• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 character, vehicle DLC coming separately to Season Pass

Social

from Eurogamer:

Borderlands 2 developer Gearbox has hinted at several upcoming DLC packs which won't be covered by the game's Season Pass.

Gearbox boss Randy Pitchford explained that additional DLC will include additional characters, like the already-revealed Mechromancer.

"We will have other, non-season pass related DLC. The additional character (Mechromancer) is one kind of example," Pitchford said in a reader Q&A on Kotaku, and added that more characters were "likely".

"Since we finished the game, we've started with some new ideas that we expect will show up in DLC. Some new vehicle types are on-deck - [it's] awesome stuff."

Borderlands 2's Season Pass, which costs about £20 depending on your plaform of choice, merely covers the game's four major expansions.

"The stuff we're planning and working on for the Campaign DLC Season Pass is big DLC stuff - more like [Borderlands 1 expansion] Knoxx.

"We're extremely far along with the first campaign DLC," Pitchford concluded. "The second DLC is also in amazing shape. The third DLC is a little farther out and the fourth DLC is just in the pre-concept stages."

Why Gearbox? Why?

3pxhb3.jpg

Nome

Is there an issue here?
It was pretty clear beforehand what the Season Pass would entail. The game is already chock full of content, and I don't think anyone actually expected to get EVERY piece of DLC with the Season Pass, especially as it doesn't include pre-order DLC anyway.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is really frustrating for me since I didn't have a preorder for the game as I was just playing the first during prerelease. Now I have to pay for the Mechromancer even though I was going to get the season pass. The if the expansions are as big as Knoxx (which was probably the longest DLC I've ever played) the pass will be worth it but passes should work for all DLC.

NinjaBoiX

This really stinks. Season passes were supposed to allow you to buy everything up front, but more and more this seems to be happening. It's kind of disgusting.

Nome

This is really frustrating for me since I didn't have a preorder for the game as I was just playing the first during prerelease. Now I have to pay for the Mechromancer even though I was going to get the season pass. The if the expansions are as big as Knoxx (which was probably the longest DLC I've ever played) the pass will be worth it but passes should work for all DLC.
On the other hand, it'd be dumb if the big pre-order incentive (Mechromancer) was included in the Season Pass, which a bunch of fans were going to get anyway :)

MMaRsu

Banned
Hey yo buy this season pass so you can get all the dlc at a discount!

Oh hey but wait up now, don't forget about these additional dlc packs that aren't included with the season pass so better make sure you buy that too!

Twinduct

I'm in two minds about this. Clearly we'd have to wait see what content will be included as extras. I mean if you take the vehicle thing, it's a complete non-essential. Would it be nice if it was included in the pass? Sure.

I do think something like a new character though should be covered in the pass. Considering the game's dynamics is built upon it's cast, another character is essentially an expansion.

Glass Rebel

I don't see any problem with this if they've been 100% honest what the Season Pass would include.

They shouldn't have called it Season Pass though.

Toki767

This news encourages me to wait for the Game of the Year version. Or wait for Steam to do some franchise sale on the whole thing.

El-Suave

The description of the season pass clearly states that it is for the expansions and it details how much your savings will be. There's nothing wrong with that.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This news encourages me to wait for the Game of the Year version. Or wait for Steam to do some franchise sale on the whole thing.

Waiting for an all-inclusive DLC bundle or GoTY Edition is always the way to go if the game isn't one you're highly anticipating.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
On the other hand, it'd be dumb if the big pre-order incentive (Mechromancer) was included in the Season Pass, which a bunch of fans were going to get anyway :)
The limited edition of BF3 included Back to Karkand but that was still a part of the Premium Pass. It's just annoying since I'll be getting the game soon after launch and missing out on a character will make it feel incomplete to me. If I was going to wait on it it wouldn't be an issue at all. I feel in love with the first game after getting it free with Plus so after I finish up the Robolution DLC I'm jumping right into 2.

jet1911

Hey yo buy this season pass so you can get all the dlc at a discount!

Oh hey but wait up now, don't forget about these additional dlc packs that aren't included with the season pass so better make sure you buy that too!

Except that Gearbox clearly stated what was included in the season pass.

I guess I'm ok with this? I mean the pass was $10 for me and I'm also getting the Mechromancer for free. If this additional DLC means more classes I might buy it, probably not interested in vehicles.

Aaron

I didn't get the pass, but it really should cover everything for the time allotted. That's the whole point of the pass. Leaving things out, no matter how small, is just confusing the consumer, and souring them on the whole process.

NZNova

Season Pass is exactly what it said on the tin. I bought BL2 and the season pass and I'm fine with this. But then, I read what I'm buying before I buy it.

This thread outing the people who don't know how to read.

Steam/GMG descriptions for Season Pass.

lI7Tz.jpg

This thread is outlining that the current Season Pass should not be called such as it is more of a pack of 4 DLC. Not all the DLC for the 'season'.

