• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else still have a fondness for pre-rendered backgrounds?

- J - D -

Or has everyone moved on and am I merely caught up in a wave of nostalgia?

tIk6T.jpg

6ChNx.png

Zqmf6.jpg

Though the use of it for rpgs, action or adventure games have been practically obsolesced by modern 3d rendering technologies, I think this current gen of consoles is the last cycle in which pre-rendered backgrounds and elements would still be viable. Even in the best-looking games nowadays, you'll find at least one or two stretched, blurred, or generally low-res textures somewhere, in a nook or cranny that the developer hadn't intended you to see. That's been the compromise of allowing complete freedom to observe your surroundings closely, with a controllable camera.

That's always been what drew me to pre-rendered/pre-drawn backgrounds in the 90's up to the early 2000's. Aside from the fact that games during that era were limited by low-res texture and low-poly assets, there was an artistry to pre-rendered backgrounds. I'm not saying that the work on polygonal environments didn't require a similar amount of artistic talent and effort, but a lot of pre-rendered locales had a painterly quality, some were pleasing because they sat in this nebulous space between realism and surrealism. It also helped that having the camera locked at certain angles gave each scene a filmic quality (probably a bad buzzword to use, but it applies). Granted, a lot of games did this with fully 3d backgrounds. Dino Crisis, RE: CV, God of War series, etc etc, but they never had the same effect on me.

4v07X.jpg

RE Remake was a revelation to me.
r32rh.jpg

f3l4i.jpg

It could be my lingering affection for many of games that used pre-rendered environments. If these games were remade today in full 3d, they'd probably look better than they had before. Or maybe it's just my appreciation of color and art design and the density of 'things' in a prepared scene.

One of the few modern full-3d games that has this similar effect on me is Trine 2:

Death blow to nostalgia: It's tough playing games with pre-rendered environments nowadays because they don't scale well at all to higher resolutions.

Not at all. Interactive backgrounds all day, every day. Running around on top of a static painting is something I do not miss one bit

patapuf

i really like them, but i don't miss them. Being able to interact with the environment is more important to me.

Teletraan1

Banned
I would love to see them make a return. After recently playing though FFVII, VIII, and IX I really enjoyed the variety of the environments since it wasn't just a hallway for 40 hours.

I would like to see someone try and do a HD version of the same basic concept with much better character models over pristine looking pre rendered backgrounds. If you set your light sources to match each scene I think you could make the character models blend in with the background a lot better than they used to.

I don't see how you interact with 3D rendered areas in 95% of games. Sure there are sometimes destructible environments but they are usually just bullshit anyway. You could place interactive objects around the "static painting" that would mesh a lot better than an item box in FFVII did.

Koren

Love them too, but maybe I love even better drawn background. Games like Legend of Mana are still great nowadays...

legend_of_mana_001.jpg

There's far better ones, but I lack the time to search...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Yeah! I just played through Parasite Eve, and I really enjoyed the effect. It sparked an urge to play through more of that era of game (survival horror, RPGs, etc).

Death blow to nostalgia: It's tough playing games with pre-rendered environments nowadays because they don't scale well at all to higher resolutions.

Maybe because I have a plasma... I thought it looked pretty good. Old, but good. I think plasmas maintain the softer look that old CRTs used to give games. You can blow up a SNES game or PS1 game to 50 inches, and it kinda looks how it always did.

Recently played some Mario Party N64 and I could not believe how many bad, low-res pre-rendered backgrounds they used. Pre-rendered, static board, I get. But some mini-game environments were just pictures with 3D models on top. Very stiff presentations. Would not miss one bit.

Alloweed some old games to age way better than their full 3D counter parts.

Anyway I love thi and would love that some games would come back to it.

You're not alone. Like you said, they have a surreal quality that's difficult to find anywhere else. While I'm a big fan of them, I don't think many (if any) games will use them in the future. Maybe an independent developer will catch on and experiment with them, but that's all I can really imagine.

Nibel

They could look crazy good today

I think that iOS game - Republique ? - uses them and it looks very nice

EGM1966

Still love them. Some nice examples there. I'd love to see an HD remaster of Grim Fandango and The Longest Journey in particular - I particularly liked many of their backdrops.

I love them, too.

HD pre-rendered backgrounds... man... those might be nice.
The questions I have are: would they be cheaper to make and would production time be faster?

So if they made a PS3/360 Final Fantasy in a similar method to FFVII-IX, would it be easier/cheaper than making these massive polygonal worlds?

BocoDragon

I also miss the pre-selected camera angles. The way you'd turn into a hallway and it would have this dramatic, tilted camera behind the character's back, and you run into the distance......

For a little while into the "good 3D era" (PS2 and above), they maintained the fixed camera in games like FFX and DMC, but soon enough they switched to dynamic and user-directed cameras.

I like it in games where the camera is dynamic and user-directed too... but there was a certain cinematic feel to the creator's choice of camera angle.

The beach in Onimusha 2 is unforgettable. I think Onimusha is a great example. Onimusha 1 and 2 used prerendered backrounds and 3 did not. While 3 was still a great looking game overall, parts of 1 and 2 just looked better and made the atmoshpere really stand out.

I do so very much. I wish Square go back to pre-rendered backgrounds for a Final Fantasy entries.

How about hand-drawn ones in 3D thanks to Bravely Default? Which is basically a sequel to FF: 4 heroes of light, which is basically old-school FF with job system.
Hand-drawn or CG pre-rendered backgrounds will probably rule on 3DS. But no so much on home consoles. There, I like the full 3D world experience.

BocoDragon

REmake is a good example of animated backgrounds....

.....but no one should forget Onimusha 2! That one had some amazing pre-rendered backgrounds. 10 years later I can still remember a beach battle with a lapping tide.....

The beach in Onimusha 2 is unforgettable.

Argh!!!

massoluk

Banned
How about hand-drawn ones in 3D thanks to Bravely Default? Which is basically a sequel to FF: 4 heroes of light, which is basically old-school FF with job system.
Hand-drawn or CG pre-rendered backgrounds will probably rule on 3DS. But no so much on home consoles. There, I like the full 3D world experience.

I played 4 Warriors of Light, no way in hell would I considered it pre-rendered background.
EDIT: Oh, you're talking Bravely Default. We'll see.

ubercheez

A lot of the old classics are still gorgeous even to this day because their backgrounds were so well done. There's much more developer control over the art direction when they know exactly how the player will be viewing things. I think there's still room for that kind of design philosophy amongst today's games alongside the more standard full-camera-control types.

480px-Home_divine_dragon_falls.png

I would love to see something like this in HD.

The problem I have is that I can never combine the 3D characters onto the pre-rendered backgrounds due to quality disparity. It's hard to do it right. For games that have a coherent overall look, yeah, I really do love pre-rendered backgrounds.

BocoDragon

The problem I have is that I can never combine the 3D characters onto the pre-rendered backgrounds due to quality disparity. It's hard to do it right. For games that have a coherent overall look, yeah, I really do love pre-rendered backgrounds.

I think it could be done today if you really aimed for it.

2San

I like them, but it's kinda crappy playing some of these older games with a high resolution display. It's nice that the infinity engine lends it self to uprezzing by increasing the draw distance.
Pretty much. :(

REmake, chrono cross and Onimusha series all had awesome pre rendered backgrounds. They really impressed me when i was younger

BocoDragon

I'm curious if anyone else has played these old games on a plasma TV, and agrees they don't look bad.

The alternative is that I have different tolerances to these things than most :p

- J - D -

I'm curious if anyone else has played these old games on a plasma TV, and agrees they don't look bad.

Not a plasma (maybe that's the difference?), but I've been playing a lot of PS1 classics (on my PS1 and some on PSN) on my big led tv and the effect is diminished from what I remember from my younger days on playing on an old tube tv.

The problem for me is playing old pre-rendered pc games on a modern pc monitor. Either you play it in a tiny window or tolerate the stretched/blurred image. I think I might need to get a crt to appreciate the old titles.

hachi

Banned
I also miss the pre-selected camera angles. The way you'd turn into a hallway and it would have this dramatic, tilted camera behind the character's back, and you run into the distance......

For a little while into the "good 3D era" (PS2 and above), they maintained the fixed camera in games like FFX and DMC, but soon enough they switched to dynamic and user-directed cameras.

I like it in games where the camera is dynamic and user-directed too... but there was a certain cinematic feel to the creator's choice of camera angle.

Yes, precisely. It doesn't work for every genre, but I'd love to generally see much less of first-person gaming (which feels at best like a hand-cam documentary in motion) and more games that feel like they have the eye of a skilled director behind them, with the exact angle and cropping of each area being significant.

For something like a survival horror game, that can work beautifully, as well as various puzzle or adventure genres of course. It need not equate with "on rails" or limited freedom; that's only when applied badly to a mismatched genre like a shooter of some sort.

I like prerendered backgrounds quite a bit, but they have pretty much been superseded. Still, it would be nice what could be done with HD backgrounds.

And by "prerendered," I also include stuff like Legend of Mana and Saga Frontier 2.

OP's completely right about those old backgrounds not scaling up well--playing the PSX FFs blown up on an emulator is yikes!

BocoDragon

Not a plasma, but I've been playing a lot of PS1 classics (on my PS1 and some on PSN) on my big led tv and the effect is diminished from what I remember from my younger days on playing on an old tube tv.

The problem for me is playing old pre-rendered pc games on a modern pc monitor. Either you play it in a tiny window or tolerate the stretched/blurred image. I think I might need to get a crt to appreciate the old titles.

I know LCDs make them look bad. They look bad on a small LCD HD monitor I have, and I used to play on the CRT in my bedroom instead.

But plasma, specifically.... it's blown up to 50 inches and I think it looks good!

- J - D -

I know LCDs make them look bad. They look bad on a small LCD HD monitor I have, and I used to play on the CRT in my bedroom instead.

But plasma, specifically.... it's blown up to 50 inches and I think it looks good!

If there's something to plasma tech that helps with the upscale, then I'll definitely look into it. Might be cheaper to find an old crt on craigslist though. :)

BocoDragon

If there's something to plasma tech that helps with the upscale, then I'll definitely look into it. Might be cheaper to find an old crt on craigslist though. :)

Might be cheaper :p

I have a little 20 inch toshiba CRT, and it's even a flatscreen with component inputs and everything. I think it's perfect for old games. I don't think giant CRTs look that good... and they're heavy and scary. :p I just ditched one out of my life and kept the small one.

I have a 50" Sony SXRD (1080P LCoS Rear-pro) and for whatever reason upscaled games don't look too bad on it at all. 1080p is best but even 720p console games look pretty good to me on this set and I couldn't understand all the bitching. Earlier this year, I tried a 55" Panasonic Plasma AND LCD and I couldn't believe how much worse my console games looked. Not only were jaggies magnified but I swear framerates looked far choppier as well. I don't know if it's the processing, or just the inherent accuracy in a flat panel (maybe both). I never noticed it on PC because I always ran at native res or in a window whenever possible.

Yeah. I love the backgrounds in FFVIII but the difference between the actual character models and the background is staggering. Hard to really reconcile unless you try hard.

Top Bottom