• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

War for the Overworld (Kickstarter - £150k) - Dungeon Keeper x Evil Genius x Overlord

PaulLFC

By Subterranean Games
Kickstarter Link (£150,000 goal)

Get the game for pledges of £10 / €12.50 / $16 and above

First stretch goal (£225,000) - Have Richard Ridings ("The Mentor" from Dungeon Keeper 2) narrate the entire game!

28ed42051a8dc17ea34ed8d7af6ee030_large.png

We've fused together the best components from the RTS and god game genres to create War for the Overworld; here you will find familiar elements from Dungeon Keeper, Overlord, StarCraft and Evil Genius. Your domain lies beneath the surface of this realm, and it is here that you will begin to build your sinful empire. The forces of good in this land will do everything in their power to stop you — read on to learn how you will thwart them.

250592212d395bc666b8f6445343af62_large.png

In War for the Overworld you have the power to create vast dungeons filled with hordes of evil minions who share a common goal: to crush the bones of the goodly heroes that dare to enter your unhallowed halls. You will command mighty armies, create vicious traps and cast dastardly spells to overcome the pitifully gallant armies that defend foolish principles such as "honour" and "righteousness" — it's going to be more fun than taking candy from a baby...

While defeating these dungeon crawlers will be remarkable fun, it will provide only fleeting satisfaction. Fortunately, there is a much larger enemy that stands between you and dominance of the Overworld.

Features

Build Your Dungeon: There is no correct way to build a dungeon; however you will quickly learn what suits your unique style in War for the Overworld. Each level opens up as a blank slate and it is up to you and your scaled hand to carve out the world as you best see fit. Because there is no set “level” upon which you play you will have to choose where to dig, fortify, and build the whatever your depraved mind can imagine — whether it is a vast dungeon filled with cavernous rooms or a series of winding hallways that stretch off far into the unknown depths is up to you.

Real Time Strategy: Do you prefer to crash through your enemy's front door with a swarming army, or is subterfuge your game? All game decisions happen in real time whether you're building your dungeon, training your army, issuing orders to your minions or tapping into more primal powers to cast spells upon your foes.

Spells & Rituals: As an Underlord you have the power to call down terrifying spells to wreak havoc and misery upon your foes. Of course there are spells that augment your already formidable creatures in battle. In addition to spells, some of your minions have begun to dabble in the occult and have found many sinful rituals that will influence the entire battlefield. These rituals require many ingredients, and no doubt sacrifice will be involved to make the nastier ones possible.

Minions: Entice wicked and devious creatures to your dungeon through Gateways. Keep them in your service by fulfilling their basest desires and they shall eagerly fight for you. Your minions will autonomously work in the rooms of your dungeon that are best suited to their skills — for a price. Some minions require little more than food, but those intelligent enough to perform skilled labour in your dungeon will require pay — make sure to keep your coffers full and you'll have an army in no time!

Rooms: With dozens of unique rooms to choose from you can create an underground metropolis for your fearful denizens. Each room has a distinct purpose that will draw new minions to your dungeon and provide you with additional utilities.

Defenses: Fortify your domain by placing various doors throughout the dank halls of your dungeon to control enemy movement, or catch unsuspecting trespassers with your murderously designed traps. If you're the kind of player who likes to hide behind static defenses then this vein of evil is right up your well-defended alley.

Shrines: Within the depths of this realm exist ancient shrines of immense power that are but a murmur of the ancient forces that used to walk this realm. These powerful bastions of magic will grant boons to your creatures and spells, or weaken those of your enemies. Make sure to keep these shrines defended for their arcane powers only remain yours as long as you control them.

Schools Of Evil: Research and unlock spells, rooms, and traps in each level in a way that best complements your play style. In the Archives your minions will research the three veins of evil (Sloth, Greed, and Wrath) to grant you the rooms, traps, and spells that you want to play with.

Game Modes

Campaign: The initial campaign will include the first chapter of the single-player experience where you face off against the righteous Emperor Stockington and the vast armies of his Sterling Empire. His mighty generals have been called to a war council in the capital of Socksford in preparation for war... how delightfully charming. Further chapters of the campaign and plans for additional story features will be revealed soon!

Multiplayer: In Multiplayer you will finally prove once and for all who is the best of the worst amongst you. With dozens of customizable settings, you and as many of your friends as you want can battle in unranked free-for-all battle and team matches.

Sandbox: With the power of the developers in your hands you have the potential to realize your fiendish desires. In this mode almost anything is possible. Whether you want to craft labyrinths with increasingly difficult hazards for sport (bookie not included), or build a massive dungeon for your creatures to roam is up to you as you command the very rocks of the Underworld in Sandbox mode.

PaulLFC

I'll check out the demo showcase when I get home. More kickstarter projects need that.
Just tried it. Seems to be just to show off the environment - from what I can tell at the moment you can only walk round and jump. Good that they've showed something though, gives them a base to build from.

clockpunk

I've already backed for the Kickstarter bonus variant skin, but if the game is as moddable as the page suggests - and I can get the sounds from the original DK games, and modify the garish look of the floor tiles, and dulled treasure piles (to closely resemble that of DK), I will go up to the £60 level.

I have long said I hope to see DK3 - and as this is the closest we are likely to see, I am very excited to see how it will develop.

Love the idea of three strands of evil to explore (sloth, greed, and wrath) and hope that they will have a significant impact upon how play progresses.

Very promising, indeed. Good luck to the team!

tborsje

These guys have been working on this project off and on for ages on an old dungeon keeper forum I used to read. I'm glad that they're getting serious now, I gladly pledged to this kick starter.

clockpunk

A new video was uploaded yesterday detailing how extensive the modding tools will be. That convinced me to up my pledge to £60! My word, how much I want this game! :p

Here's hoping enough can be raised to hire the DK narrator, and meet at least three stretch goals (which for me would be: extended campaign, silly mini-game implementation, and console-friendly UI).

clockpunk

I must admit, I am rather surprised.. given how many people on GAF seem to love the DK series, and were previosuly clamouring for a sequel in various threads over the years, how little response this thread has yet seen...

Kouriozan

Tried the demo and the project looks very good, finally some Dungeon Keeper love!
Once I get my money I'll back this :)
"It's scandalous that nobody has yet managed to create a game that captures the spirit of the original Dungeon Keeper. Scandalous! I have high hopes that War for the Overworld will correct this, and give fans something that will make them happy. Can I have my free copy now?"
– Simon Carter, project lead on Dungeon Keeper and freebie whore
Exactly!

epmode

I tried the prototype and my guy won't stop moving backwards. Even after downloading the standalone EXE. Oh well.

edit: Fixed it by unmapping the arrow keys from movement.

It looks good. I'll probably back it in the end.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I must admit, I am rather surprised.. given how many people on GAF seem to love the DK series, and were previosuly clamouring for a sequel in various threads over the years, how little response this thread has yet seen...
Once burned, twice shy.

Sentenza

Can't say I'm too fond of the art style so far, and to be bluntly honest if I want to play a "ugly" DK-Evil Genius sort of game, the original ones are fine enough.

Which is an indirect way to say: "Yes, if you want to remake a classic updated to today's standards then graphics *do* matter".

Probably gonna pass on this. I've spent way too much money on KS's this year, and I already donated towards maia. Also, I'm gonna hold off until more of those titles I pledged towards actually start coming out, because right now, out of all the projects, FTL is the only one that's been released, and I'm pretty sure at least 1 title I donated on KS looks like vapourware. The only exception of course, if it's something that needs to be a reality (Homeworld 3, yes I'm looking at you THQ).

clockpunk

Over one-third of the way there... and the dev team held an extensive reddit AMA session last night.

So excited, not only have I restarted DK 2, but also relearned the rules for the heavily influenced board game, Dungeon Lords.

clockpunk

Just passed 75k - the halfway mark! With a new demo out yesterday, and room style selections being put to the vote by fans...

Oh, I do hope this will receive even a quarter of the critical attention Godus that has had lately... much more deserving a project!

FoxSpirit

Holy hell!!!
Why doesn't this have more exposure??
Things are looking well but still, this should have muc more backing, don't you agree?

clockpunk

I honestly believed that this KS would sail past the minimum amount in a couple of weeks, and we'd end up hitting almost double by the end - given how much love the DK series has from gamers... :-/ Oh well, it looks set to hit the bid, at least!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I honestly believed that this KS would sail past the minimum amount in a couple of weeks, and we'd end up hitting almost double by the end - given how much love the DK series has from gamers... :-/ Oh well, it looks set to hit the bid, at least!

KS fatigue.

I backed like 6 projects and none of them is ready. So I'll wait.

holiday season was poor timing. people's money and attention are divided elsewhere

Perkel

Banned

It's made by group of modders not proper dev studio. There is a lot love in this project but people don't trust people who are not known. They simply do not have yet portfolio to show that they have means and experience to do that. Sure concept is good as their demo but they do not created yet fully any game.

150k is modest and expected with their experience and portfolio.

clockpunk

I can see all of your points.., but still - Dungeon Keeper should trump all! :p

Almost there, at least - only 2k to go, and the dev team released an update outlining one of their new innovations: veins of evil (tech focus trees, basically) last night.

clockpunk

I truly dislike posting again, but War for the Overworld is well and truly funded now. Just thought the title might be changed to reflect that... possibly encourage others on board now that it is a sure thing?

Even the 5k backers are confirmed (indirectly) to not be trolls.

Some more recent details include the ability to rebuild walls/dirt - correcting something else I always thought missing from DK... the devil's in the details/small touches, after all.

*glee* :D

dmr87

Hey folks,

As we sadly approach the last hour of our Kickstarter campaign, we would like to invite to a live stream event on our TwitchTV channel during the last hour of the campaign. Was a question missed during the AMA last night? Now is your time to ask!

We are also only £10,000 away (including the fund raised through PayPal) from having Richard Ridings as the narrator! And with the goal within reach, we would like to add some rewards to a few tiers related to Richard:

Tiers 10, 11, and 12 (£1,250/£2,500/£5,000) will be able to join us in person on one of the voice sessions with Richard, along with a personalised message recording (Travel & Accommodation not included)
Tier 9 (Digital and Physical) (£400/£500) will be able to join into a Skype call while the voice session is being streamed

Until next time Underlord,

-WFTO Team

Stream is live - http://www.twitch.tv/wftogame

Smash88

Banned
I just found out about this now! Holy CRAP! I have never been so excited!

I still hate EA for destroying Bullfrog and the Dungeon Keeper franchise, but I will take this and I will love it!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I just saw this game pop up on my Steam page. Hadn't heard about it until now, but I am so interested in a Dungeon Keeper clone done well! I can't believe someone hasn't done the game justice to this very day with a spiritual sequel. Or even a blatant ripoff like this is, but you know what? It's been so long that I'm okay with a blatant ripoff.

And they even have Richard Ridings doing the voice! So very much a blatant ripoff.

And so going to get my money when they release if they do it well. I'll be buying day freakin one as long as they don't shit the bed and mess it up!

Top Bottom