Gearbox have nothing to answer for, they are one of the best when it comes to DLC value for consumers, just that some people are confused as to why they called the bundle something incorrect.

Nome

This thread is outlining that the current Season Pass should not be called such as it is more of a pack of 4 DLC. Not all the DLC for the 'season'.

Gearbox have nothing to answer for, they are one of the best when it comes to DLC value for consumers, just that some people are confused as to why they called the bundle something incorrect.
Because that's the most commonly used industry descriptor for a major DLC bundle like this. Let's go back to playing the game now.

Mikeside

There are plenty of reasons to bitch about DLC and nickel and dime-ing, but I don't think this is one of them.

Season Pass was advertised as 4 big expansions - nothing has changed regarding that.

This DLC seems to be more characters and more vehicles. It's additional stuff.. a bonus.
If you don't want more characters and vehicles (which you never even knew about before this announcement, anyway) then don't buy them, I guess?

Could be a PC thing, but you get the Mechro without needing to have preordered on consoles. It's just a one time use code in the box.

pretty good reason right here.

"The stuff we're planning and working on for the Campaign DLC Season Pass is big DLC stuff - more like [Borderlands 1 expansion] Knoxx.

If it all equals out to roughly the size of a full expansion pack, then I'm totally fine with that. DLC has really become such a tainted phrase in gaming, if it was still called an expansion pack and priced at $20 (or whatever) nobody would bat an eyelid at it.

But as it is, I am about 15-17 hours into Borderlands 2 and I feel like I have already gotten my monies worth out of it. Gearbox did a fine job with this sequel. Even as it is, the game doesn't feel turnicated or incomplete at all. If they want to add more, then great.

Oops, which is not the debate going on here. I can see why people will me mad that not everything will be included with the season pass, but they did make them selves clear on that, as it was pointed out already.

JDSN

Banned
Its kinda hard to feel bad for the season pass buyers who cant read, so yeah, thanks for participating in the scheme.

AHA-Lambda

LA Noire's season pass is still the gold standard. What was it £10? And you got absolutely every piece of DLC from that one? Yeah, still haven't bought a season pass since then.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Doesn't stuff like this defeat the purpose of a season pass? These passes were first introduced as a pass for all DLC content for a cheaper price. They need to name these things differently

So let me get this straight. No matter what, if you buy the season pass, you'll save $10 (if you were planning on getting them all anyway). However, since it doesn't include everything that will be offered in the future, you're pissed? Why exactly do you feel entitled to everything even though you only paid for 4 particular pieces and already saved some money?

CTE

Considering what they did with the first game and the DLC. I fully trust Gearbox to come through. The first game had some of the best DLC of all time IMO.

Stasis

So let me get this straight. No matter what, if you buy the season pass, you'll save $10 (if you were planning on getting them all anyway). However, since it doesn't include everything that will be offered in the future, you're pissed? Why exactly do you feel entitled to everything even though you only paid for 4 particular pieces and already saved some money?

Exactly. There's absolutely zero reason to bitch here... there really is just no pleasing some of you.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Could be a PC thing, but you get the Mechro without needing to have preordered on consoles. It's just a one time use code in the box.
Oh cool. Hopefully it's a first shipment thing then. Picking up the game today so I may be good.

I think the reason that some people are annoyed by this is the fact that it's called a season pass. That seems to imply that all content for an alloted period of time will be included. If it had a different name, then I think this wouldn't be as annoying.

I would bet that 'Season Pass' in this instance was chosen by 2K Games marketing rather than Gearbox, without malice too. Just one of those things where they could have looked at it on paper and realised it wasn't the correct descriptor for the content but hey who are we to say it should be more accurate.

Doesn't stuff like this defeat the purpose of a season pass? These passes were first introduced as a pass for all DLC content for a cheaper price. They need to name these things differently

That doesn't seem logical.

syoaran

This feels very similar to the Dungeon Defenders DLC strategy which I liked a lot. Buy DLC for campaign at a discount, buy the characters/challenge modes separately at £2 a pop. If the additional characters/remixed levels didn't interest you, you didn't have to buy the or have them forced into the price of the campaign DLC

Kouriozan

That's why you don't buy DLC without knowing what it is.
And yeah, it was about 4 DLC, not the 4 first DLC or whatever.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, other than mechromancer which I'm getting from a preorder already anyway, vehicle DLC doesn't seem appealing at all.

NinjaBoiX

This is exactly it, it's the wording. If they called it a DLC bundle, then fine. But the words "season" and "pass" imply that you have a pass, for all the DLC that, um, season?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
This is exactly it, it's the wording. If they called it a DLC bundle, then fine. But the words "season" and "pass" imply that you have a pass, for all the DLC that, um, season?

It would be a problem if they didn't list out what will go into the pass.

Top Bottom