• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: White Nintendo handhelds don't sell in NA; limited white XL may happen

zroid

Banned
Source: IGN

"We have launched silver- and white-colored GBAs, DSes, DSis, and in our [North American] market they don't sell very well," Fils-Aime admitted. "So instead of approaching this lighter-colored product as a mass [product], we're going to look at the opportunity on a much more limited basis. You might see a limited-time offer with a white or silver 3DS XL, or we might colorize it slightly differently. But in terms of an ongoing SKU, the consumer has responded in our marketplace and said that, for a handheld gaming device from Nintendo, that kind of white or silver doesn't sell nearly as well as blue or red or even pink."

I find this surprising, considering the Wii, and the general popularity of white consumer electronics, but sales are sales, I guess.

apologies if old :(

ToxicAdam

I think he just called us dirty and unclean.

But seriously, ever see used White DS Lite's on Craigslist? They look like shit and I think hurt their resell value.

Synless

Red and blue are shit colors! I will never buy a console, controller, or accessory of any kind in those colors.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Nintendo needs to bring back purple.

Purple Gameboy Color, GBA, and Gamecube were the best.

Iacobellis

I feel Reggie is bullshitting us. The only white systems that come to mind in the last decade are the DS and Wii. Those both sold exceptionally well and set new records.

cjkeats

Riggie you son of a bitch, don't you dare make me buy a third 3DS. That white one is a thing of beauty.

I feel Reggie is bullshitting us. The only white systems that come to mind in the last decade are the DS and Wii. Those both sold exceptionally well and set new records.

That's because the Wii was only in white for most of it's life.

Grief.exe

I really hated the colors of the XL. I wished they had gone for full on matte black or white.

I will buy one eventually, looking at Paper Mario and Monster Hunter games coming down the pipe look great. Need something to play on the train to school for the next couple years.

I have my gba micro for now, playing through the awesome Mother III.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Well, the sooner, the better. Because I am not buying one of the shitty 3DS XL colors Nintendo released in the US.

I actually liked the look of the white DSi's. At the same time I was extremely disappointed that the Wii only came in white.

The black Wii U makes me happy.

jman2050

*Looks at various handhelds owned*

*None of them are white except for a PSP with a white faceplate*

He may be on to something here!

Transparent purple GBC > *

Ein Bear

You're right. Reggie is deliberately lying to us, and they only reason they aren't releasing white 3DSes is pure malice.

Hiltz

that's racist?

Reggie, more silver consoles, please.

*dreams of silver wiiu pad*

Not as racist as this!

PSP-black_vs_whitejpg-1.jpg

That white 3DS XL is sexy, but NOA's decision is understandable. Hopefully, we'll see it in the future before I get a 3DS XL.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
It sure took them the hell long enough to realize us Americans were clamoring for red. Hope this means it'll be a standard or launch color for every Nintendo product from now on.

G6ZF9.gif

Derrick01

Banned
I don't like white handhelds either so I agree with Reggie. When I found out the assassin's creed vita bundle was a white one while Europe got black I groaned. I'm still getting it but I'll never be fully satisfied with holding that ugly thing.

Top Bottom