• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Going to Sedona, AZ for a week during new years. Is there anything to do there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
Being dragged their by my girlfriend to meet up with her family. Was hoping someone here might know the area, and have an suggestions of places to go eat/things to do while i'm stuck there. Otherwise I'm going to be a very bored man.

do you like nature? there's a lot of that in sedona.

and hippies and marketed new-age bullshit. also the fudge company makes some good stuff.

honestly a week sounds like a pretty long time to spend in sedona.

antonz

Being dragged their by my girlfriend to meet up with her family. Was hoping someone here might know the area, and have an suggestions of places to go eat/things to do while i'm stuck there. Otherwise I'm going to be a very bored man.

Site might help you out.
http://www.visitsedona.com/

Honestly its a very nature/hippy kind of place for the more well to do

desertdroog

Go hiking, some very beautiful country is in the Red Sedona rocks. Or if you can swing it and they are open, look to going to Page Springs and try some wine.
http://pagespringscellars.com/

Otherwise you will be a very bored man.

Sedona is a cross between very affluent and hippy.

antonz

Lovely... from bumfuck alaska to bumfuck arizona.

Least it won't be -40F.

Theres some reasonably neat ancient sites within distance like Montezumas Castle but generally you aren't going to get too much excitement from the area.

And it certainly wont be -40 but this time of the year you'll be getting to freezing temps and possible snow

Ferrio

Banned
Go hiking, some very beautiful country is in the Red Sedona rocks. Or if you can swing it and they are open, look to going to Page Springs and try some wine.
http://pagespringscellars.com/

Otherwise you will be a very bored man.

Sedona is a cross between very affluent and hippy.

I can't hike, I got arthritis in my ankle. Extended walking will put me in some serious pain. But wineries and such are right up my alley.

Yeah, the red rocks are beautiful. I also had the best fucking burrito ever there, though of course I don't remember where. It really is beautiful desert country though I don't know how to kill a week there.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I got dragged there by the missus. WTF at endless AWFUL ART GALLERIES. But the countryside is absolutely astonishing. So hike and eat and hike and eat and mountain bike and eat and hike.

Chuckl3s

Don't be a debbie downer. Sedona is really beautiful. You should take a trip to Jerome and visit the winery's.

Guevara

The landscape of Arizona is at times very pretty. Especially if you get a chance to get outside the sprawling cities.

Ferrio

Banned
Don't be a debbie downer. Sedona is really beautiful. You should take a trip to Jerome and visit the winery's.

Beauty doesn't equal entertaining unfortunately, else I'd be having the time of my life every day where I currently am. Though fairbanks is the shithole of Alaska...

Props for Jerome. If you get to Jerome, and you should as it is a very beautiful view from there of canyon, eat at Haunted Hamburger. There's a wait, but it's worth it. For the burgers and the view.

FStop7

Banned
Sedona is pretty gorgeous. If you're into photography it's a great place for landscapes.

If you can get away for a day you could drive down to Phoenix, up to Flagstaff, or all the way up to the Grand Canyon.

If you go to Jerome you can get some wine from Maynard James Keenan's vineyard.

Ferrio

Banned
Sedona is pretty gorgeous. If you're into photography it's a great place for landscapes.

If you can get away for a day you could drive down to Phoenix, up to Flagstaff, or all the way up to the Grand Canyon.

Ya we'll be checking out the canyon, but again not really my thing. I tend to get bored easily, and I usually take in scenery really quickly. I think my reaction will be like "Yep.... it's the grand canyon".

Ya we'll be checking out the canyon, but again not really my thing. I tend to get bored easily, and I usually take in scenery really quickly. I think my reaction will be like "Yep.... it's the grand canyon".
What floats your boat up there in Alaska? There must be similar activities.

desertdroog

The Grand Canyon still takes my breath away.

Every time I have seen it. I wouldn't say you need to spend a few days there, however, no matter if you are on the rim or in a helicopter flying into it or taking a hike down or white water rafting, that is some of the most amazing and stark beauty I have witnessed.

Equal to what I have seen in Colorado.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I got dragged there by the missus. WTF at endless AWFUL ART GALLERIES. But the countryside is absolutely astonishing. So hike and eat and hike and eat and mountain bike and eat and hike.

This sounds pretty wonderful, actually.

I need to travel more.

desertdroog

If you are coming to town, like Phoenix. I can offer up suggestions, however I would need to know what you like to do.

Downtown Phoenix (Central Phoenix proper) has had some awesome things happening as of late. I live in North Central and our core is finally coming back since being abandoned in the late 60's and every awesome mid century modern piece of architecture has been adobed over or bulldozed for stupid stucco stick structures.

Ferrio

Banned
Things I'm interested in.

1. Any really good restaurants/wineries/cocktail bars.
2. Any interesting shopping experiences.
3. Natural museums.

I don't want to do anything involving:

1. Hiking.
2. Art.
3. Or bullshit tours. Tours are great, but not if they're bullshit.

otapnam

3. Natural museums.

1. Hiking.
2. Art.

goto phoenix. you have the greater phoenix metro area that includes Phoneix , Scottsdale & Tempe. you got 1 + 2 there, and i bet they have a natural museum of some sort.

I'd only been there in 07 for MLB spring training, good times

Sedona is gorgeous, just spend some time outside. Take a pink jeep tour maybe, they take you up into the red rock cliffs. I've done it both times I've been to Sedona and it's a lot of fun.

desertdroog

3. Natural museums.

1. Hiking.
2. Art.

1. We have some good places:
http://windsoraz.com/
http://postinowinecafe.com/ ($20 tuesdays, bottle of wine and nosh, great date night)
http://www.churnaz.com/ (hand made artisan ice cream)
(the above three are all within walking distance of each other)
http://www.lacondesatacoshop.com/ (damn good tacos, a bit pricey, though)
http://www.barriocafe.com/ (authentic mexican, not sonoran, but Mexico City, cuisine)
http://www.galloblancocafe.com/ (Good breakfast chorizo and juevos with local items)
http://www.burningembersphoenix.com/ (New Mexican cuisine, but with a revolving grill menu, great wine selections)

https://www.facebook.com/Shadys.az (my cheers as it were)
http://www.crescentphx.com/ <- check their schedule for music (Just caught X there on Sat. night, and Slim Cessna Auto Club is playing there in Feb)

2. Shopping? Can't help you there. I mean we have plenty of malls, what kind of shopping exactly? One of my hobbies is vintage cars, so for me, a good weekend is a part swap meet or junkyard scrounge. Your mileage will vary.

3. Sadly our City is lacking with any real good Museums, a real travesty. And since you don't want art, I won't bother you with that, and what we have still isn't the greatest (we do have a First Friday art walk downtown, but that can be hit or miss depending on the independent galleries that are showing whatever [not the same as the commercial western b.s. that you see all over Sedona and Scottsdale], unless the Phoenix Art Museum has an interesting exhibit traveling through town.

That's off the top of my head, I'm sure I will think of more, or if you come up with specific wants, I can better direct you somewhere.

Stay the fuck away from the Crystal people. Sedona is filled with mystical vortexes and people from around the world go to be part of the whole vortex/crystal powers deal... it is crazy and scary.

Other than that there is amazing hiking, some wicked mountain bike trails and you are close to Jerome, that happens to be a fun place.

Chuckl3s

Come to Phoenix. Downtown Phoenix, Scottsdale and Tempe have plenty of bars, great restaurants and great night life.

I love mexican food so I would recommend either Los Olivos orFrank and Lupe's. Both are in Scottsdale and both are very good.

Old Town Scottsdale has many local shops.

3. Natural museums.

Arizona Museum of Natural History

National park is beautiful. McDonald's is all Arizona-looking. Lots of junk jewelry and rocks everywhere, which my mother loves. Some guy showed me his Bengals knife, which matched my sweatshirt. These are the extent of my Sedona memories circa 1996.

A week is about five days too long. Sorry OP, you're screwed.

desertdroog

The real value in Arizona is our outdoors and Awesome weather (excluding July-mid September). Hiking, Rock climbing, camping, off road vehicles, mountain biking, hunting, boating, jet skiing, etc.. If you like to exercise we have everything from Alpine to desert regions.

I am a Madison, Wi expat, and have lived here since '92. If I try and sit down to explain what there is to do here in town, it becomes very mundane since i am in my late thirties and I find that I have more fun with friends either at dinner parties, music showcases, and just in a garage bench racing or working on old cars.

If you are younger and looking for a hopping club scene, well I couldn't even begin to tell you where that is specifically, outside of directing you to Scottsdale and/or ASU campus, and even then it isn't anything to write home about.

I'm a old skate-punk who found a niche in this town and really enjoy the non rusty cars I get to build. Thankfully, we are getting plenty of other cities expats who demand something more than that, so we are growing in a way that doesn't just equal suburban sprawl(even though that is entirely a reality, still).

bill0527

Wish I was going.

I went out to AZ almost 3 years ago to visit my sister in law that lived in Scottsdale. We took all the kids to the Phoenix Zoo, which was ok, but not great, and we also drove all the way up to the Grand Canyon. It was an awesome scenic drive. Much better scenery than the cornfields of southern Indiana.

I'd love to live out there, because I'm an outdoors person who likes scenery. One of these days I'm going to pack up and move. So sick of Indiana winters. And some days I'm so tired of life I'd love nothing more than to just disappear in the desert out west for a few days.

bill0527

The real value in Arizona is our outdoors and Awesome weather (excluding July-mid September). Hiking, Rock climbing, camping, off road vehicles, mountain biking, hunting, boating, jet skiing, etc.. If you like to exercise we have everything from Alpine to desert regions.

I am a Madison, Wi expat, and have lived here since '92. If I try and sit down to explain what there is to do here in town, it becomes very mundane since i am in my late thirties and I find that I have more fun with friends either at dinner parties, music showcases, and just in a garage bench racing or working on old cars.

If you are younger and looking for a hopping club scene, well I couldn't even begin to tell you where that is specifically, outside of directing you to Scottsdale and/or ASU campus, and even then it isn't anything to write home about.

I'm a old skate-punk who found a niche in this town and really enjoy the non rusty cars I get to build. Thankfully, we are getting plenty of other cities expats who demand something more than that, so we are growing in a way that doesn't just equal suburban sprawl(even though that is entirely a reality, still).

You are living my dream. Congrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom