• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Game Art Book?

RedSwirl

It seems to me that art books have become a lot more common in special editions of games, but I don't really go for them, mainly for price concerns. Which one is generally considered to be the gold standard for art book bonuses? The only really great one I've actually seen is the Witcher 2 art book, and only the digital one.

Hard Mode: Current gen English language edition art books. For western games.

The booklet included in the Super Mario All-Stars 25th Anniversary Edition is pretty darn interesting.

rsz_supermariobros3booklet-640x371.jpg

UDON's Valkyria Chronicles art book. English-translated interviews with the developers and artists, tons of amazing game art, illustrations, concept art, you name it. My favorite so far.

Grisby

HHhmmm. I enjoyed the Bioshock 2 one that came with the LE. Pretty thick on some quality paper.

Edit- That's a bonus I guess you could say. For stand alone I really liked Alice Madness Returns deal since that game is all about the art.

Astral

Persona 4's was pretty cool. I was excited for Dark Souls' but it ended up being crap. It's very fragile tool.

imo the artbooks inside the blizzard collectors editions of their games. warcraft, diablo, and starcraft have very good looking artbooks and have great art inside.

Karuto

It will forever and always be, Xenogears: Perfect Works.

Granted, it wasn't a pure art book, but an encyclopedia of knowledge that included a lot of art in it.

Ken

I hate the small half sized booklets being labeled as artbooks in special editions of games like Dark Souls and CoD MW2. Blizzard's CE artbook are great though since they are actually full sized.

MrBS

I'm hoping this will be.

Got quite the collection at home. I might have to go have a look and report later.

What flavours of art books do people like anyway? I much prefer the ones that focus on the sketch art and conceprt as apposed to the books that seems to have mostly/all final production/adverstising art or renders.

edit: love my Okami book too. Hell even the strategy guide was as an awesome art book.
It's not out yet but I have a feeling that the Udon The Eyes of Bayonetta Artbook will deliver!
I have the jap version and its a great piece to have.

Art of Darksiders

The Art of God of War III Ballistic Publishing(quality stuffs!)

The Art of Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Ballistic Publishing

If you are looking for something from Japan i recommend http://www.animebooks.com/

They have tons of imported books and a great selection of video games art books.

Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker Official Art Works Art Book
animebooks-com_2219_305086961.jpg

Fucking incredible if you are a MGS fan.

I would also agree to get the Valkyria Chronicles art book That thing is freaking massive.

Vidiot

I have the Megaman and Megaman X complete works as wells as the two Resident Evil Archives books. I really love them all. :)

Slermy

UDON's Valkyria Chronicles art book. English-translated interviews with the developers and artists, tons of amazing game art, illustrations, concept art, you name it. My favorite so far.

Definitely this. I bought the Japanese release on release, and bought it AGAIN when it came out in english. There's a lot of incredible information in here about the design process
Alicia used to be blonde, and didn't have her iconic red bandana until very late in development

Also, the Mega Man (Classic) is also incredible. Great sheets for the boss designs going into little details and the precise color values.

DCharlie

Banned
Whilst not quite art books, I bought a series of Japanese game coding books detailing action, puzzle and shmup games algorithms which have some extremely awesome abstract art of the , um, -obvious- game algos they are presenting.

in the shmup book : Rtype , gradius, raystorm, cave games, etc

outside of those?

Oh my cock, the Cave art books - jeeeeeeeesus - they are off the chart incredible :

example:

guwange-front.JPG

Just to give it a mention...I don't really care for the game, or the actual design, but I thought this art book was pretty nice when it came out. Seems to go for a decent penny in mint condition, so I guess I have a nice one on my hands.

Half-Life 2: Raising the Bar

ssWRS.jpg

Gav47

Art of Darksiders

This is impossible to find at a reasonable price now, I regret not picking it up before Christmas when Amazon still had them in stock.

The Assassin Creed Revelations encyclopaedia has some really nice art in it and I've heard good things about the Alice Madness returns artbook.

B.K.

Xenogears Perfect Works.

Edit: If you're only interested in preorder art books, that's a bit harder. I haven't really seen many good artbooks as preorder bonuses.

Jijidasu

I recently picked up the 10th Anniversary and FINAL FANTASY XI 11 World Concept book. Both are fantastic art catalogues filled with lots of concepts that never saw the light of day. If you're a fan of FFXI I urge people to take a peek at those books.

P1480986.JPG

NyVTV.jpg

549f4.jpg

Slermy

Whilst not quite art books, I bought a series of Japanese game coding books detailing action, puzzle and shmup games algorithms which have some extremely awesome abstract art of the , um, -obvious- game algos they are presenting.

in the shmup book : Rtype , gradius, raystorm, cave games, etc

That sounds fascinating, any more info on that?

I did not know there was a Dark Souls art book....

Didn't this come with the limited edition version of the game?

