• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pid |OT| A Delightful Adventure

Vert boil

bannermain3foou2.png

s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
Gamersgate - gog.com - RainDG.com

s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
Announcement Trailer || Core Mechanic's Trailer || Difficulty Trailer || Co-op Trailer || Launch Trailer

Developer: Might and Delight, former GRIN devs.
Publisher: D3 Publisher
Release Date: PC/MAC & XBLA October 31st, PSN 6th Nov (US), 7th Nov (EU)
Formats: PSN, PC/MAC, Xbox LIVE Arcade
Price: 800msp, 10$. Deluxe Edition 20$.

Pid is a platforming adventure game with hand coded physics in which the player is given a rich set of features that he must use and combine to survive in the world. A wide variety of fast paced action, puzzles and precision platforming forces the player to creatively master the tools at hand. You play as a young boy named Kurt that gets stranded on an old remote planet. He must fight off a variety of malicious robots bent on stopping him and befriend unlikely allies to shed light on a huge conspiracy that keeps the planet mesmerized and prevents him from ever reaching home.

gameplaybannersnhofa.png
s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
gameplaysvros.gif
s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
gameplay1qkpp3.gif

The Gems - You have two Gems at your disposal. Once thrown the Gem emits a repulsor beam that you use to traverse and interact with the world. The beams are only active for a limited time. Gems can be used in red areas and on red objects. If an area or object is blue the Gems will have no effect. The beams move yourself, enemies, objects in the world and they can also be used to attract ambient enemies.

Power ups - Power ups can be found in the world or bought using stars that you collect. You can have two power ups active at one time but they can be swapped out at any time.
  • Anti Gravity boots - Weighs you down so you can walk through beams.
  • Bomb - Blows up on contact.
  • Burst beam - Thrusts you upwards three stories.
  • Laser beam - A frickin' laser beam.
  • Life vest - Each vest protects you from one enemy hit.
  • Music box - Escape a tricky situation by paralysing enemies and projectiles .
  • Sling shot - Used to place a beam in a precise position. It can't be used when you are travelling in a beam.
  • Smoke bomb - Hides you from searchlights.
  • Timed bomb - Bomb with a three second delay.
  • Plus many more (I'll update once I've played the game).

Difficulty - Watch the Difficulty video. More frustration fun awaits in Hard mode.

Co-op - 2 Players 1 Gem
each
. Local Co-op only.

Boss fights - The Bastard children of Bionic Commando Rearmed return. Repeating patterns that you must learn, exploit then precisely damage the sods.

Music - The music in the game was produced by Retro Family.

Links,
PSN Trophies - Steam Achievements - XBLA Achievements

s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png

s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
Announcement Trailer || Core Mechanic's Trailer || Difficulty Trailer || Co-op Trailer || Launch Trailer

footerfkr5e.png

Review Scores,
Game Informer - 6.5
Games Beat - 75
GamesRadar - 3.5/5
IGN - 7.8
Official Xbox Magazine - 8.5
PC Gamer - 5/10

Mesoian

It's OUT?!? Why isn't there more fanfare this game looks amazing?

Both PSN and XBLA should be plastering this damn game everywhere. What is with this year and all of XBLA's promotional events sucking ass, and then they don't actually promote the games that are good?

Vert boil

It's OUT?!? Why isn't there more fanfare this game looks amazing?

Both PSN and XBLA should be plastering this damn game everywhere. What is with this year and all of XBLA's promotional events sucking ass, and then they don't actually promote the games that are good?

Tomorrow for PC and XBLA.

wouwie

I've been waiting for this game since ages. I'm curious how the game will be reviewed and if will turn out as good as i hope.

It's not releasing at an ideal moment though with some big games being released at the same time. Could have a considerable influence on sales.

I hope the PSN version is going to be out soon. Sucks that we have to wait.

Vert boil

Launch Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTInO0o9MFc

The Deluxe edition is available on their site now, 20$ - http://www.pidgame.com/index.php?page=buy

Support Might and Delight - buy Pid directly from us!

Let us present you with the ultimate deluxe version of Pid! It will make you happy, rich and beautiful! It includes
+ Windows and Mac standalone version, completely DRM free
+ Retro Family's wonderful soundtrack plus the announce trailer track, the release trailer track and two early demos!
+ Concept art, sketches, illustrations, posters, wallpapers and renders
+ Early game design document
+ Steam code

Available to buy on the 360 now - http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-ca/Product/Pid/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258411289

PC/MAC system specs,

Minimum PC system requirements

Operating system: Windows XP SP2
Processor: Pentium D 2,6 Ghz, or AMD Athlon 64 x2
Memory: 1GB
Hard Disk Space: 2GB
Video: NVIDIA GF 7800GTX, ATI X1300
DirectX: DirectX9

Minimum OS X system requirements

OS: OS X version Leopard 10.5.8, Snow Leopard 10.6.3, or later
Processor: 2.6 GHz single core
Memory: 1 GB
Hard Disk Space: 2GB
Video: OpenGL 2.0 compatible video card with 256 MB shared or dedicated RAM (ATI or NVIDIA)

Joystick/controllers are supported!

DRM-free!!!! And Steam code if you buy it from their website.

Downloading it now, I am excite :D Possibly most unique art style for a 2D platformer.

ibermFUihLvAIa.gif

wouwie

@Tizoc, where did you see the release date for PSN?

Very few reviews are available at the moment and they seems quite mixed. Seems to be rather frustrating at times due to inprecise controls. Anyway, should be a day 1 for me when it is available on PSN.

beril

Just got my download key from the team. I haven't touched the game since I left Might & Delight some 18 months ago so it'll be very interesting to see how it all turned out in the end.

