• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Games Announces Impossible Studios (Former Big Huge Games Guys)

V_Ben

Banned
http://epicgames.com/community/2012/08/epic-games-announces-impossible-studios/

Subscribe

August 09, 2012
Epic Games Announces Impossible Studios

Maryland-based development team joins Epic family

BALTIMORE, AUGUST 09, 2012 — Epic Games, Inc. announces the opening of Impossible Studios, a company comprised of highly skilled, senior-level game development talent. Based in Hunt Valley, Maryland, Impossible is the latest addition to Epic’s network, which includes corporate headquarters in Cary, North Carolina; ChAIR Entertainment in Salt Lake City, Utah; People Can Fly in Warsaw, Poland; Epic Games Korea in Seoul, Korea; and Epic Games Japan in Yokohama, Japan.

Founded in June, Impossible brings world-class game development expertise and creativity to Epic’s growing team. With heralded roots in real-time strategy and role-playing entertainment software, Impossible brings its own distinct design and technical sensibilities to Epic’s portfolio of games and game technology across major platforms.

Led by studio director Sean Dunn, Impossible’s first project is the touch-based action role-playing game “Infinity Blade: Dungeons” for iOS. “Infinity Blade: Dungeons,” which was conceived at Epic’s Cary studio, is being developed in collaboration with Epic and ChAIR under Impossible’s roof in Maryland.

Impossible consists of former employees of Big Huge Games, creators of the renowned “Rise of Nations” strategy games, “Catan” for Xbox LIVE® Arcade, “Age of Empires III: The Asian Dynasties” for PC, and “Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning” for Xbox 360®, PlayStation® 3 and PC. Big Huge Games earned the Baltimore Business Journal’s “Best Places to Work 2011” award and was also honored as one of Game Developer magazine’s top 30 developers in the world earlier this year.

“Epic Games has truly embraced this stellar collection of developers who were displaced by the closing of Big Huge Games,” said studio director Sean Dunn. “They have looked after us with complete care, giving us all the tools and resources we need to make a lot of gamers happy.”

“We were so glad we could help keep this great team together, and we’re lucky to have them,” said Epic Games President Dr. Michael Capps. “At the time, I said that finding a full team of superstars was ‘impossible’ and apparently the name stuck! Pairing the imagination and experience of Impossible with Epic’s technology, IP and resources makes for a business greater than the sum of its parts.”

Capps will lead an “Infinity Blade: Dungeons” panel with the game’s lead designer, Ian Frazier, and author, Brandon Sanderson, at Dragon*Con in Atlanta on August 31. “Infinity Blade: Dungeons” is set for release on the App Store later this year.

About Impossible Studios

Founded by Epic Games, Inc. and headquartered in Hunt Valley, Maryland, Impossible Studios brings world-class game development expertise and creativity to Epic’s growing team of top talent. With ties to critically acclaimed real-time strategy and role-playing games, Impossible brings its own distinct sensibilities to Epic’s portfolio of games across major platforms. Led by studio director Sean Dunn, Impossible’s first project is the Unreal Engine 3-powered “Infinity Blade: Dungeons” for iOS.

Featuring the best company logo i've seen in a while;

EP123_IMPOSS_LOGO_JM05_400-254x207.png

A bear with a unicorn horn and wings. Excellent.

Edit: Their first project appears to be finishing Infinity Blade Dungeons.

Celegus

Wish the logo would load at work, but that's great news for them! (even if I'll never play the game they're making)

Effect

Really glad Epic stepped in and saved the studio. The people working there didn't deserve what happen to them. Though I hope they kept as many people as possible. Especially those that got screwed over on the housing situation. Or was that people that worked at 38 Studios?

Great news and logo. Did Epic acquire the rights to the Amalur IP or is that still tied up in all of that crazy Rhode Island legal business?

V_Ben

Banned
In case people didn't read all of the PR, their first project is Infinity Blade Dungeons. That's out this year.

Chris_C

This was my first thought...

200px-Prof_impossible.png

Glad they landed on their feet, I loved Amalur. How about some Vita love, Epic?

Jo-El

I hope they're not stuck making phone games forever, but I suppose it's a good place to start for a new studio.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
So what's the % of Amalur being revived?

Not worth it...

Amazing logo!! I would like to work for them...

I'd rather have an infinity blade that wasn't all touch based control, so yeah, not worth it for just a carbon copy.

The Vita is a system that needs to show that all of these touch only games could use some buttons too.

TheOddOne

Sketchy source, but I'll post it anyway.

Adrian Chmielarz released from People Can Fly [update: know that something is going on].
As reported rumors - the legendary Polish game developer was fired from his company. Adrian Chmielarz part with People Can Fly.

As reported rumors of the owner's decision today Chmielarz both Adrian and the entire board were dismissed from work. Causes are still unknown to us. The gaming industry speculated that a possible scenario of events following the weaker than expected sales results Bulletstorm game and lack of any announcement of People Can Fly. Also acted against the commonly held perception that the PCF became a razor to produce textures for Epic.

We contacted both the People Can Fly, as well as from the Adrian to obtain comment. As soon as we learn something, we update the news.

Asked to comment Adrian Chmielarz comments:

Something must be true, but more affirmative information, we do not want to spoil the surprise. I would also add that it would be absurd for anyone releasing financial results 18 months after the release of the game (Bulletstorm) and for 7 months before a new one. More information coming soon!

Top Bottom