• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Nostalgia Critic" ends its run, Channel Awesome/TGWTG to move on to bigger projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Basically everything you need to know is in this video: http://blip.tv/nostalgiacritic/no-more-nostalgia-critic-6353431

In summary, Nostalgia Critic will no longer be a regular show on TGWTG.com, with the Scooby Doo review being the final episode. As far as what this means for the site and production company (Channel Awesome), they've actually just bought a studio and will shortly begin casting calls for a new project called "Demo Reel", which is poised to take over as TGWTG.com's new flagship show.

Pretty bold move, in my opinion. Nostalgia Critic was by far the most popular thing on the site, and they're taking a pretty big risk by ending it. However, I applaud Doug for sticking to his guns here. If he feels like there's no more he can do with the character/concept, then yeah, it's time to move on. I know a lot of people here on GAF didn't care for NC (and I can understand why), but I figured some may be interested in this news. Really looking forward to seeing what new projects they have coming. Hopefully (for their sake) they're just as well-received as NC was.

Does anyone actually like those movies they do? I cant help but feel that whatever they are doing will bomb and he will be back to Nostalgia Critic.

Does anyone actually like those movies they do? I cant help but feel that whatever they are doing will bomb and he will be back to Nostalgia Critic.

Yeah me too.

I wish him well tho.

I enjoyed the Nostalgia Critic so it's bittersweet to see it go BUT it has been getting little stale near the end so maybe this is a good thing.

Hopefully this new thing is good tho.

They already lost Spoony (or rather he lost himself) so losing a big "draw" and not replacing it could be bad.

Brad is awesome tho.

Izick

They cut Spoony and the Nostalgia Critic fizzles out two weeks later?

Just kidding. In all seriousness though, the Nostalgia Critic really was a fun kind of thing, early on, but it got to a point where I just couldn't watch it anymore because it just wasn't funny or fun, and it seems that Doug seems to have seen that as well. You know, you have to respect that. I'm sure he could have squeezed more money/views out of the NC character, but he wanted to end it because he felt nothing was left. I wish others could learn from that.

It's kind of funny to see how these different amateur reviewers have progressed over the years. Spoony has gone through his ups and downs, NC seems to have gone down hill a bit, but not terrible, the Nintendo Nerd seems to still be going strong and possibly getting bigger, and Red Letter Media seems to be growing more and more every day.

Anyway, it was a great show early on, and I hope he continues to do well. I don't really watch anything on there besides Angry Joe occasionally...hell I couldn't even name someone besides Joe, NC, or Spoony actually.

strobogo

Banned
I feel like NC has always been the worst out of all the "major" internet reviewer types. And it's because Doug takes the "character" too seriously. Any of his "commentary" things made me think he took it all too seriously and like he was doing some kind of art. It really became noticeable around the time he did Kickassia.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

I didn't like the last one, but I thought a couple of the earlier ones were pretty funny.

Ultimadrago

Well Nostalgia Critic, when you first came around I enjoyed quite a bit of your earlier stuff. As time went on, I didn't enjoy it quite as much (some really bad episodes in between)
, but still had the occasional good laugh.

Best of wishes to Doug in future endeavors.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Well Nostalgia Critic, when you first came around I enjoyed quite a bit of your earlier stuff. As time went on, I didn't enjoy it quite as much (some really bad episodes in between)
, but still had the occasional good laugh.

Best of wishes to Doug in future endeavors.

Nice avatar. :D

jph139

I haven't bothered keeping up with the Nostalgia Critic in a long while, but interesting to see it end. Good for him, though - not many people get to quit their jobs, yell at a camera, and turn it all into a successful business venture. Interested in seeing how successful they are post-Critic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom