• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNK's The Last Blade series is 15 years old

Tizoc

SNK's Last Blade series may not have had as many games as SamSho, but it remains one of their most solid fighting game titles. It is also among the first fighting game series that Daisuke Ishiwatari worked on, who also worked on Garou: MotW.

Gameplay-wise LB was rather combo friendly compared to other SNK fighters at the time, thanks in part to it's Speed mode which allowed Chain combos and allowed for Custom Combos. It is also, perhaps the 1st SNK game to utilize super canceling special moves into supers, which can be done in Power mode. ...and then there's EX mode which combines both at the cost of having lower defense. These 3 modes would be balanced out well in LB2 (In LB1 Speed mode's CC was similar to SF Alpha 2's)

Last Blade 2, however, is considered the best game of the 2 as it is featued in various FG tournies in Japan, such as the Eclipse of SNK event. ...and I personally agree as I find LB2 more fun to play as well than 1, it also feels more balanced in terms of gameplay, if not characters.

However, what really makes the LB series stand out is it's setting and music. The events of the game take place during a pivotal point in Japan's history, namely the end of the Tokugawa Shogunate and it's opening of borders to foreign nations and trade.
Whether this has a major role in the game's story is...hard to tell mainly due to SNK's mediocre translation efforts.

Non the less, the stages in the game are beautiful and reflective of the events of that era, which brings me to the graphics.

There's no doubt that this game has the best animation in SNK's FG library from the 90s, the animation and colors greatly surpass SamSho, KoF and Real Bout at the time.

...and the music, my god the music, if you've never heard the music of this game before you're missing out A LOT, especially LB2's music. The Arrange soundtrack of LB2 is epic:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL251A4223DA323D57

I personally like the character designs of each character, and it should be noted that Rurouni Kenshin (aka Samurai X) did have an influence on some of the cast-
Moriya has red hair similar to Kenshin, and is wandering swordsman
Mukuro in LB2 is based off Shishioh from
Washizuka is an older Saito
Shizumaru from SamSho 3 resembles Kenshin as well
Kagami resembles Aoshi
(You now suddenly want to go back and rewatch R. Kenshin

Also Awakend Kaede is Luke Skywalker, don't believe me?
I2fFE.gif

My fav. characters are Setsuna and Kagami, gameplay-wise. Funny thing about Setsuna, I discovered LB2 at my regular arcade during the time I had a PSX and played Megaman X4 and FF7, and in those games my fav. characters were Zero and Sephiroth (notice a pattern here? Hey it was when I a young'un gimme a break =P)

While Shinkiro did do the artwork for the 1st game, I feel that Senno Aki, aka TONKO, is THE Last Blade series artist (he did the art for LB2), besides Shinkiro did a lot of SNK fighters anyway that it's hard to think of any other artist who did official art for SNK during the 90s. Oh and Aki also did artwork for Garou MotW:
Unquote to see them in better res said:

Let me know if I linked one too many un-allowed images >_>;

As fare as availability is conerened-
Last Blade 1 is available on JPN PSN
Last Blade 2 got released on the Dreamcast as Last Blade X with some additional stuff like anime cutscenes and Musashi from LB1 being playable
There was also an LB game for the NeoGeo Pocket
EDIT: LB1 and 2 are available on the Wii Virtual Console, thanks for the heads up gang.

zsidane

I feel old!!
I still remember finding out about the game in a magazine (lol), the announcement of the death of 2D Samurai shodown, the release of the HyperNeoGeo64...

Great games, I still have my copy for the DC. Haven't touched in 2 years at least.

Great thread by the way :)

Xav

Last Blade II is my 2nd favourite SNK game after Garou Mark of the Wolves, in fact it might actually be better. I remember my friend recommended I check it out if I like SoulCalibur and yeah it's basically like a 2D version of that game. Last Blade II and Garou, far and away the best two fighters SNK ever made.

Tizoc

I spy a Garou pic in the OP!

There's 2 actually and I posted them just to show more TONKO goodness~

Thank you Last Blade for giving birth to my girlfriend.

tumblr_m27gjy1NNt1rstxq9o1_500.jpg

When CvSNK 2 got released, I actually played her to get ready for that game haha.
You are aware about how her winquotes change if you keep defeating opponents in arcade mode with a super move/decapitation right?

Beautiful art in the OP. Great games too. I actually just picked up LB 2 for the Wii/Wii-U a few days ago. Still looks as good as when it came out. These kinds of visuals are timeless.

dock

Love for 'The Last Blade: Beyond the Destiny' on the NGPC.
I loved the sombre tone of this game, even on the handheld game.

I once thought that Hyo Amano might be a reference back to Dan Hibiki from Street Fighter because of his pink robes, his hair, and his connection to Hibiki. However, I since then think he's a reference to one of the characters from Seven Samurai. I forget the character name, but one has a very similar manner and dress.

BadWolf

Beautiful games and the soundtrack fits so perfectly with the setting. Definitely one of the most epic feeling fighting games out their.

atomico

I always get this confused with Ninja Masters :p

Never seen this at the arcades, back in the day. Samurai Shodown had my SNK sword fighting needs covered, anyway

I started playing LB2 earlier this year with a few other people and I fell in love with it. Shigen is up there with Alex from 3s as my ideal FG grapplers. Landing his command grabs are on a whole 'nother level of satisfying.

Rekka Lee is bullshit though.

Tizoc

@ponpo- Basically in arcade mode keep winning matches and/or rounds with her super moves, as you keep doing this, her victory portriat will change and she'll have a different ending. You can do this in both JPN and Eng. versions of the game IIRC.

Love for 'The Last Blade: Beyond the Destiny' on the NGPC.
I loved the sombre tone of this game, even on the handheld game.

I once thought that Hyo Amano might be a reference back to Dan Hibiki from Street Fighter because of his pink robes, his hair, and his connection to Hibiki. However, I since then think he's a reference to one of the characters from Seven Samurai. I forget the character name, but one has a very similar manner and dress.

I thought so too at first, but Amano's hairstyle and pink colored kimino is prob. meant to showcase that he's a 'ladies' man'.

Kajiba

Last blade is one of those figting games I really wish I put time in to. Definitely when it released on ggpo for the first time. Love the animation so much in this game.

Looking at high level play of people playing this is really amazing.

Sgblues

The last blade series was great in that for a weapon based fighter it was very technical with the D button to deflect attacks and its two modes(3 in LB2 with the EX mode which was a mix of both) speed and power which made the game more fun as you learn different styles for one single character, like power mode allows you to do super cancels which you could do into dms which did damn near 100%(some characters had 100% combos).

I too did like the presentation of the games, like Sam Sho before it but more serious with its setting, it had great snk sprite backgrounds and many stages just had ambiance alone but that just made the series so much better and when it did have music it was great.

All in all a wonderful addition to the snk lineup and must haves for snk fans and fighting game collectors in general.

Tizoc

Last blade is one of those figting games I really wish I put time in to. Definitely when it released on ggpo for the first time. Love the animation so much in this game.

Looking at high level play of people playing this is really amazing.

Trying to find this one matchset from game a-cho which had a good Juzo player.

Tizoc

^Thanks for the link!

Also, Zantetsu is SNK's best ninja ever, how many ninjas do you know can kick ass with a pimpin' hat like his?

I really love Last Blade! Still have it on AES and Dreamcast and play it almost yearly. Maybe a good reason to throw it in again now, thanks OP ^^ The style is surpreme and I find it even more beautiful than MOTW (and that is a compliment to both!). So cool and smooth!

Also, I was surprised to learn a few weeks back that SWERY65 of Deadly Premonition fame started out as a scenario writer for the Last Blade series ^^

luka

Loves Robotech S1
this > samurai spirits. best weapon based fighter ever.

i actually picked this up a little while ago and this thread reminded me i haven't even opened it yet (just ended up playing it on MAME instead :p)! I'm gonna hook my DC back up and give it a go. Interested in seeing how it stacks up. Hopefully it's got the amazing arrange music from the NGCD version.

Last Blade and LBII is one of my favorites fighting game series. It's one of those games that always seemed important for some reason.

RSLAEV

*sigh* The future looked so bright for Hand drawn art in games. I never thought it would just go out of style.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Man I loved Last Blade 2 on Dreamcast - played it over by friends often back in the days.

Incredible art posted in here BTW.

