiiiiighly recommend the other games in your post though :)

As I said, its not a deeply challenging/tactical game, but I still enjoyed it. I hiiiiiiighly recommend the other games in your post though :)

Absolutely love Frozen Synapse and SpaceChem. Two of my favorite games of last year for sure. I've already got Legend of Grimrock and Lone Survivor which I shall be playing soon. I'm ok with this game being different from your past recommendations. Still willing to give it a try. I'm a sucker for potential "hidden gems"

Toma

Absolutely love Frozen Synapse and SpaceChem. Two of my favorite games of last year for sure. I've already got Legend of Grimrock and Lone Survivor which I shall be playing soon. I'm ok with this game being different from your past recommendations. Still willing to give it a try. I'm a sucker for potential "hidden gems"

While we are at the topic of hidden gems, made a post about Splice in the last day Steam sale thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40150493&postcount=144

This should be very relevant to your interests.

Ebris

I bought this ages ago. Couldn't even play, since it wouldn't ever let me activate. Customer support's advice? Just wait, servers can take a while.

Still waiting.

Toma

I bought this ages ago. Couldn't even play, since it wouldn't ever let me activate. Customer support's advice? Just wait, servers can take a while.

Still waiting.

Great CS. Contact them again. "Wait a while" is CSR speech for "We have no clue why its not working, contact us tomorrow if the game still persists, but we arent mad if you contact us next week or even later either since we hope the problem miraculously disappeared by then and its less work for us."

But yes, contact them again, specifically mentioning that you already contacted them.

Toma

Thanks. DLed and played demo after seeing that post. Haven't made my decision yet. What are your thoughts on Jagged Alliance?

To be honest, I havent bought Splice yet either, only played through the demo and watched later gameplay vids. I still have enough to do with SpaceChem if I get to it, but I will pick it up when it goes cheaper.

On the topic of JA: Ignore Back in Action and get JA2:Gold. If you never heard anything about it, the series is basically a Single player Frozen Synapse so it should be right up your alley (with a way more interesting campaign). The "sequel" Back in action made it quite a bit easier and left out many of the interesting sub mechanics that made JA2 so interesting. JA2 is a classic, you cant go wrong with that one.

To be honest, I havent bought Splice yet either, only played through the demo and watched later gameplay vids. I still have enough to do with SpaceChem if I get to it, but I will pick it up when it goes cheaper.
Yeah, I kind of feel like every time I would fire up Splice, I would feel guilty for not playing more SpaceChem. If that makes any sort of sense.

On the topic of JA: Ignore Back in Action and get JA2:Gold. If you never heard anything about it, the series is basically a Single player Frozen Synapse so it should be right up your alley (with a way more interesting campaign). The "sequel" Back in action made it quite a bit easier and left out many of the interesting sub mechanics that made JA2 so interesting. JA2 is a classic, you cant go wrong with that one.
I hadn't heard anything about it but the gameplay vid totally looked like single player FS. Just the sort of advice I was looking for. Thanks.

Copenap

Just started the game for the first time after purchasing it at the summer sale, do I really need to set up an account to play this? I try to keep the mass of accounts at a minimum.

Toma

Just started the game for the first time after purchasing it at the summer sale, do I really need to set up an account to play this? I try to keep the mass of accounts at a minimum.

Yep, sorry.
Just came here to post the sale. Woo! My thread finally has a use.

Toma

The Dungeons collection is only 5,99 even instead of 6,98 for both individually. Great deal contentwise. Oh and yeah, snag up the DLC.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
You really want everyone to buy this game don't you?

VIRAL MARKETING!!!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
My main problem with the Dungeons series is that every level was just a puzzle. There was little room for improvisation.

Toma

My main problem with the Dungeons series is that every level was just a puzzle. There was little room for improvisation.

True, while I managed to enjoy that aspect as it made the levels feel different, I can see how one would want a more leisurely done sandbox level to have more freedom with how to create the layout.

You really want everyone to buy this game don't you?

VIRAL MARKETING!!!

Toma Imaginary Tag Quote: Viral Marketeer for (almost) EVERY (good) GAME.

Yup. :p

And yeah, its dirt cheap and I had quite some fun with it. I dont think these games deserve to be THAT ignored.

Toma

Daily bump reminder for the current Dungeons deals.

Toma

Deal throughout the halloween sale:

75% off of the Dungeon games.
Costing 7,50€ here, including both games and the dlc.

Toma

Once more 4 bucks for the individual games and 7 bucks for the bundle in the current sale.

Toma

Toma, do I want to go straight to the sequel?

Nah, you dont need to. If you like the game style, the first has more content with the 1$ addons. The only thing the 2nd game has over the first, is the addition of MP. Unfortunately, I still havent tried that so I cant comment how well that works.

Rufus

Thanks. Not gonna pull the trigger on the Steam Special Edition of the first one yet, but it's in the running now.

Toma

An OT that doesnt even cross the first page after 5 months is a bit sad. Hopefully at least one person snags it during this sale.

Top Bottom