@Tizoc, where did you see the release date for PSN?

Very few reviews are available at the moment and they seems quite mixed. Seems to be rather frustrating at times due to inprecise controls. Anyway, should be a day 1 for me when it is available on PSN.

It's from M&D's twitter.

This is really charming!

Played nearly 2 hours, it's challenging but relaxing at the same time with the music. The controls are precise, the beam mechanic is solid. Some cool simple stealth.

And I'm loving the story. You're a kid on some wrong planet I think, trying to get the bus to the city but have to get through a castle with lots of very home-y environments.

moozoom

Wow, artstyle and general design is beautiful and quite original. I LOVE the interface and type when the character speaks, and the logo is very stylish. Some talented people worked on this. The enemy design is nice too. The scene in the beginning where the boy comes close to the two sitting robots is beautiful, looks like an illustration.

Gotta buy it when I come home, I'll try to buy the Mac version.

Vire

Why would they release this in the heat of the holiday season?

Sandwiching yourself between Assassin's Creed 3 and Halo 4 isn't the best idea...

Why would they release this in the heat of the holiday season?

Sandwiching yourself between Assassin's Creed 3 and Halo 4 isn't the best idea...

I agree. saying that, I am hoping it's good, I think it could work well as a wind down game after playing the big blockbusters.

moozoom

Bought it, but just played for a few minutes... It's really gorgeous and runs well on my (OLD) mac, if you except the noise of the fan. I've got to find an USB joypad, as I don't really like playing action games with a keyboard.

The music is great, reminds me of Tortoise or similar post-rock bands, glad it was included in the bundle, and the bonus is a nice touch (wallpapers, sketches, illustrations and design documents )

I hope I won't get too frustrated by the puzzles, I heard they are sometimes quite hard to solve.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
sounds like the controls are solid, puzzles are tough and music/art are really good... i'm sold! need something to play til codblops 2

Played the Trial version this morning and this is my type of game. Art style and music are simply amazing. Wish there was a 360 Deluxe Edition. If I'm not too tired from Halloween, I'll pick it up tonight. If not, will get it on the weekend.

Got my 360 review code in my email. I'll go ahead and play some tonight and post some impressions. If I get permission I'll try streaming some possible tonight for a bit.

The chef boss in the kitchen is hilarious and a tough boss!
iDrDNzJI9r1Tn.jpg

A lot of the humor reminds me of Psychonauts where you see mundane stuff happening in an otherworldly setting. Like the chef where you have to smash his dishes to cause a reaction out of him like the OCD agents who love cleaning in the Milkman level.

i3QEgp9CiUOYK.jpg

This part was really cool, stealthing past blue robot's laser while destroying the funnel ones to get more bombs to destroy him.

Vert boil

So, is this already on Steam then? I can't find it don't tell me this is another of these ridiculous region lockout things on Steam :(

Nope, it should be out on steam today. No idea what time they'll put it up.

All of the other stores selling it on PC are only doing the DRM free version (that I've seen) apart from the Deluxe edition from the official site.

Adam J.

I played the XBOX Live demo--got frustrated with a puzzle and turned it off. It's pretty and is mechanically sound, but just not very fun (imo), although I could see a lot of puzzle-platformer fans enjoying it. I do respect how this game has zero hand-holding.

great, region lock it is then for me :( fuck you steam

I don't get how games like this or even stuff like Batman AC are NOT on Steam for certain regions, really annoying and i can't understand the reasoning behind it oh well...

Is it region locked on GoG or from their own website, too?

Bought it, but just played for a few minutes... It's really gorgeous and runs well on my (OLD) mac, if you except the noise of the fan. I've got to find an USB joypad, as I don't really like playing action games with a keyboard.

The music is great, reminds me of Tortoise or similar post-rock bands, glad it was included in the bundle, and the bonus is a nice touch (wallpapers, sketches, illustrations and design documents )

I hope I won't get too frustrated by the puzzles, I heard they are sometimes quite hard to solve.

Please update on how it runs on Mac with a joypad. Thinking of getting it on Mac too.

nonnocere

This is a poor choice of names. All I can think of is Pelvic Inflammatory Disease.

I'll let you Google Image that and wait here for your appropriately nauseated response.

I'm sure it is a wonderful game. The Pid, not the PID.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Why are people spoiling the game, and with pictures?

Love the style and music. Hope the gameplay holds up.

Haunted

The art style is gorgeous, but what I've seen from the game felt stiff with off-putting jumping/floating arcs and animations. It's hard to explain, exactly, what's wrong, but I couldn't shake the feeling when I saw footage.

Probably one of those cases where I have to play it for myself to get a better idea of it.

The art style is gorgeous, but what I've seen from the game felt stiff with off-putting jumping/floating arcs and animations. It's hard to explain, exactly, what's wrong, but I couldn't shake the feeling when I saw footage.

Probably one of those cases where I have to play it for myself to get a better idea of it.

I think you have to play it (demo on Xbox Live!), because it's precise to me. Haven't had problems gauging jumps and knowing the limits of Kurt.

Spy

I only played the demo but I really liked this game. A bit surprised at the low scores it's getting.

For people thinking why it's called "Pid":

VGBlogger: Pid is a cute yet curious title. How did you arrive at this name and how does it relate to what’s happening in the game? Does the name come from the main character or planet the game takes place on, or does it derive from something else?

Wendy Young: Well it started more as a concept for us… I guess….it spells the same word when you rotate it clockwise….I think of it just rotating around in space. We have called it loads of names. Pid just stuck. It’s open for interpretation.

tumblr_ma7728qviJ1rcqnnxo1_250.gif

Top Bottom