• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Next Portable Zelda (3DS) Should be a Level/World-Structured Platformer

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I posted this in the Paper Mario Iwata Asks thread, but I think it'd work as its own topic.

Okay, so here's my idea...Mario Galaxy II meets the Adventure of Link. Basically. A Zelda game utilizing the Level/World structure of classic platformers. I wouldn't like to see the WHOLE series become like this, just the next portable for the 3DS which can experiment.

Basically, the Zelda game would completely do away with the over-world...no Hyrule Field and no Great Sea. Instead, you'd simply move Link around a World Map designed to invoke the original Legend of Zelda graphically, and choose a Level to enter. That's it. I was thinking that perhaps there could be a little travel mini-game in between each World that you would only have to do once to break things up, but there wouldn't be the annoying, required-every-time travel mini-games in the past 2 hand-held titles. My idea was a Star Fox-type Plane segment, to complete the land/sea/air trilogy.

There would be 3-types of Levels, though.

*Action Levels - The main part of the game, Action Levels would be what each World mainly consists of. Taking about 5-10 minutes to complete, each Action Level would have its own theme...a central mechanic, or requiring the use of a specific item in multiple ways. They'd be mainly linear, the main goal being to get to the end, but with secret routes as well leading to Heart Pieces and "secret Exits" like in Super Mario World. Action Levels would have fixed camera angles, with some being a "straight-ahead view", while others would be an "over-head view", think like how Mario 3D Land did it. Action Levels would constantly challenge players with new "puzzles" in each Level, as well as giving items multiple uses beyond simply being used for their original Dungeon and then fading into obscurity. Action Levels would reset when you leave, and you could re-do them again and try for better times (I was thinking a Time Trial mode with StreetPass sharing would be a neat idea) using new items.

*Town Levels - The game wouldn't be completely void of exploration. I was thinking there'd be a large, Clock Town-like Hub Town that you could return to between levels, exploring and completing side-quests for more Heart Pieces. And since my idea was that the game would focus on air-travel, you'd also could free-fly around on your plane like in PilotWings. There would also be mini-Towns in each World, with one or two sidequests as well as giving you hints to find secret areas and such in the World and giving you advice for tackling the Dungeon.

*Dungeon Levels - The "meat of the game", each World would end with a Dungeon, which would be a long Level that would take up to an hour to possibly complete as opposed to the bite-size Action Levels. Dungeons would usually have a top-down camera angle like in classic Zelda, and focus on puzzles and combat, as opposed to the Action Levels which are faster and platforming-involved. They'd have a Map, Compass, multiple rooms, Mini-Boss, Boss and everything you'd expect from a Zelda Dungeon. Unlike Action Levels, Dungeons don't reset when you leave, and thus you can take a break and save your progress if you get stuck, or stock up on healing items. After beating a Dungeon, you could also return and "reset it" to partake in a Speed Run in one sitting. Your Equipment would be reset to what you'd have when originally attempting the Dungeon, however.

I'm thinking Eight Worlds, with 1 Dungeon, 1 Town, and 9 Action Levels, 1 of them being hidden. And a Hidden Ninth World like in Super Mario World appearing after the main story is beaten, consisting of super-hard Action Levels and a final, Puzzle-Gauntlet Dungeon.

In terms of Gameplay, Link would be more agile than ever before...in addition to having an actual jump button like in Zelda II, Link could also do a quick roll along the ground, and do a mid-air sword spin in order to gain height.

Combat would be streamlined, as Link could only do a basic horizontal slash, a sword-spin, or block/strafe with his shield. The game wouldn't be easy, though, as Levels, especially the Dungeon Levels, would get difficult as enemies would shoot multiple projectiles at Link like in Link to the Past, with less enemies focused on in-your-face sword-fighting like in most Modern Zeldas. You'd have Hearts, but they wouldn't recover between Levels (instead requiring you to sometimes visit the main town and purchase a potion) and finding Hearts in the grass/pots would be rarer than before. Falling off a platform would take a full heart, and place you back on the platform, or at the beginning of the platform segment for parts where platforms disappear, so the platforming wouldn't be as fast-paced as Mario games where falling into a pit kills you.

Equipment would consist of a bunch of new gear you'd find typically in Dungeons, but would use them throughout the game. One idea I had was a Hookshot where you'd attach to a central plank, and could then move towards it or retract from it, or rotate around the axis like the tongue mechanics in the N64 Chameleon's Twist. One level might have you hooked to a moving platform, and having to quickly adjust Link forwards, back, and around to dodge obstacles that come his way.

