• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we now ignore Famitsu after the Rab F revelations?

DCharlie

Banned
Let's face it - regardless of Rab's outburst - the seemingly worst offender for shitty ad-funded reviews -does- seem to be Famitsu.

Can we now, as a collective, come together and call the Famitsu reviews out and just stop counting them as any recognised viable indicator of anything other than "how much ad revenue the publisher has contributed" ?

MrDaravon

Let's face it - regardless of Rab's outburst - the seemingly worst offender for shitty ad-funded reviews -does- seem to be Famitsu.

Can we now, as a collective, come together and call the Famitsu reviews out and just stop counting them as any recognised viable indicator of anything other than "how much ad revenue the publisher has contributed" ?

Don't we already do this?

DCharlie

Banned
Let's face it - we ignore it when the score is below 38

What is rab f revelations?

it's a gaiden game between Rabident Evil 5 and Rabident Evil 6, only available on the 3DJessy

shira

What is the state of gaming journalism in Japan?
Do the 4 Famitsu guys do interviews with Pocky and Suntory whiskey?

ezekial45

Banned
So many people going overboard with this. Good lord.

But to answer your question; no, I don't think we can ignore them. Famitsu has got the scoops and reveals. We can't very well ignore those.

I ignore Rab since Robert should never shorten to Rab. That's just silliness, and for this I can't trust him. I just can't.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think many people read Famitsu for the reviews.

Riposte

What the hell is this thread talking about?

In any case, I don't pay much mind to Famitsu outside of news. It doesn't help I can't even read what people don't translate.

That being said, people need to stop counting four people's scores as one score. It is really bewildering.

if we ignored them for more than reviews it would help

but as long as we need them for some scoops of first screen shots or new IP details it is harder to punish them

JDSN

Banned
No, but the idiotic responses to the situation means I can safely ignore Ngai, GT, Kotaku and other sites.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Remember in the days of weeaboo-tinted glasses when they were considered to be the most prestigious reviewers?

"Vagrant Story got a 40/40? Prepare yourselves for a game that puts Chrono Trigger and Ocarina to shame!"

like, there was Rab for the MSX or PC Engine or something, then Rab II for the PSX, then they made Rab F which was a spinoff from Rab 1 but it was sidescrolling or something, then they rereleased it on the Saturn with a new level as Rab F: Sakura Gaiden and released it in America as Rab F: Revelations

Thoraxes

Considering we get numbers and not even full reviews, I would like to continue seeing numbers here, especially now that Andrisang is gone
leaving a huge hole in my heart ;_;

ibo03UFlGWqdf8.jpg
WTF???

I was tired anyway so I think I'll just go lay down.

Riposte

like, there was Rab for the MSX or PC Engine or something, then Rab II for the PSX, then they made Rab F which was a spinoff from Rab 1 but it was sidescrolling or something, then they rereleased it on the Saturn with a new level as Rab F: Sakura Gaiden and released it in America as Rab F: Revelations

Now I understand this thread.

NoRéN

Any chance of Mama Robotnik editorial on the history of Rab?

Nert

No, but the idiotic responses to the situation means I can safely ignore Ngai, GT, Kotaku and other sites.

It feels strange to defend Kotaku, because I don't actually go there for anything, but I'm interested to see what Totilo is going to write about this controversy. If nothing else, I want to read through it before I go back to writing off the site.

Remember in the days of weeaboo-tinted glasses when they were considered to be the most prestigious reviewers?

"Vagrant Story got a 40/40? Prepare yourselves for a game that puts Chrono Trigger and Ocarina to shame!"

I don't think Famitsu should be condemned for scores creeping up because fucking everyone is doing that*, but they should, however, be condemned for having reviews that totally lack any substance whatsoever and are clearly no more than advertisements.

*Unless you want to tell everyone to get fucked. That would be cool, too.

Jawmuncher

We need this to become an actual game series now.

DCharlie

Banned
Sorry, let me try again :

Rab (Robert Florence - yes, you can shorten Robert to Rab) has lifted the lid on shitty practices and , as far as suspect review scores are concerned, Famitsu is the bottom of the dung pile.

As per above prodding, it's not really a big thing as most people on GAF actively ignore the reviews, however, once we stray beyond a number (38+) then things tend to get stupid. RE6 is a 39 for a start - and i really don't need to say much about the big influx of 40s recently.

So the point of this thread is - whilst we're cleaning up gaming journalism and shitty paid for reviews can we actively sweep up Famitsu reviews and stick them in the dung heap too?

The answer is obviously yes, i'm just wondering if anyone cares to contest it.

KarmaCow

The only good thing that comes out of those reviews are the fake(?) 1 line evaluations of game that are supposed to accompany the review.

Top Bottom