• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP/ Appreciation Thread: Zettai Hero Project (PSP)

After the announcement of KamiPara (full name Kamisama to Unmei no Paradox or "The God and Fate Revolution Paradox") on the PS3, I decided to finally download Zettai Hero Project from the PSN Store. I friggin' love this game, probably in my ten favourite games of all time and my favourite Nippon Ichi game that isn't Disgaea. Since I know that (1. KamiPara will most likely (and sadly) be overlooked once it releases, (2. duckroll is a big fan of this game (as am I), and (3. I've always wanted to do an RTTP thread after finally figuring out what RTTP actually meant, I decided to make one for this game. If you haven't heard of this title, just watch the trailer. Just... just watch it.

tumblr_m5c1j1iXi91qctw2w.jpg

OVERVIEW:

Zettai Hero Project ( Zettai Hero Kaizou Keikkaku in Japan) is a Rougelike/Dungeon-RPG for the PSP developed by Nippon Ichi Software. It was released in Japan on March 11, 2010. Under the name Zettai Hero Project: Unlosing Ranger VS. Darkdeath Evilman, NIS America localized the game on October 26 (NA) and November 3 (EU) of the same year. The game is available directly off PSN for $29.99 and is playable on the PlayStation Vita, but you can get a download code from GameStop for only $19.99. The game recieved a limited edition in Japan that resembled a boxed action-figure kit which include the game, but also included a two-disc soundtrack and a full-colour illustration book. NIS America released the game with a special sticker as part of an Exclusive Set for those that ordered from their store, but as of now, the game is no longer available from their store. As a Nippon Ichi game, Zettai Hero Project is a parody of many tokusatsu/super-sentai tropes. Overall reception of the game was very positive, averaging an 81% on both MetaCritic and GameRankings. It also one a few awards such as GDN's Gold Award, PlayStationLifeStyle's Silver Award and RPGamer's Editor's Choice Award for Most Overlooked Game of 2010.

STORY:

In Tokyo, Japan (in some suburbia somewhere), the stage is set for a battle of epic proportions. Notorious supervillain and hater of heroes, Demon General Darkdeath Evilman, has captured Super Baby, an infant who was prophesied to save the world. Darkdeath Evilman, believing that heroes do not exist, then challanges one of the most legendary heroes in the world to face him in a one-on-one battle to rescue the Super Baby and prove once and for all that the true meaning of heroism: the Absolute Victory Unlosing Ranger. The world watches and waits for the Unlosing Ranger to come rescue the Super Baby., but... where is he?

On his way to rescue Super Baby, the Unlosing Ranger, who was running late after over-sleeping due to his mom not waking him up, gets hit by a car. His body spins in the air and lands on the cold concrete, right in front of an unsuspecting young man. That guy? That's you, the main character (default name: Main Character). As he lays dying on the ground, the Unlosing Ranger begs the main character (you) to take his place and fight Darkdeath Evilman in his stead. Just before croaking, the Unlosing Ranger hands the main character (you) his morphing belt, telling him that with it, "any weakling off the streets can become the Unlosing Ranger".

Entrusting the belt to the main character (you), the Unlosing Ranger then dies a heroic and dignified death on the street. A few moments later, Darkdeath Evilman grows impatient waiting for the Unlosing Ranger to arrive. Just as he finally decides to kill Super Baby, the Unlosing Ranger (you) enters the fray. Ready to put his life on the line, the Unlosing Ranger (you) fights Darkdeath Evilman in his attempt to rescue the Super Baby and save the world... but he dies.

Crying out that heroes don't exist, Darkdeath Evilman prepares his final attack to vaporize the Unlosing Ranger (you) once and for all, but before he can do it, Super Baby emits a light that encompasses the two archenemies. A few moments later, the Unlosing Ranger (you) wakes up in a bizzare place in space. Before he can get up, a young girl, named Etranger, is telling him that she's his new instructor and to head back to the dungeons to train. She insists on starting off at LV. 2000, but then a voice yells out for her to stop in her tracks. Another bright light emits revealing Pirohiko Ichimonji, who proclaims himself to be the Unlosing Ranger's guardian spirit. After squabbling with Etranger he finally convinces her that starting of at LV 2000 isn't a good idea and proceed to start with the Tutorial Dungeon. After finally learning the ropes, the Unlosing Ranger, Etranger, and Pirohiko get their first objective. Together they set off to make the Unlosing Ranger (you) stronger than ever before!

GAMEPLAY SET UP #1: YOUR HOME BASE

Zettai Hero Project takes numerous elements from the Disgaea series and translates them into. You first start off in your home base in which you prepare yourself for the trials that await you on Bizarro Earth. Within your base you can either fix/synthesize your weapons from the Blacksmith, buy items from the Shop, or talk to your Prinny Wife in your own personalized house. Whenever you are finished with what you are doing, just talk to Etranger back in the front of the base to move on to your next objective. As you progress throughout the game, you will eventually obtain more facilities such as the Dark Clinic (see GAMEPLAY SETUP #3), COSPATIO (see GAMEPLAY SETUP #5) and the Caravan. You will be able to switch out and swap not only your facilites, but your employees (i.e. you can turn your Prinny Wife into a Cadaver Wife). Make sure to alter and utilize your facilites to fit your needs in order to succeed.

GAMEPLAY SET UP #2: BIZZARO EARTH/DUNGEONS

Bizarro Earth is a bizarro version of planet Earth, located on the opposite side of the Sun. The world of Bizarro Earth is made up of randomly-generated dungeons that the W.H.S uses to train their rookie heroes. These dungeons are home to leagues of monsters and creatures that not only live there, but are also bizarro versions of the inhabitants of Earth. The dungeons are divided into seperate floors, each with an exit hidden in them. Your objective is to defeat any enemy that stands in your way and make it to that exit. You'll eventually reach the true exit within the dungeon, which will then either take you back to the home base or into a boss floor.

Combat within dungeons is a psuedo-turn-based affair; whenever you move, so do the enemies, and once you attack them or enter their field of vision, they'll come after/attack you. As you travel throughout the dungeons you will enounter not only various enemies, but multiple traps that you will need to navigate and avoid. The effects of some traps can be negated with the right type of equipment, while others can not only be used against you, but also to your advantage against your enemies. Within the dungeons there are three main things you'll need to watch: your HP, your EP, and your items/equipment. Your HP tells you how much life you have left, while your EP represents your stamina. EP drains gradually throughout your trek through the dungeons, and once it's all gone, it'll compensate by eating away at your health. Not only does your EP gradually go down but so do your equipment. If used to strenuously or often, your items will wear down and eventually break. Don't worry though; your equipment can be repaired back at the home base.. that is, if you make it.

If you die in the dungeons, you are kicked out of the dungeon and sent back to the home base. You also lose all of your items, both items that are equipped on your person and items that are held in your bag, but the levels you have obtained are then added to your Total Level. When levels are added to your Total Level, they are then divided up unto your base stats and the Unlosing Ranger is reset to LVL 1, but even though he is back where he started, he'll still be stronger than he was originally. As long you don't give up, you'll keep getting stronger and stronger!

GAMEPLAY SETUP #3: HEROIC MODIFICATIONS

Customization is a very big part of Zettai Hero Project. Both in the home base and in the dungeons can you customize your hero. Once you meet the right requirements, you will eventually get the Dark Clinic from your base, in which you will be able to use the Shadowgram. The Shadowgram starts off as a blank outline of your character. As you begin to level up and start getting more and more equipment, that equipment can be turned into chips that can be implanted into the Shadowgram. Once implated, these chips will increase you base stats, much like how the Total Levels increase your base stats once you enter a dungeon or die, only that these won't dissapear if you die. Chips can be changed and swapped out for others so that you can accomodate it to your current needs. A little later on you will get Boosters, which will double your stats but also enhance the amount of items you can carry or can even make it so that you can keep items even if you die.

GAMEPLAY SETUP #4: FIGHTING DARKDEATH EVILMAN

Once you beat the boss of a dungeon, Etranger will "send" you back to Earth in order to fight Darkdeath Evilman once more. As you get stronger and stronger while you train to attain the title of Absolute Victory Unlosing Ranger, your battle with Darkdeath Evilman will change. Each time you fail to defeat him, you'll be booted back to your home base to train in dungeons again. But don't give up, you're the Unlosing Ranger! You'll be able to beat him! ...eventually.

GAMEPLAY SETUP #5: EXTRAS

So have you finally defeated Darkdeath Evilman? Well, good for you, but there's still more stuff for you to do! Just like with every Nippon Ichi game, once the credits finish rolling, the real game begins. The game sports 18 different endings, most of which are obtained depending on when you defeat Darkdeath Evilman.

Early on in the game, you will unlock Mastery Caves. They're similair to the Item World in Disgaea; they're great places to grind if you ever feel underleved. The only difference there is between the Mastery Caves and the normal dungeons is that while each story dungeon has one central theme, the Mastery Caves alternate between each theme of each dungeon you've completed. At the end of each Mastery Cave lie characters that may seem familiar to anyone else that has played a Nippon Ichi game, as well as some very suprising guests.

Mastery Caves are dungeons in which only the fiercest enemies and the rarest items dwell. One type of item is called a Dengeki Card. Once obtained, Dengeki Cards open up special boss dungeons that host a special boss who just-so-happened to be cosplaying as severl manga/anime characters from Dengeki Daioh, such as Celty from Durarara!!, Shana from Shakugan no Shana and Dokuro-chan from Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan. Once the boss is defeated, said boss flees, dropping the costume, which you can actually equip as a base skin! Just who is this chicanerous cosplayer? Just guess.

CONCLUSION

....and that's Zettai Hero Project in a nutshell! ...well, kinda. There are still plenty of things I've yet to do in the game., and are some things that I haven't said here. As I said before, I love this game, and even though it didn't light up any sales charts both in Japan or the West, it makes me happy that Nippon Ichi are interested in giving it's gameplay style another shot with KamiPara.

Not bad for my first RTTP thread, either.

EDIT: Decided to make it an appreciation thread too for people who have already played it, too.

Falxix

I just started playing it last week and it just reminded me of how much I dislike mandatory tutorials. But once I got past those and got to play by myself I really sunk my teeth into it. It's definitely a NIS game though, so I love the battle system and upgrade mechanics as well as some silly humor I can enjoy.

This is the game that made me think maybe I do like roguelikes under the right circumstances after all.

What other roguelikes have you played? I've just started playing Izuna: The Unemployed Ninja and plan on trying Shiren and the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games sometime in the future.

What other roguelikes have you played? I've just started playing Izuna: The Unemployed Ninja and plan on trying Shiren and the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games sometime in the future.

I have Izuna in my backlog too. Shiren and Pokemon are a lot of fun; I definitely recommend them. (Pokemon also has a surprisingly capable main storyline. I realize one doesn't play roguelikes for the story, but it's definitely a nice plus.)

Anyway, about ZHP: I *should* love this game since a SRPG + roguelike fusion, on paper, sounds like the greatest thing in the world. But for some reason, every time I've tried it I've been turned off. I'll have to give it another shot thanks to reading this thread... maybe I just need to take it slow and not let myself be daunted by all the customization options. I think NIS games tend to be a little overwhelming in that department, at least for me.

I'll tell you what I do love, though: this game's version of the Rosenqueen Shop theme. Those bagpipes!

Anyway, about ZHP: I *should* love this game since a SRPG + roguelike fusion, on paper, sounds like the greatest thing in the world. But for some reason, every time I've tried it I've been turned off. I'll have to give it another shot thanks to reading this thread... maybe I just need to take it slow and not let myself be daunted by all the customization options. I think NIS games tend to be a little overwhelming in that department, at least for me.

I'd agree that most Nippon Ichi games tend to throw all their systems out at once for seasoned fans to just go free with them, leaving newer players to their types of games very confused.

I would say that Shadowgram customization doesn't really start to be very helpful once you have a lot of items to fill it along with Boosters to implant, which you should probably have enough of/be able to get around the halfway point. By that time you should get the hang of it.

GhaleonQ

Kazerei

Banned
I should really find time to try this game out. I love Disgaea, it's my favorite SRPG series ever, so I think Z.H.P. would probably be right up my alley. I'd add it to my backlog, but I'm hoping it gets discounted on PSN some day.

Top Bottom