• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CSci/Programming Nerds ... We NEED To Get This Kickstarter Done ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

For an interview with the writer/director, check out http://twit.tv/show/frame-rate/102 (go to 2:57). He goes over the premise.

What's important here for us nerds though is not the back story (which sounds realistic enough), but the tech side of things. It's going to involve authentic computers as well as hacking/programming. All the screens and UI's are real (no CSI/Hackers bullshit OS's), as well as the actual hacking methods.

In TV and movies, realism with regards to computers has long been a non-starter. All the screens are CGI bullshit with ridiculous UI's ... and the hacking has had essentially no basis in reality. This is one of the first movies I've seen that attempts to actually go for authenticity.

It looks to be to hacking what Primer was for time travel physics.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/101402785/the-root-kit

Let's do this.

Raistlin

uuuuh... the Cave myth doesn't end like that.
Yeah regarding the video on the Kickstarter ... that isn't part of the movie.

They just threw together an wacky way to do the pitch using some of the actors/actresses that would actually be in the film.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This is interesting, but unless I'm misinterpreting this description or its going to be far more subversive than I'm expecting, this:

Rogue computer hackers discover a plot to monitor everyone on the Internet. They fight back.
and this
We live in a world so fast paced that it's almost impossible to keep up. We've got a thousand things vying for our attention: Facebook, work, friends, family, bills, the price of milk, wars, the government, the rest of the world, the cold-death of the universe. It's only natural that these things make us worry a little.

A big part of that is technology. In the movie THE ROOT KIT, I talk about the scarier side of technology: computer hackers. Some of these people are so smart, computers meld so easily into their hands, and the power that gives them... it can be very scary at first glance.

But, I'm not making THE ROOT KIT to simply shed light on an otherwise rather secretive and inaccessible subject. Instead, I use technology as a metaphor for the power anyone can have.

It was a real paradigm shift for me when I realized that we could either view the world as a series of horrors lurking in the dark, on the other side of the world, waiting to devour us. Or, we could see that the power of humanity is increasing so quickly that quite a few people imagine a time when there is nothing we dream of that we can't make a reality.

Just think about it: right now, as you're reading this, there are people in Los Angeles, remotely driving a robot... on Mars! If you own a smart phone, you have access to the entirety of human knowledge and wisdom in your pocket, in a box about the size of a deck of cards. We're on the verge of curing illnesses from Cancer to AIDS. It's an amazing time to be alive.

Can technology be scary? Absolutely. Can a big strong guy be scary? Sure. Until you make friends with him, then you've got a sense of safety that you may never have known before. That's what I want to do with THE ROOT KIT.
Seem slightly at odds with each other. I guess it depends entirely on the source of this "plot to monitor everyone on the internet". If its the government, I will be disappointed.

Raistlin

This is interesting, but unless I'm misinterpreting this description or its going to be far more subversive than I'm expecting, this:

and this

Seem slightly at odds with each other. I guess it depends entirely on the source of this "plot to monitor everyone on the internet". If its the government, I will be disappointed.
If you listen to the podcast I linked to ... it gives a better description than I could.

It's a good interview and relatively short.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom