• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 gets native YouTube app

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/14/3241181/playstation-3-native-youtube-app

tB3uG.png

Back in 2009, before video game consoles became the streaming video boxes they are today, it was exciting to have any leanback YouTube experience at all — even a sluggish web app that could only stream pitifully low-res video from within the PS3's aging browser. Three and a half years after that initial tease, though, Google is finally delivering the goods: a native YouTube app for PlayStation 3. It's a free download from the PlayStation Store, and while details are scarce for now, it should support HD video, suggest search results as you type them, access video subscriptions from your account, and let you use a connected smartphone as a remote control. You should be able to find it later today in North America, with other countries to follow. We're grateful, to be sure, but Sony's mystery PS3 video service can't come soon enough.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Man, this looks so much better than Youtube XL. Watching youtube with the PS3's web browser was always a bitch. Better late than never.

StuBurns

Banned
That strange YouTubeXL is horrendous.
Why? I don't like it particularly, and I don't really use the PS3 to look at the net because a gamepad is a horrid device to use for the net, but YTXL actually seems much better than most sites I've tried on there. It's like those phones for old people with huge buttons.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
FINALLY. Fuck me, now I'll never need to use the Xbox for media.

No word on when this is out though? So hopefully it'll be another mental year long wait!

Edit: Wait what, TODAY?!

Things like this should really automatically appear on the XMB via FW update. Save up a load of stuff and launch an overhaul like Microsoft does.

Valnen

Things like this should really automatically appear on the XMB via FW update. Save up a load of stuff and launch an overhaul like Microsoft does.

I disagree. If someone doesn't want this on their XMB why should it be forced on them via a new FW? Optional is always better.

Raoh

W/subscription view?

nice, that is a lacking feature of the vita version, I wonder if the vita youtube app is getting an update as well then.

waypoetic

Banned
Finally! Fiiiiinallyyyy!

EDIT: Lol other countries to follow? Yeah, Sweden calling and we still don't have a videostore. Whatever Sony..

onken

Good. The worst part is how the existing one locks you to 240p, which is dumb when you are most certainly watching it on the biggest screen in your house.

kvn

Just realised that the Sony gamescom conference is today, it will probably get mentioned there. Wonder what else they have up their sleeves.

I disagree. If someone doesn't want this on their XMB why should it be forced on them via a new FW? Optional is always better.

A lot of people won't find out about this stuff via the internet like us.

I do hope Sony's next UI for PS4 is designed in such a way that things like this don't go un-noticed.

Top Bottom