My favourites are the Hyrule Historia, Xenoblade and Okami art books. Hoping the Portal 2 one is nice when it arrives later this year.

I personally prefer a focus on sketches and evolution of ideas than final works. But I do like a mix.

B.K.

I recently picked up the 10th Anniversary and FINAL FANTASY XI 11 World Concept book. Both are fantastic art catalogues filled with lots of concepts that never saw the light of day. If you're a fan of FFXI I urge people to take a peek at those books.

I want to get that book eventually.

The Tactics Ogre Art Works is a good book, too.

leng jai

From the ones I own:

The Witcher (wish it was hard cover)
Mass Effect
Assassins Creed
Alice: Madness Returns
Skyrim

Verelios

Udon makes a lot of great Art books, and over 60% of my collection is theirs. That said, the best would definitely have to be the Valkyria Chronicles Archive and the worst would be the Street fighter Art Book I just recently picked up.

I wanted to say their Monster Hunter Book was good...but it's softcover and opens up from the top so it's more like a sketch pad. I hate that with art books.

Cheska

I'm a sucker for art books and have accumulated quite a few over the years but if I had to pick the one that stands out to most to me it would be the Valkyria Chronicles book.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Can anyone tell me what the Final Fantasy IX Ultimania book is? I freaking love the game - one of my favorites of all time - and so I'm interested in this book. Yet, I have no idea what it is.

Sorry, I know that's a bit off-topic; but I figure this is a good place to ask ;p

51ZBTT4S6ZL._SS500_.jpg

I'm a sucker for art books and have accumulated quite a few over the years but if I had to pick the one that stands out to most to me it would be the Valkyria Chronicles book.

Udon makes a lot of great Art books, and over 60% of my collection is theirs. That said, the best would definitely have to be the Valkyria Chronicles Archive and the worst would be the Street fighter Art Book I just recently picked up.

Definitely this. I bought the Japanese release on release, and bought it AGAIN when it came out in english. There's a lot of incredible information in here about the design process
Alicia used to be blonde, and didn't have her iconic red bandana until very late in development

Also, the Mega Man (Classic) is also incredible. Great sheets for the boss designs going into little details and the precise color values.
Valkyria-GAF knows what's up. Amazing developer commentary and all, I felt more satisfied with this book than with the other UDON releases I got for the same $40-50 price range.

cj_iwakura

Digital Devil Apocalypse is nice, because it covers an entire era of SMT: all the early Persona and Soul Hackers titles, as well as SMT1/2/If.

sCIMG5407.jpg

sCIMG5396-1.jpg

sCIMG5396.jpg

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Digital Devil Apocalypse is nice, because it covers an entire era of SMT: all the early Persona and Soul Hackers titles, as well as SMT1/2/If.

sCIMG5407.jpg

sCIMG5396-1.jpg

sCIMG5396.jpg

Im tempted to buy the Persona art books for 3 & 4 but just with how much crap Ive bought recently cant justify it.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Its bad I tell you. There are so many artbooks which I would purchase since I do enjoy collecting things.

But yeah budget says otherwise. Plus no real space atm for more books on the shelves.

Loxley

Blizzard's hard-cover art books (the ones they include with their CE's) are always outstanding. As for the best? Okami's has always look amazing to me, but I've never seen it in person.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just to give it a mention...I don't really care for the game, or the actual design, but I thought this art book was pretty nice when it came out. Seems to go for a decent penny in mint condition, so I guess I have a nice one on my hands.

Half-Life 2: Raising the Bar

ssWRS.jpg

I've said this a million times, but I really wish Valve would have this occasionally republished for sale via its official store.

fates

The Valkyria Chronicles books. Lots of illustrations and text about the illustrations. Very nice. Lovely layout, great use of colors and tones, gorgeous spanning cover illustrations. Despite us not getting VC3 here (I'm sad now...), I still hope UDON brings over the 3rd artbook.

MH Artbook is quite good too, but it's missing a good number of armor/monster designs. Layout and quality are outstanding though, and there's a great deal of notes and text that really elaborate on the design philosophies of not just the stuff in the games, but the series itself. Also has a black/white section in the back filled with sketches.

Tactics Ogre artbook... I'm torn on this one, really. Beautiful book, no doubt! But I was disappointed by some omissions. For the Divine Knight class all we got was medium sized linearts. I guess in a way it feels incomplete, like something's missing. However, I loved the special Cressida illustration in the back so it's all good.

The Disgaea 1 and 2 artbooks Broccoli localized are quite good too, but they are rare now as Broccoli folded. Nice collection of images, and plenty of text and notes. UDON's releasing Disgaeart!!! here, which should have all of the larger images, but these books had all the concept sketches, backgrounds, weapons, etc.

On that note, got Disgaeart!!! preordered. UDON made our edition larger. Can't wait to get it.

Top Bottom