Het_Nkik

Never heard of it.

Actually maybe I shouldn't make that joke in case a mod wanders in and doesn't realize my avatar is from the second game.

Anyway, I never got a chance to play the first game since it never released on any non Neo Geo consoles as far as I know. I just found out a couple of weeks ago that it's on the Wii VC. I'm actually... I'm actually not really that good at the second game. I just don't "get" it. Doesn't mesh with me. I've just been using the avatar because I really like that animated sketch look in the intro.

TreIII

In a perfect world, SNKP would have the kind of money and resources necessary to release LB3 after KOFXIII. Alas...

Absolutely amazing games that I love to death, there are no words. I didn't see anyone mention the PS2 release. Ugh! They really dropped the ball (lb1 is fine but lb2 is unplayable). I really hope we can get a proper release with the arranged music intact.

mollipen

For me, Last Blade II, SamSho II, and KOF'98 are the pinnacle of the NeoGeo's fighting game offerings. Still love both Last Blades to this day, and would enjoy the chance to get online with them and revive that love.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Anyway, I never got a chance to play the first game since it never released on any non Neo Geo consoles as far as I know. I just found out a couple of weeks ago that it's on the Wii VC.

Last Blade 1 was ported to the Playstation. Missing a lot of animation but had a few nice extras...the real (male) Kojiroh was an extra character IIRC. Here's the intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ycxcu02S0M

I also loved the Neo-Geo Pocket Color port. The game started off as Last Blade 1, but as you played through the arcade mode, it "unlocked" Last Blade 2. So awesome!

I'm actually... I'm actually not really that good at the second game. I just don't "get" it. Doesn't mesh with me. I've just been using the avatar because I really like that animated sketch look in the intro.

You just have to find whether or not speed or power is right for you.

Perro

I've been playing this game lately
I use the old midget and Amano (my man)
There's a GGPO room but its always empty :(

luka

Loves Robotech S1
d'aw. no arrange ost on the dc version. outside of the gallery it feels really barebones. seems like a good port though, but the heat haze is missing from the burning house. :(

Tizoc

Last Blade 1 was ported to the Playstation. Missing a lot of animation but had a few nice extras...the real (male) Kojiroh was an extra character IIRC. Here's the intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ycxcu02S0M

I also loved the Neo-Geo Pocket Color port. The game started off as Last Blade 1, but as you played through the arcade mode, it "unlocked" Last Blade 2. So awesome!

You just have to find whether or not speed or power is right for you.

I personally recommend Power for those that want to play it like a regular fighting game. However, Speed is the best way to play the game thanks to the chain combo mechanic. Furthermore it's posisble to do links to exntend combos for extra damage.

Last Blade II is my 2nd favourite SNK game after Garou Mark of the Wolves, in fact it might actually be better. ... Last Blade II and Garou, far and away the best two fighters SNK ever made.
i feel the same, unless we want to count kofxiii, but even then its a hard call for me because no shermie.

perro said:
I've been playing this game lately
I use the old midget and Amano (my man)
There's a GGPO room but its always empty :(
yeah, i haven't touched it in a long while for that reason. but this thread makes me want to play it again, so i might idle in the room for the next few days and see what happens.

in terms of cast, there are so many likeable charas for me. it's prolly one of the few games where i don't have a main. but amano is pretty awesome.

vixlar

Yeah! One of my favorite SNK games. My favorite character was the guy with the big hat.

The music was wonderful.

I always wanted a Samurai Shodown vs Last Blade (King of Fighters 1894... LOL) I don't even know if both games share a temporal space, but it would be cool.

Atolm

SNK at its very best right here with this series. The boxart with the characters dressed with Western clothing shows how much SNK cared about atmosphere. Gorgeous.

ToD_

Wonderful game. I'm a happy owner of an MVS cart for this one! I just need to figure out a good way to hook up my AES (with converter) to my plasma with it still looking authentic. I want my scanlines!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I adore Last Blade. Still have my AES copy.

Wonderful game. I'm a happy owner of an MVS cart for this one! I just need to figure out a good way to hook up my AES (with converter) to my plasma with it still looking authentic. I want my scanlines!

Do you use a phantom converter? I've been wanting to get into MVS, considering AES prices are bananas.

Top Bottom