• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-Rockstar games employee launches Kickstarter - What's in a Game? web series

An old co-worker and friend of mine, Colin Snyder, is taking on the massive task of interviewing a whole slew of gaming's luminaries, such as Tim Schafer, Doug Wilson and Anna Anthropy with the intent to show the world how you make games from many different levels and perspective.

What's in a Game?

I think you guys should check this out, with a combination of the video series and the opportunity to take part in the beta of his site Gamifesto, a site meant to get all walks of life together to make games, it's a pretty damn good deal to throw a few bucks at. I threw in 20.

The 2P documentary is a documentary about a specific game's development, but not about the broader sense of making games or the term "play".

Also, as was pointed out, this will be about a lot of different opinions from people making games in many different spaces.

DocSeuss

Anna Anthropy is a luminary?

Er... I'm not sure that making some crappy games and being loud about things is what makes someone a luminary...

fushi

Er... I'm not sure that making some crappy games and being loud about things is what makes someone a luminary...
I'm kinda in the same boat, except that I like her.

I just feel there's an oversaturation of indie developers talking about their love for games, the evolution of gaming culture, their creative process and all that jazz. An endless cycle of nostalgia being reiterated again and again, mostly focusing on warm and fuzzy stuff (social aspects, imaginary worlds, found emotions, gender identities) and a lot less on the seemingly boring technical grit (programming, technical limitations, teamwork then and now), which just isn't sexy enough. Not to mention the geographical restrictions, but that's a money issue.

Same with having interviews from Nolan Bushnell or Tim Schafer. Legends from a bygone era who like to talk a lot. And yes, I do respect all these people.

She is very inspirational, and makes games that come from a very different voice.

If you don't like the games of hers that you have played, that's cool, but I doubt you've played them all, especially ones that were installations, like Duck Duck Poison which was pretty damn great (and, as far as I know, only playable at a Babycastles event).

Also her book is pretty damn good too.

As we've seen with the rise of indie games coming up, it's important to hear what more people are saying, than ever. And with so many new venues to curate games as well as sell them, the more undergound side is gaining more and more traction.

Top Bottom