• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Story: Asylum |OT| Nuns, and nazis, and scares! Oh, my!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemesis_

dTVh0.jpg

DlIQd.png

SEASON PREMIERE:
Wednesday October 17th at 10P [only on FX]

American Horror Story is a horror-drama series created and produced by Ryan Murphy (Nip/Tuck) and Brad Falchuk. The series has been referred to as an "anthology" series
as every series features different characters, settings and story lines while utilizing the same actors who may return for different roles. From the beginning, Murphy and Falchuk had
planned for the series to be a different story each season - allowing for actors to sign on without having to commit to multiple year runs and allowing the show to remain fresh and
varied. As such, each story is conceived and penned at the beginning of the production cycle from beginning to end. Murphy and Falchuk are inspired by The Walking Dead, saying that
it is one of the "greatest TV viewing experiences".

Asylum is the second season of American Horror Story. It will take place in Briarcliff Manor, a mansion bought by the Catholic church in 1963 that was subsequently re-purposed into a
sanitarium. Prior to the purchase of the manor by the church, Briarcliff served as a Tuberculosis ward. Briarcliff is run by a two key figures - Monsignor Timothy O'Hara and Sister Jude,
though Sister Eunice, another nun, is second in command.

The story concerning the Harmon family in Los Angeles will obviously not be continued here, as the story takes place in the 60s.

You do not need to watch the first season to understand this one - each season of American Horror Story is independent of one another​

REGARDING SPOILERS:
  • Spoilers regarding episodes not yet aired are to be spoiler tagged.
  • Discussions about episodes that have aired are not to be spoiler tagged.
  • Not only does this prevent the thread from looking like a giant black wall, but it allows members to pick out real spoilers from plot points about episodes they've already seen.
qPgbJ.png

ATfoz.gif
BwCSi.gif
vmxaL.gif

• Jessica Lange plays Sister Jude
    A nun who is more sadistic than saintly, she is in charge of administration and discipline at Briarcliff.​
  • Joseph Fiennes plays Reverend Monsignor Timothy O'Hara
    O'Hara is the head of Briarcliff, ranking over Sister Jude in authority. Despite his title, he is not innocent nor pure, but alleged to be rather nefarious​
  • James Cromwell plays Doctor Arden
    A rumoured Nazi scientist, Arden has regular dealings with Briarcliff's inmates. Some whisper he has created many diabolical experiments, Arden is more than meets the eye​
sbdHV.gif
lQPFB.gif
Ips5e.gif

• Zachary Quinto plays Doctor Thredson
    A psychiatrist at Briarcliff whose forward-thinking ways constantly clash with Sister Jude's management style.​
  • Lily Rabe plays Sister Eunice
    Sister Jude's right hand man, Sister Eunice appears to be a bit "dense", but there is more to her that meets the eye.​
  • Sarah Paulson plays Lana
    A lesbian journalist who will go as far as she can for her story, she is rumoured to have wanted to expose the goings-ons of Briarcliff.​
5bbFG.gif
UK2HC.gif
MiYSg.gif

• Adam Levine plays Leo
    One part of a couple known as "the lovers", Leo visits modern-day Briarcliff with his wife for a honeymoon. That is, until something goes awry.​
    Jenna Dewan Tatum plays Teresa, Leo's newlywed wife who is exploring haunted locations with him across America​
  • Chloë Sevigny plays Shelly
    Shelly is a nymphomaniac committed to Briarcliff by her husband. She is apparently a "challenge" for Sister Jude, and is referred to as her own personal antagonist​
  • Evan Peters plays Kit
    A subject of Sister Jude's cruel punishment, Kit is committed after being accused of murdering his wife. His stance? She was abducted by something "not quite human"​
  • Lizzie Brocheré plays Grace
    A quiet, observant patient at Briarcliff. Sometime following Kit's own committal, the two become close friends.​

LoAJW.jpg
gMLze.jpg
ZFDsz.jpg
Yb27G.jpg
IR0Qs.jpg
hB4pD.jpg
J7OlS.jpg
CG5n3.jpg
KakyB.jpg
EIi7a.jpg

OTHER GUEST APPEARANCES:

