• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 Has Live Streaming, Division Ranking (More Info In OP)

Fracas

#fuckonami
With Black Ops 2 Treyarch is embracing e-sports to a greater extent than any Call of Duty game. "We think there is a tremendous opportunity here to bring e-sports to the masses, and we think Call of Duty is the game to do it," Vonderhaar said.

Treyarch has introduced League Play, a skill-based matchmaking system that sorts players into divisions. It is hoped it will mean players of all skill levels can get something out of the game, traditionally inhospitable to newcomers. To rank up into a division, you'll need to win and win consistently, Vonderhaar said.

Complimenting this is Codcasting, a new system that lets shoutcasters "put a show together". Shoutcasters have a number of viewing options they can switch between, and more information is displayed in the UI, including the score panel and a large name plate on the bottom left-hand corner of the screen. Feeds include an overhead map view and a picture in picture view, which shows the action on the left and player information on the right. Shoutcasters can also tune in to the players themselves, listening to communication during a match.

But perhaps the most exciting new e-sports related feature is Live Streaming. This work-in progress system is designed to allow players to stream their games from within the game itself with the press of a single button. Vonderhaar showed a live game running on multiple iPads, suggesting we'll be able to watch matches from multiple devices.

There is little information on Live Streaming at present. There is room for players to use a USB camera to show themselves picture in picture. "You're going to need some decent upstream bandwidth," Vonderhaar added. "You do not need a high end PC. You do not need complex streaming software and hardware." More information will be revealed closer to launch.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...l-streaks-embraces-e-sports-first-screenshots

'Call of Duty: Black Ops 2' embraces eSports with built-in broadcasting, seasonal league play
Treyarch is proposing seven seasonal brackets, in which players will be placed based on their performance as time goes on. Black Ops 2 will find an initial bracket for you somewhere after a few games, but players are expected to move up and down in their ranking as they win and lose in their division. They won't be competing against the entirety of the Call of Duty-playing masses, but a smaller pool of about 500 to 1000 players near their skill level, Vonderhaar says.

In addition to League Play, Treyarch is weaving multiplayer broadcasting tools into its game. Built-in shoutcasting features, teased in Black Ops 2's multiplayer reveal trailer, are designed to treat Call of Duty like a spectator sport, complete with simple-to-broadcast commentary tools.

Black Ops 2's broadcasting tools are simple to use. CODcasters simply join a multiplayer game as a spectator and are given the ability to see all the action in a multiplayer game from different views for play-by-play coverage. (To prevent cheating, live streams of multiplayer matches are delayed a few seconds.)

During CODcasting matches, viewers will see a score panel at the top of the screen. "Score panel is our way of linking this to sports," says Mike Rufail, Treyarch's in-house eSports advisor. "Essentially, when you flick the channel over to a sports broadcast, you immediately will find out what the score is, how much time is left in the game, who's in the lead. It's very necessary information."

Shoutcasters will even have the option of listening in to the mic feeds of players to hear how teammates are communicating (or trash talking).

More info here regarding Perks, Score Streaks

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/...s-scorestreaks

Vids on the new maps:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB3V1DLtSKQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0780E8mBpQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZQA_N6kiVQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-ri5zjUTzs
Here is another gameplay video that is not int he OP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB3V1...&feature=g-u-u

Zabuza

Banned
So bored of these weak ass war shooters with "addictive" multiplayer. Haven't people grown bored of this leveling up shit yet? These features don't make the game fun.

I can see why the game is stupid fun to some people but all joking aside, this is the series that needs the least amount of skill to play which is why it is so popular to begin with.

TheOddOne

'Call of Duty: Black Ops 2' embraces eSports with built-in broadcasting, seasonal league play
Treyarch is proposing seven seasonal brackets, in which players will be placed based on their performance as time goes on. Black Ops 2 will find an initial bracket for you somewhere after a few games, but players are expected to move up and down in their ranking as they win and lose in their division. They won't be competing against the entirety of the Call of Duty-playing masses, but a smaller pool of about 500 to 1000 players near their skill level, Vonderhaar says.

In addition to League Play, Treyarch is weaving multiplayer broadcasting tools into its game. Built-in shoutcasting features, teased in Black Ops 2's multiplayer reveal trailer, are designed to treat Call of Duty like a spectator sport, complete with simple-to-broadcast commentary tools.

Black Ops 2's broadcasting tools are simple to use. CODcasters simply join a multiplayer game as a spectator and are given the ability to see all the action in a multiplayer game from different views for play-by-play coverage. (To prevent cheating, live streams of multiplayer matches are delayed a few seconds.)

During CODcasting matches, viewers will see a score panel at the top of the screen. "Score panel is our way of linking this to sports," says Mike Rufail, Treyarch's in-house eSports advisor. "Essentially, when you flick the channel over to a sports broadcast, you immediately will find out what the score is, how much time is left in the game, who's in the lead. It's very necessary information."

Shoutcasters will even have the option of listening in to the mic feeds of players to hear how teammates are communicating (or trash talking).

Gorillaz

Idk about this....Treyarch's Netcode is very hit/miss and theater mode added a whole new level of lag in black ops..Im not a big "e sport" guy but I guess it's nice of them to add this tho..

I feel at this stage in the series there is no redemption.

Razek

Banned
The strearming doesn't interest me in the slightest.

However, if we can finally get a decent skill level matching system, especially for zombies, I would be very ecstatic. I don't want to play with morons anymore please.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Live-streaming is a very nice feature. Although is it for everyone or just for Elite premium members?

Also, it's worth pointing out that scorestreak is the same one employed by Medal of Honor 2010. I'm guess these guys are cribbing each other every time, no?

Makoto

MW3 has consistently been getting 1,000+ viewers on Twitch.tv, so if the streaming feature is implemented properly, it could very well be a big deal to a lot of people.

The skill based matchmaking sounds good, but as a PC player I have to question how that will make its way onto the platform. Would be nice to not be paired with incompetents in nearly every game though.

So... is there seriously a competitive CoD scene? And not them just buying their way into mlg?

Don't play them much recently, but I always felt they were... the 'mario kart' of the genre.

jgminto

So... is there seriously a competitive CoD scene? And not them just buying their way into mlg?

Don't play them much recently, but I always felt they were... the 'mario kart' of the genre.

It's more the Super Smash Bros. of the shooting genre. I think it's great that they are pushing e-sports. Even if CoD itself isn't great for it, it'll could at least introduce people to competitive gaming.

Makoto

I love playing with incompetent/dumb allies.

More enemy kills for me.
Meanwhile, the enemy team has 3-capped in Domination and planted a bomb at ones of the sites in SnD, with the rest of your team being totally moronic because they think they're playing TDM. And they're so bad at playing TDM anyway, that all they're doing is feeding the enemy team streak rewards. You take the scrubs, I don't want em.

Radec

Meanwhile, the enemy team has 3-capped in Domination and planted a bomb at ones of the sites in SnD, with the rest of your team being totally moronic because they think they're playing TDM. And they're so bad at playing TDM anyway, that all they're doing is feeding the enemy team streak rewards. You're probably one of the people I'm talking about.

Not when I'm just playing Ground War. So no.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I wonder if this means Dedicated Servers are coming to console?

Nope. Don't think it will ever happen this gen. Activision has gone on record to say that it would cost them too much to implement dedicated servers for consoles.

It's more the Super Smash Bros. of the shooting genre. I think it's great that they are pushing e-sports. Even if CoD itself isn't great for it, it'll could at least introduce people to competitive gaming.

I honestly never thought of CoD as an E-Sports game. It's like using NBA Jam as an E-Sports when NBA 2K is available.

Also, see the number one entry in this video why I don't consider CoD as an "E-Sport."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6TKlqX3QUk&feature=g-all-u
Uber-knife-athon...really?

jgminto

I honestly never thought of CoD as an E-Sports game. It's like using NBA Jam as an E-Sports when NBA 2K is available.

Also, see the number one entry in this video why I don't consider CoD as an "E-Sport."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6TKlqX3QUk&feature=g-all-u
Uber-knife-athon...really?

Well, it's been used as an e-sport before, although last I heard it wasn't fairing too well. But I just think it's great that more games are pushing e-sports.

Xater

After MW3 I was sure I would not want to touch another COD and Halo 4 would be my MP game for the time being. Well this news is very exciting and I ma no longer sure if that will be the case. It's also pretty telling that Treyarch are the ones making these significant changes...

Even if you're burnt out on Call of Duty now, you'd have to be ignorant to not to see the effort Treyarch is doing to keep their games from becoming stale.

Modern Warfare 3 was such a paint-by-numbers sequel that brought absolutely nothing new to the table other than the new pointstreak system and Kill Confirmed. Everything else was justified in being labelled "MW2.5".

Treyarch has to be considered now the premier Call of Duty team.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Well, it's been used as an e-sport before, although last I heard it wasn't fairing too well. But I just think it's great that more games are pushing e-sports.

Yeah, I agree with more games should be pushed for E-Sports. CoD seems to be a logical choice for most people since it's uber-popular.

After MW3 I was sure I would not want to touch another COD and Halo 4 would be my MP game for the time being. Well this news is very exciting and I ma no longer sure if that will be the case. It's also pretty telling that Treyarch are the ones making these significant changes...

They have to since IW is basically a ghost of its former self.

lol
Panic knifing is still in

Yep. Thought it was going to be different this time around.

I do admit, the live-stream and revamping does sound like Treyarch wanting to do something new. I give them props for that. Pointstreaks? Not so much. MoH 2010 did it first. A welcome change, though.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
They should make the knife a 2 hit kill. Or something like in Counter-Strike.

People thought it was going to be that way since the MP reveal trailer showed a player running around with just a knife...(ie: knives can be equipped).

Maybe have the melee need two hits when done in front? Unless an enemy has less than 50 percent health?

From the back it would be a one-hit kill but they can't copy BF3's cinematic stabbings since it goes against CoD's arcade pace.

Bad7667

I think changing the knife to anything other than what it is, would slow down the pace of the game that CoD is going for.

I hated MW3, so this is looking to be going back to more of the game I want.

adelante

So...kinda like FIFA's head-to-head seasons???? Stoked! :D

Top Bottom