• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead: Assault announced/released on iOS

Oppo

Hmm. Just seems like another zombie shooter, but with a license.

I think I'll stick with the very popular and buzzworthy Walking Dead series that is already on the iPad for now. You know, the Telltale one.

bounchfx

so has anyone actually played it yet? kotaku gave it a glowing article, but I'm interested in what people here think that have actually tried it

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
so has anyone actually played it yet? kotaku gave it a glowing article, but I'm interested in what people here think that have actually tried it

I played the first two chapters.

It looks and runs nice on my 4S, and control and interface-wise everything seems to function as it should. Attacks are automated and there doesn't seem to be a wide variety of actions available to the player, so the gameplay does feel a little simplistic and limited (surprise, surprise). You basically just tap to move, stop and shoot zombies as they enter your range of attack, and collect ammo and supplies (which are used for upgrades, and also sold as IAP's) along the way. It seems like a small stretch to classify it as a strategy game, since tactical options are quite limited so far, but I expect things will expand a bit as I progress. Again, I'm only two chapters in, I haven't seen everything the game has to offer yet. I'll keep playing more since TA/Kotaku impressions suggest it's worthwhile.

sangreal

I played the first two levels and it was alright. My big gripes are paying for a game and then being hit up for IAP for upgrades (you can earn them without paying though) and all the combat is automated which leads to annoying side effects like being unable to avoid taking damage in melee combat.

Also, how do you take so much damage from a zombie without turning

Oh, and since it is based on the comics it sucks that I can't play past the first episode without spoiling the TV series

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Damn I think I jumped the shark on this I got confused and bought this on praise for the actual adventure based game. We'll see since it's downloading now.

I wonder if you're a dev on this, maybe just a few years out of college. You're in awe of what Telltale was able to do for videogames as a medium with their version of Walking Dead, and you're excited that your company was able to gain the license as well.

Then your producer comes in and barks "Dead Nation clone!" (or cites a terrible mobile game with similar mechanics) and that is the moment you instantly become grizzled to the realities of the games industry.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I wonder if you're a dev on this, maybe just a few years out of college. You're in awe of what Telltale was able to do for videogames as a medium with their version of Walking Dead, and you're excited that your company was able to gain the license as well.

Then your producer comes in and barks "Dead Nation clone!" (or cites a terrible mobile game with similar mechanics) and that is the moment you instantly become grizzled to the realities of the games industry.

It's really not that much like Dead Nation, though. Dead Nation is a fast paced twinstick shooter. Assault is a more strategically paced, squad based combat/survival game with "point and tap" movement and automated combat. They share a zombie theme and the top down perspective, but that's it.

It's really not that much like Dead Nation, though. Dead Nation is a fast paced twinstick shooter. Assault is a more strategically paced, squad based combat/survival game with "point and tap" movement and automated combat. They share a zombie theme and the top down perspective, but that's it.
Does it seem thematically appropriate to the show/comic though?

Granted in season three, they're mowing down Walkers left and right and not caring about whether or not the noise attracts more, but this feels like someone saw a spreadsheet and said "zombies + guns = sales".

I wouldn't necessarily blame them, but that seems a pretty disappointing direction to use with the license, especially in light of Telltale's verion.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Does it seem thematically appropriate to the show/comic though?

Granted in season three, they're mowing down Walkers left and right and not caring about whether or not the noise attracts more, but this feels like someone saw a spreadsheet and said "zombies + guns = sales".

I wouldn't necessarily blame them, but that seems a pretty disappointing direction to use with the license, especially in light of Telltale's verion.

Telltale did a great job that satisfies one area of the player's needs (story and character).

Why not create something that satisfies another set of player needs (action / strategy under stress)?

I'm glad it uses actual comic book art. it makes it easier for me to seperate badass comic Andrea from the unlikeable TV series version of her.

Anyway, I just bought this. I probably won't play it for freaking ages though, by which point I'm sure I could get it cheaper/free. I always do that with iPhone games. But I love Walking Dead, and I'm happy to support anything WD-related that's good.

Fusebox

Banned
Grabbing it now, I love the comics but hate the TV series so if its based on the comics I'm probably gonna love this.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Been playing it a bit this weekend, it's not too bad. Squad based real time action means that you have to think about different character strengths and weaknesses when you go into scenarios. Also you get bonus supplies to spend upgrading your stuff by beating certain challenges on maps like not using special moves or time trials.

Things that bring it down:

-Imprecise movement: this is frustrating when you are trying to get your squad to move using the waypoint system, as a group you hold to get everyone to move or tap for just your currently selected member. The bad thing is that sometimes out of nowhere the placement goes weird so 1 person gets placed way ahead of the others or a survivor gets placed ahead of some debris or cover so they end up running off into the middle of danger for no apparent reason.

-Stupid AI: this is especially true when you are trying to use melee weapons to not attract hordes, the squad will sometimes not stick together and so one member that is sitting in the back does absolutely nothing while your front guys get trashed. There is no intelligence or smart-group ergonomics to the movement so if the way your waypoints get set up happen to put someone in the back and they have a melee weapon, well unless you manually move them forward they aren't going to do jack shit.

Overall it's pretty decent fun so far and is definitely work 2 bucks if you are a Walking Dead fan or are just curious about the game in general. My strategy is usually to use Rick with his long range to pull hordes and the shotgun dude for extra damage. Everyone else on melee detail for when I need to be quiet. I use glen to run in and get supplies as he quick.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I would definitely say this is the action counterpart to Telltale's story-drive game. There isn't story in Assault at all beyond the scenarios it puts you in which just follows the comics. No dialogue or anything like that either, you unlock new characters spontaneously as you complete levels.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Will I cry at the end of this one?
If you didn't get it on sale price and you don't like the gameplay, maybe.

I'm halfway through and apparently there are already two more planned content packs of 10 levels each but I don't think I will be getting them. It's fun but I don't care for it enough to buy more.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Telltale did a great job that satisfies one area of the player's needs (story and character).

Why not create something that satisfies another set of player needs (action / strategy under stress)?

Because action isn't the point of Walking Dead? And if you want an action game where you kill zombies? Guess what. I can think of plenty.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Because action isn't the point of Walking Dead? And if you want an action game where you kill zombies? Guess what. I can think of plenty.
I think you're being a bit unnecessarily negative. I believe there are people out there that would like to play an iOS Walking Dead game that has more action than TellTale's adventure. This is the game for them to try.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Tv Show (at least the latest season) > Telltale Game > Comic
Haven't seen the latest season so I can't comment on that, but the comic is still superior to the Talltale games. Telltale games didn't create a storyline as memorable as the Prison saga in the comic.

Radogol

All the combat is automated which leads to annoying side effects like being unable to avoid taking damage in melee combat.

You can avoid damage, you just need to keep moving. I always send Rick or Shane to deal with stray walkers and fight them individually.

Anyway, the game's really, really good, especially for the price. It reminds me of SWAT 2. Now what would make it really legendary is perma-death for characters and a bit more of the story, preferably one that is changing depending on who lives or dies.

Top Bottom