• Clea DuVall plays Wendy
    Lana's partner, a science teacher, she values her position and loves her girlfriend​
  • Mark Consuelos plays Spivey
    A patient at Briarcliff and a degenerate bully.​
  • Franka Potente plays Anne Frank
    A patient admitted to Briarcliff claiming to be Anne Frank.​
  • Mark Margolis plays Sam Goodman
    A Jewish man and devoted Nazi Hunter.​
  • Frances Conroy plays Shachath
    A dark angel of death who visits Briarcliff when it's patients time is up.​
  • Ian McShane plays Leigh Emerson
    A rapist and/or serial killer who preys on his victims during Christmas, while dressed as Santa.​

Dylan McDermott who appeared in the original season, will be returning in some capacity to Asylum

7OccT.png

American Horror Story: Asylum will run for 13 episodes this year, extending the length of the season by one episode.
It is expected to end in January (following a break after Episode 09), and as per tradition set by the first season, the second episode will be a Halloween special.

DETAILED EPISODE GUIDE

01.) Welcome To Briarcliff October 17th 2012 (3.85mil viewers)
We enter an asylum on the American Horror Story Season 2 premiere.

02.) Tricks and Treats October 24th 2012 (3.06mil viewers)
Watch the episode teaser trailer
The staff summon an exorcist to deal with a possessed farm boy, while Sister Jude’s dark past is revealed.

03.) Nor'easter October 31st 2012 (2.47mil viewers)
A fierce storm hits at Briarcliff, triggering an escape plan by some of the inmates. Sister Jude's past torments her.

04.) I Am Anne Frank (Part 1) November 7th 2012 (2.65mil viewers)
A new patient alleging that she is Anne Frank discloses
Dr. Arden's history.
Kit discovers why Grace was admitted to Briarcliff.

05.) I Am Anne Frank (Part 2) November 14th 2012 (2.78mil viewers)
Sister Jude hires a famed Nazi hunter, to build a case against Dr. Arden. Kit makes a startling confession. Bloody Face is unmasked.

06.) The Origin of Monstrosity November 21st 2012 (1.89mil viewers)
An enigmatic little girl is forsaken at the asylum. The Monsignor makes a Faustian deal with Dr. Arden. The genesis of Bloody Face is disclosed.

07.) Dark Cousin November 28th 2012 (2.27mil viewers)
Sister Mary Eunice is petrified to discover that a dark angel has descended upon Briarcliff. Kit makes a brazen move to be reunited with Grace.

08.) Unholy Night December 5th 2012 (2.36mil viewers)
A homicidal Santa wreaks havoc on Briarcliff. Sister Jude faces off with the Devil. Dr. Arden has a startling encounter in the Death Chute.

09.)The Coat Hanger December 12th 2012 (2.22mil viewers)
The Monsignor takes an unlikely convert under his wing. Lana secures a new piece of evidence that can exonerate Kit. Dr. Arden witnesses a miraculous return

10.) The Name Game January 2nd, 2013 (2.21mil viewers)
The Monsignor confronts the Devil. Dr. Arden’s experiments reach a shocking conclusion. Dr. Thredson facilitates a
surprising reunion for Kit.

11.) Spilt Milk January 9th, 2013 (2.51mil viewers)
Grace brings Kit devastating news about the aliens’ experiments on Alma. Dr. Thredson receives an unexpected visitor.
The Monsignor
goes to extreme lengths to silence Jude.

12.) Continuum January 16th, 2013
A deadly new inmate threatens Sister Jude’s chance of release from Briarcliff. Grace’s
obsession with the aliens
turns violent.

13.) Madness Ends January 23rd, 2013
Johnny sets out to complete his father's work. Lana leads the charge to finally shut down Briarcliff.

cCORM.png

The producers have released many forms of media to promote Asylum - though most of them seem to be short teasers.
These teasers are pretty short (none last longer than 20 seconds) and it's fairly certain they don't contain any actual footage.

TEASERS (click the thumbnail to view)

PROMO TRAILERS (click the thumbnail to view)

01.) AMERICAN HORROR STORY - ASYLUM [Cast Billings Promo]
02.) AMERICAN HORROR STORY - ASYLUM [Second Promo]
03.) AMERICAN HORROR STORY - ASYLUM [Enter The Asylum] CONTAINS ACTUAL FOOTAGE Potentially Spoilery

You can watch the first five minutes by clicking the image below.

POSTERS

nEOKY.jpg
H5wdv.jpg
uBBLh.jpg
INyJ8.jpg

J4A46.png

AVAILABLE NOW on Bluray and DVD

Surburbia is the name I've decided to give to the original American Horror Story series. =P
Note that the seasons do not relate to each other - Asylum can be enjoyed without watching Suburbia and similarly you can even watch it AFTER Asylum!

GEL9a.jpg
h7d6E.jpg

Taking place in 2011, Suburbia is largely concerned with themes of infidelity. It follows the Harmon family (Ben, Vivien and daughter Violet), who move from Boston to Los Angeles following Vivien's stillbirth.
Eventually purchasing a house for a price much cheaper than it's worth, the family unknowingly moves into a haunted house with a storied past dating all the way back to the 20s. Ben and Vivien are trying to
rekindle their relationship, Violet develops depression and finds solace in one of Ben's psychiatric patients, Tate Langdon, whom Ben sees in his house due to the family financial troubles.

Moira, a maid, services the house on a regular occasion but also harbours a secret and is connected to the house more than you would imagine. Constance, the Harmon's creepy neighbour, constantly visits the
house offering up tidbits of advice to the family, though there is more to her than meets the eye. To make matters worse, Larry, a disfigured man, continues to stalk Ben and warns him of the dangers of that house,
and what it does to people.​

• Dylan McDermott plays Doctor Ben Harmon - a psychiatrist married to Vivien Harmon and father of Violet Harmon.
  • Connie Britton plays Vivien Harmon - A cellist who had a stillbirth which subsequently made her withdraw from her husband.
  • Taissa Farmigia plays Violet Harmon - The only child in the Harmon family and a social outcast. She self-harms regularly.
  • Jessica Lange plays Constance - Next door neighbour and former resident of the house the Harmons move into, she moved to Los Angeles to become a star while young, but that never took off.
  • Evan Peters plays Tate Langdon - A troubled youth who Ben treats as a patient, he takes a liking to Violet and has a storied past.
  • Denis O'Hare plays Larry Harvey - A former owner of the house the Harmons have bought, and incredibly disfigured. Imprisoned for killing his family, he claims he was let out as he has a terminal illness.
  • Frances Conroy plays Moira - A maid who has serviced the house for all the families who inhabit it, she has a few tricks up her sleeves and is incredibly protective of the families she works for.

jeOBQ.jpg
DHPYv.jpg
jmqql.jpg
ylDBz.jpg
mTAjE.jpg
lHkCi.jpg
sy4En.jpg

GUEST STARS
  • Kate Mara plays Hayden McClaine - A student of Ben's and former lover.
  • Lily Rabe plays Nora Montgomery - Wife to Charles Montgomery, she and her husband built the house in 1922.
  • Matt Ross plays Charles Montgomery - Surgeon to the stars in the 1920s, he was a very successful doctor until his addiction to Ether led to his reputation diminished. He has since turned to other fields of study.
  • Jamie Brewer plays Adelaide Langdon - Constance's daughter who has down syndrome, she has a way of sneaking into the Harmon's house.
  • Christine Estabrook plays Marcy - The Harmon's real estate agent
  • Zachary Quinto plays Chad Warwick - One of the house's previous co-owners with his partner, Teddy, Chad is a control freak and this drives away his boyfriend.
  • Denis O'Hare plays Larry Harvey - A former owner of the house the Harmons have bought, and incredibly disfigured. Imprisoned for killing his family, he claims he was let out as he has a terminal illness.
  • Mena Suvari plays Elizabeth Short (The Black Dahlia) - A budding young actress who visits the Harmon's house during the 1940s.

EPISODES

oTlId.png

jonnyp

The first season started off well and interesting but very quickly turned into a complete farce. I hope they have had a better think about story and plot this time around.

Ashe

Neo Member
I am so excited for this new series and I'm even more excited at the fact that Evan Peters and Zachary Quinto were kept on board.

Also this returns to TV on my birthday. What a nice present, FX.

Nemesis_

You guys are right, there were a few things wrong with the first season got sure. Really hoping that they sort this niggles out with Asylum. That short promo featuring actual footage looks great but of course you don't get the bigger picture. Yet.

oatmeal

Banned
What's the deal with this?

I skipped the first season for no particular reason, but this was up for mini-series Emmys.

It's a mini-series?

Zalasta

It is going to be just as absurd and heavy handed as the first season, but I'm very interested in Fiennes and Cromwell's involvement.

Haha, James Cromwell was born during world war II. These former nazi characters in fiction are getting more and more ridiculous as we get further in time from the forties. Then again, maybe the series is not set in present time.

I'm going to miss Moira's sexy ass :_(

I know that feel bro.

I expect it to be bad, but I want it to be outrageous.

Yep, that's the only way I know of enjoying this show... so far. Maybe S2 will surprise us with a bump in quality, but I'm not holding my breath.

Zoe

Haha, James Cromwell was born during world war II. These former nazi characters in fiction are getting more and more ridiculous as we get further in time from the forties. Then again, maybe the series is not set in present time.

I'm pretty sure it's not.

Oh yeah, from the OP:
The story concerning the Harmon family in Los Angeles will obviously not be continued here, as the story takes place in the 60s.

Nemesis_

When they said Lange was going to play the main character and be a Nun I was a bit worried.

She looks just as evil, I can't wait

Tucah

you speak so well
First season was awful and ridiculous but that's why it was so entertaining. Hoping for more of the same here.

I'm in. I couldn't finish the first season cause around Episode 6 I just gave up. Because it was terrible. But this looks far more intriguing. Lange looks positively devilish.

Awesome OT!

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Is it bad that I started watching this show and kept watching it because it was so ridiculous/bad, but then started actually liking it for what it is? I don't know, maybe I just like bad horror stuff, but it honestly elevated out of "guilty pleasure" status for me, and I feel like I may be the only one. :p There were ridiculous stuff throughout the show to be sure, and there were certain moments where I just said, "you have to be fucking kidding me Ryan Murphy." ..But there was also some genuinely interesting stuff tried in the first season. Maybe it was just trapped around all the ridiculousness. Also, I was simultaneously watching Mad Men at the time, so maybe a show this fast-paced was a nice change from
the sometimes ridiculously boring
Mad Men.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
QcCVP.jpg

My doggie is ready.

Ready for the shlocky, not scary, possibly shitty but almost certainly batshit insane fun that is American Horror Story.

I hope that there's another cute dog that I can stan for this season

It's a mini-series?

It's an anthology series. Each season is self contained.

I only recently heard about this. How is the horror? What would you compare it to?

It's not scary at all. The first season was a mixture of about eleventy million different horror tropes, so it's hard to compare to anything. It's fairly unique.

Nemesis_

Well if the cast is returning, but playing different roles, I guess it's not unordinary to think the dog might make an appearance :p

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Lol, Adam Levine is the poor man's Dylan McDermott. I hope he jacks off in the shower while crying at least once.

Well, we've got Quinto and Fiennes for Gay and Girl-GAF.

On the minus side, exchanging Breckenridge for Sevigny is such a massive downgrade. At least we know there will be some hot lesbionics going on...

This thread got me interested... I'm giving season 1 a shot since I'm out of horror films to watch ad asylums are always a great setting (or is the asylum only the setting in season 2?).

Never heard of this show before today, so... here I go!

I've never seen the show, but presumably there is a character called Moira, who I now know doesn't make it to the second season.

then why are you in this thread if you haven't seen the first season?

anyway, to stay on point. it's not a spoiler. I can only say watch the first season and everything will become very clear as to why it's not a spoiler, but I do have to question your being in here when you haven't watched the first season.

did you not realize that people would be talking about the first season?

ultron87

And stuff about the second season can't be a spoiler for the first season because it is an entirely different story and set of characters.

Meier

I've never seen the show, but presumably there is a character called Moira, who I now know doesn't make it to the second season.

Each season will be entirely self-contained. Some of the actors may return (Jessica Lange, Zachary Quinto, etc.) but they will be in completely different roles and have no relation to their previous role. She was not cast (at least, it hasn't been unveiled if she was) in this season.

I was one of the seemingly few people on GAF who loved it from episode 1 on so I'm pumped!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom