• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DUBSTEP |OT| Because WUB WUB WUB WUB

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is dubstep, Wikipedia?

Dubstep (/ˈdʌbstɛp/) is a genre of electronic dance music that originated in South London, England. The music website Allmusic has described its overall sound as "tightly coiled productions with overwhelming bass lines and reverberant drum patterns, clipped samples, and occasional vocals"

Wub said, now post some dubstep.

wubstep.jpg

Feed The Cat Mixtape - 60 minutes of Electro Dubstep and EDM from Monstercat - Mixed by Ephixa

Far Too Loud - 600 Years

Ital tek - Archaic

Skream - Stagger

Knife Party - Bonfire

Galang

Banned
I love that you have iTAL tEK in the OP, his new album in a few days will complete my life. Surprised how little plays all his songs have, but hopefully the new album will change that!

Babel is one of my favourite songs ever, so good.

For all prospective posters to this thread: Please, for the love of God, NO ARGUING ABOUT WHAT IS AND WHAT ISN'T DUBSTEP!!

Oh and tagged :b

I've been trying to get into dubstep for the past little while but I have no idea where to start. So far the artists that I really enjoy are Bassnectar and Excision. I guess I'm looking for stuff that's crazy heavy and has that stereotypical drop.
Far Too Loud - 600 Years in OP was cool.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Knife Party is a must listen to for newcomers, some of the best dubstep out there.

Galang

Banned
For all prospective posters to this thread: Please, for the love of God, NO ARGUING ABOUT WHAT IS AND WHAT ISN'T DUBSTEP!!

Honestly I came in here expecting people to complain about the OP songs before even clicking on the thread. No matter what someone always finds a way to be a pretentious brat. People need to just enjoy the music for what it is :D

what if someone posts music that genuinely isn't dubstep?

i know you're referring to dubstep vs brostep vs post-dub vs future garage vs trap/juke/footwerk vs [insert here]

but sometimes someone posts something that is genuinely not even close to dubstep.

also, have to:
Beardyman - "Drum & Bass vs Dubstep" | a Do512 Lounge Session
Indie Music & Dubstep - Beardyman Live

I've been trying to get into dubstep for the past little while but I have no idea where to start. So far the artists that I really enjoy are Bassnectar and Excision. I guess I'm looking for stuff that's crazy heavy and has that stereotypical drop.

I think we have similar tastes. You might enjoy Zomboy

http://youtu.be/UrFzQAU6s-U

Knife Party is a must listen to for newcomers, some of the best dubstep out there.

Been meaning to do that. I keep hearing about them on the Gamescoop podcast.

what if someone posts music that genuinely isn't dubstep?

i know you're referring to dubstep vs brostep vs post-dub vs future garage vs trap/juke/footwerk vs [insert here]

but sometimes someone posts something that is genuinely not even close to dubstep.

That's fine but some people take it overboard and chase everyone out of the thread if you're not listening to stuff they considered dubstep in the early 2000s and only has a certain BPM. Next thing you know the thread becomes a circle jerk of a handful of posters and the thing dies. Better to try to nurture fans, even if its music you don't consider 100% dub, then to scare people off.

gdt

I'm not to familiar with dub/brostep.

All I really know is Skrillex. My evaluation of his EPs.

My Name is Skrillex is great. Some brostep, mixed with electro or whatever.

Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites. Full brostep, don't like it anywhere near as much. The title track is abhorrent. Kill Everyone is awesome and so is Rock and Roll.

Bangarang, pulled it way back from the straight brostep, and of course its his best ep. Awesome songs left and right, except for that song with that rapper girl. Summit is fucking ridiculous, Right On Time is diiiirty, all good stuff.

gdt

Knife Party is fucking AWESOME though. I'm not sure if they all that bro-stepy (though they have their moments). Lots of....ummm....electro I guess.

Galang

Banned
That's fine but some people take it overboard and chase everyone out of the thread if you're not listening to stuff they considered dubstep in the early 2000s and only has a certain BPM. Next thing you know the thread becomes a circle jerk of a handful of posters and the thing dies. Better to try to nurture fans, even if its music you don't consider 100% dub, then to scare people off.

Very well said! I support this!

lol dubstep sucks. people are laughing at you.

That username... too many jokes can be made. :/

gdt

i remember the times where electronica actually still somewhat resembled music.

Dubstep (or brostep or whatever) isn't electronica, which more generally used as an all encompassing label for electronic music, whether it be house, techo, dubstep, grime, etc etc etc.

It'd be like using speed metal at the prime example for everything in rock music, including the Beatles, the Stones, and Dylan.

Now if Dubstep doesn't resemble music for you, ok then (though again, I suspect you mean brostep, not stuff like Skream).

Excision frequently collaborates with Datsik, so it might be worthwhile giving his stuff a look.

To bring things bang up to date, Nero recently released a new song for free.

Also, to dive somewhat off topic (it's either drumstep or drum & bass, it's too quick to qualify as dubstep), I always like a spot of Run Riot.

this is not dubstep. it is also not good.

andherewego.gif

I realise that the whole "brostep vs future garage" debate is probably the biggest internet pissing match in dance music since "Pendulum killed DnB", so please keep the urine to a minimum. It should be fairly clear from the title and the first post which side of the debate this thread is leaning, anyway.

Amakusa

Man, Dubstep has been around a really long time now. I remember listening when I was kid. Those teachers on Charle Brown knew how to drop some bass.. I miss those days

gryz

Banned
andherewego.gif

I realise that the whole "brostep vs future garage" debate is probably the biggest internet pissing match in dance music since "Pendulum killed DnB", so please keep the urine to a minimum. It should be fairly clear from the title and the first post which side of the debate this thread is leaning, anyway.

I feel like skrillex isn't even brostep though, I can enjoy some brostep. its just a completely separate category of awful, its like the Katy Perry of electronic music.

Jibbed

Brostep is more my thing, but I've recently branched out to a metric fuck-tonne of other stuff.

Skrillex's OWSLA label is a goldmine.

Fusebox

Banned
I get into some proper hard brostep and I dig straight up dubstep too. Everything from Flux Pavilion and 16 Bit to Nero and Rusko.

gryz

Banned
I'm on the Hyperdub side of this debate, so I won't even go there.

So: GIVE ME YOUR BEST WUB, not some generic trash, but still the real deal. Hearing generic wubbiness in stupid commercials is probably a big part of my anti-wub stance. GIVE ME YOUR BEST WUB MAKE ME WANT TO TAKE MDMA AND NOT SLEEP FOR 48 HOURS MINIMUM

still the best

I have no idea what bro-step means. People get too into labelling all this music.

All i know is ive been a fan of pendulum for years.

Then they split and Rob and Gareth formed Knife party.

Knife party are awesome.

I have no idea what bro-step means. People get too into labelling all this music.

Knife party are awesome.

Pendulum: Drum & Bass. Hold Your Colour is among the most influential DnB albums, although the other two albums weren't as good in my opinion. Knife Party is one of the artists that seem to straddle the line between brostep and electrohouse (with a side order of drumstep).

gryz

Banned

Knife party are awesome.

cool now I know to stay as far away from knife party as possible

illadelph

not hardcore into dubstep, but i'll check out some of the stuff in this thread when i get a chance

I fucks with this album -

8538a79f-6270-48c5-9593-c4e366c30937.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom