• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The War Z AKA "28 Scandals Later" AKA "bury the ones we love and plagiarize the rest"

DJIzana

I hope it doesn't turn out like Dead Island. If they have similar gameplay elements as DayZ, hardcore mode, lots of content... a fluid UI & decent graphics, I'm sold. The fact you can switch from 3rd to 1st person is a bonus as well. I'll be keeping a close eye on this one.

Kard8p3

Subscription based MMO or one time payment? I don't want no microtransactions.

Here ya go:

Sergey Titov:When we thought about how the game will operate, we first asked ourselves – what we as players want. We don’t want to pay a subscription, because what if I don’t have time to play the game regularly? We don’t want to be forced into buying every single upgrade, like new maps just in order to play the game with friends. We don’t want a “pay to win” model. So we said, "OK, we’ll go with a one time fee, that should be lower than $60." So we settled at a $29.99 price point, and we’ll offer a discount to those that pre-order the game.

As for in-game transactions, we looked at designing that around more of a "convenience" model. In other words, players will be able to make certain micro-transaction purchases in the game, but they will not be for improved weaponry or anything that will give you an unfair power advantage. Instead, players will be able to purchase things that will help save time, such as reviving their character in normal mode, buying slightly more effective food, hydration packs, medkits, etc. To get those things they will need to spend Gold Coins in the game, which can be obtained by hunting down the special, mutated zombies, extracting their stem cells and then selling them in safe settlements or by purchasing them in-game. So, essentially, players will be able to play the complete game without ever engaging in micro-transactions, but the option is there for convenience. Also, we will allow players to rent and manage their own server from inside the game without leaving the game UI.

Flunkie

Banned
Sounds like a polished DayZ. Hmm, keeping my eyes out for this one.

Also seems to be forcing Rocket's hand into making DayZ standalone, and quick.

Have the Day Z guys talked about making it stand alone?

Feels like the hype might cool if they delay to long.

They talked about it at the Rezzed conference, you can actually view that great session here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAXqwewejwU

They are indeed making it standalone, but it seems that they're still figuring out a lot of things about the project before they move ahead.. I hope they stick with the current 'mine craft' model of releasing unfinished builds and patching it frequently.

Sounds like a World War Z reference, which I'm OK with.

'reference' is a questionable term. More like; "We named it to sound like a popular book that also has an upcoming film!"

"The War Z" is a silly title that looks to merge to other brands.
Screens look lacking atmosphere.

The M.O.B

If you’re playing in hardcore mode, you’ll get some kind of basic gun. In normal Mode you’ll have to find one, but it will be relatively easy to do close to your initial spawn point.

Isn't this backwards? Hardcore should start you with no gun while normal gives you a basic one.

Trickster

Isn't this backwards? Hardcore should start you with no gun while normal gives you a basic one.

Yeah kinda hope he either got it backwards during the interview, or they change it for release.

Screens look lacking atmosphere.

Hmm, they look fine to me. Hard to judge properly though, since they're small pictures. Also really need some gameplay footage to really be able to tell what it looks like.

Prefeer the look of the small screens infitely more than the DayZ though.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Maybe hardcore is so hardcore you'll need that gun. Like if there's less shit to loot. They should just start you out with a crappy gun with 1 clip.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Sergey Titov.

Do you remember Big Rigs? The lowest-ranked game on MC? That's him. They needed money really bad though... He worked on Gears of War after that as far as I know and as a technical director at Riot Games on LoL. Talk about ups and downs.

Kard8p3

Maybe hardcore is so hardcore you'll need that gun. Like if there's less shit to loot. They should just start you out with a crappy gun with 1 clip.

That's the way I took it, also since your character gets permadeath'd I guess they want to give you a fighting chance

Sergey Titov.

Do you remember Big Rigs? The lowest-ranked game on MC? That's him. They needed money really bad though... He worked on Gears of War after that as far as I know and as a technical director at Riot Games on LoL. Talk about ups and downs.

lmao, I had no idea he took part in any of those.

Ocho

Interesting read. This may give Day Z a run for it's money, if Rocket doesn't hurry and makes a proper stand alone game.

The idea of a post apocalyptic environment (not a military map), quest/notes that enhance the experience/story, group support and not as buggy as Day Z (hopefully) are very good propositions.

And they listen to community feedback. Nice. Will keep an eye.

This actually sounds pretty interesting, and this is coming from a guy who isn't that bothered about zombie games. The gameplay sounds really interesting and could be a lot of fun. Will keep an eye on it.

Grief.exe

Interesting read. This may give Day Z a run for it's money, if Rocket doesn't hurry and makes a proper stand alone game.

The idea of a post apocalyptic environment (not a military map), quest/notes that enhance the experience/story, group support and not as buggy as Day Z (hopefully) are very good propositions.

And they listen to community feedback. Nice. Will keep an eye.

I'm sure its not up to Rocket on when he gets the stand alone game made, he needs to find some way to fund it.

Whats really weird is how fast they are releasing it, Day Z didn't even become extremely popular until a couple months ago. They must have been making some kind of zombie game then tacked on the Day Z elements.

Very interested in this game, provided they follow up with the new content they say they will. Plus being at the $30 price point is a good thing.

elseanio

Beta signups here: http://thewarz.com/

P3F8G.jpg

jTV5V.jpg

WM73p.jpg

3kqEo.jpg

AVRwl.jpg

Trickster

Btw, how many players are normally on a DayZ server? They're setting a 250 player cap on the server in this game is seems, wondering how that compares to Day Z.

Is that enough for you to meet other players often enough that it doesn't become a rare thing to happen? I know the map in Day Z is very big.

It becomes quite rare, but it shouldn't be common to happen. And there are more active areas in the map where it is not uncommon to come across somebody.

Feature

Banned
Good, hopefully some competition will make that Rocket guy less of a jerk and makes him think a bit more before adding (ruining) new stuff.

Shady859

This looks awesome, i'm a zombie whore and been lusting after DayZ. I've finally decided to build a gaming PC for myself as a early Christmas. haha

Top Bottom