Also, due to the Level structure, there are no "stock" items anymore beyond Link having Four Bottles for Fairies/Potions. His Bow/Bombs are now unlimited use, as it wouldn't be fun to be playing an Action Levels and having to give up because you run out of gear. But you'd be limited one Arrow/Bomb out at a time, so you can't shoot an endless stream of arrows to instantly kill all foes. Equipment in Zelda, especially the newer ones, has never really mattered...usually you can just go to another room to re-spawn pots and such...so why not get rid of it.

Finally, although I said a "Level/World" structure, the Story would NOT be excised. Instead, I was thinking there'd be an overarching plot. Link goes in search of his Famous Explorer mother, who is Zelda this time, after hearing the lullaby she used to sing to him, Zelda's Lullaby (get it), coming from floating Islands in the sky and ends up meeting an alien buddy who grants him the ability to jump through gravitational powers was one basic plot I thought of. And the game's art-style would be influenced by Castle in the Sky and other Miyazaki films. Each World (one of the Sky Islands) would also have a mini-plot that would play out too, so think of Paper Mario TTYD and its Chapter Structure.

I would be up for anything but remember, this is the Zelda fanbase you're dealing with. You'll get your shit ripped apart on anything and everything.

Watch Da Birdie

I would be up for anything but remember, this is the Zelda fanbase you're dealing with. You'll get your shit ripped apart on anything and everything.

Really?

I remember, when Skyward Sword was first revealed, specifically with Link landing down in Eldin Volcano, people expressed interest in a Zelda that was like Mario Galaxy, consisting of multiple "obstacle-courses" as opposed to the structure of walk around an overworld, find a dungeon, use item on boss, go to next dungeon.

A Zelda where you're constantly challenged by new obstacles is a place I'd like to see the series move to be honest.

Zelda. Platformer.

The only two words that I needed to read to know that you are wrong.

Link's Awakening had platforming in it, and it ROCKED. Best thing ever. So did all the Oracle Games and Minish Cap.

Just let Nintendo release another copy paste LttP game and have the whole Zelda cycle repeat itself.

Bad things will happen in the universe otherwise.

PS - I like the game idea, just not Zelda.

jmls1121

Banned
I would literally be more excited if EAD turned Link into a bald space marine tranvestite strutting a Bayonetta ass up and down Hyrule Field.

hiryu64

I'll go against the grain here and say that I would welcome a return to the Zelda 2 formula. Perhaps Retro or somebody could make a Metroidvania-style Zelda 2 hybrid thing. Honestly anything would be a welcome change. I
liked
the DS Zeldas for being different and would embrace something radical like this
provided it was good

Reminds me of the genius that wanted a more mature Zelda where she got raped/killed or something emo like that. Too many people, not enough abortions.

kadotsu

Banned
I wonder if Zelda or Final Fantasy is the most armchair developed series.

Also: Dark Souls, like the Nes games, dark, Steampunk, Steampunk, like ALTTP, sexism, 2D Zelda, give me Wind Waker graphics, no tutorial.

Aeana

Which would Aeana prefer if given the choice between the 2?

Truth be told, I don't think this idea sounds that terrible at all. I'm a big fan of side-scrolling action RPGs, and it's the reason why I enjoyed Super Paper Mario as much as I did. Seeing Nintendo take another stab at the Adventure of Link format would be interesting to see.

Nilaul

I want the next Zelda 3DS game to be a twin release, like the oracle games.
I want it to have the same way of exploring the world, and everything.

Watch Da Birdie

Reminds me of the genius that wanted a more mature Zelda where she got raped/killed or something emo like that. Too many people, not enough abortions.

Well, in terms of "feel", I'd want the game to have a more Link's Awakening feel to it.

My idea for a partner, for example, was a Yakuza-talking alien who travels with Link through colorful sky worlds to find his lost mother.

On a handheld? I'm open to experimenting with that. I'd want console games to be big 3D adventures, but I like the idea of a new take on Zelda II for the 3DS.

1-D_FTW

Truth be told, I don't think this idea sounds that terrible at all. I'm a big fan of side-scrolling action RPGs, and it's the reason why I enjoyed Super Paper Mario as much as I did. Seeing Nintendo take another stab at the Adventure of Link format would be interesting to see.

I don't think it sounds bad either. And considering the direction of late with the handheld Zeldas, isn't this a better direction?

Of course, the dream would be a return to the original structure. But I'm not sure that's practical. Too many people would bitch about the difficulty. And then whine that it was too short when they played the whole thing using a strategy guide.

Why not just make this a new IP? If you're gonna change the core gameplay that much, it wouldn't make a difference if you're playing as Link, Kirby, or some new guy.

EddCoates

Neo Member
After playing the Adventure Time game, I can definitely see a return to the Adventure of Link formula as being a good thing... though the idea of making it level-structured sounds horrible to me. It needs the world map!

tinders

The idea isn't without fault - but overall, I REALLY like the idea.

For the record, I also think the ideas explored in Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks (central dungeons, re-traversing dungeons etc) are well worth re-visiting. While their execution was quite poor, the ideas are solid - just like yours OP.

DjRoomba

Banned
Why is everyone always trying to mix up the Zelda formula? Twilight Princess was the one stale-as-shit misstep in a series that pretty dramatically changes from one entry to another. Whatever theyre doing works. Stop writing crazy fanfic bout what you think the series needs (not just you Op, everyone)

Dr.Hadji

I was thinking of something that combined the Spot pass feature of the 3DS and the Bombers Book from Majora's Mask to create a personal time-cycle specific to each player's timed proximity to other 3DSs. From there, you can do almost anything you wanted.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
No. Make it a new IP. Don't turn Zelda into this.

terrisus

Basically, the Zelda game would completely do away with the over-world...no Hyrule Field and no Great Sea. Instead, you'd simply move Link around a World Map [...] and choose a Level to enter. That's it.

Yeah... No.

I mean, I'm not opposed to different takes on Zelda. I love Zelda 2, for example.
But, that alone, even without any of the other ideas and suggestions, would kill basically all of my interest in it. I love exploring the world in Zelda games.

Watch Da Birdie

Blasty said:
The next Zelda shouldn't have any hand holding. It put me to sleep in TP, literally.
My idea also factored that in.

The little Alien Buddy wouldn't actually talk to you AT ALL within Levels unless you chose to receive a hint from him by pressing Select. Instead, he'd simply hover slightly towards the direction you should be going in Action Stages, and in Action and Dungeon stages, he'd sometimes circle around "important" objects but wouldn't tell you exactly what to do with them. So, no "hand-holding" exactly, just a general nudge...and I was thinking he'd only do this if you spent too much time in one place and it was obvious the player needed a nudge in the right direction. Kind of like how Navi would move towards objects in Ocarina, and Link would look at them in Wind Waker, non-verbal advice.

gururoji said:
I'd be open to this, but the safer bet is "make this, but don't make it a Zelda game." Some cool ideas though OP!
Since it's already a faster-paced Zelda-type game, I wouldn't mind them doing an idea like this for the inevitable Takamaru game we'll probably get in the future.

tinders said:
For the record, I also think the ideas explored in Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks (central dungeons, re-traversing dungeons etc) are well worth re-visiting.
I enjoyed those games as well...the worst part of them was over-world progression, but the other ideas were good, but not executed well. In fact I envision this game serving as the sequel to them...it would complete the land, sea, and air theme, and it would take place a few decades after Spirit Tracks, where planes have come into existence.

aidan said:
Have you played Paper Mario: Sticker Star?
Yes, I have. In fact, it was Sticker Star, and the Iwata Ask thread, which gave me this idea. Sticker Star even had "Heart Containers"! But mainly I'm envisioning 3D Land's gameplay, but with Galaxy's level design, with this idea. As for Zelda, Minish Cap and Skyward Sword are the main influences, since Minish Cap had an "action" feel to it and Skyward Sword had the "linear obstacle course leading to complex Dungeon" feel.

terrisus said:
But, that alone, even without any of the other ideas and suggestions, would kill basically all of my interest in it. I love exploring the world in Zelda games.
Oh, there would still be exploration...the game would have a few towns to explore, and the Central Hub would be a Clock Town-sized place, even larger, with lots of side-quests to partake in. You'd even get to take Link's plane for a spin and free-fly around the island. The giant field/ocean that you travel across to get from point A to B would be the only exorcised part, and it would still exist...just chopped up into individual levels with more things going on.

Top Bottom