• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More War Z fallout: Steam forums censored by the devs, users banned

freddy

Banned
Wait, they still have that page up with all the false claims about the game?

Fucking shameful if so, Valve.

Striek

PR disaster?

#1 Selling game on steam at the moment, must be hard on them.

Any publicity is good publicity, unless Valve mans up and removes the game.

I'm beginning to believe that Valve has little in the way of a proper 'Steam Office' which would explain why its all so shoddily done, why this game is up and why they generally ditch the actual work to the community.

This is just all fucking shocking to me. Steam is advertising this game.

Whats going on here? I missed all the info about the game. Any summary?

Rip-off of DayZ with intentional misleading title gets put on Steam with advertised features that are simply not in the game yet. The developers claim the text is not misleading, but merely people "interpret it differently". Next chapter: slaughter on Community Hub begins.

dreamfall

This is getting so ugly.

I bought the Alpha of the game way back in October. Mildly enjoyable, but the hacking/cheating was pretty ridiculous. Then bans came from everywhere- in game cheaters, mods banning forum accounts, threads on features promised not in-game, demanding refund requests etc. This PR disaster, the lying forum moderator issue, the items put on sale to make quick money in-game, the private server issue, and that Gamespy article all make me feel like such an idiot for even giving them a chance.

And for Steam to allow this guy to run the forums? Incredibly awful. Customers should have a right to post their impressions/hate/enjoyment or whatever regarding the game.

QaaQer

Whats going on here? I missed all the info about the game. Any summary?

• release half finished game on steam to capitalize on Day Z hype called War Z
  • lie on steam store page
  • have staff member become steam moderator, delete all negavitve threads/threads with refund info and ban users with criticisms
  • profit

ksan

Valve is absolutely in the wrong here. This game needs to go. Refunds for everyone.

I'm really wondering why they keep it up in the store, it's quite obvious that it's false advertising.
I wouldn't be surprised if Valve could be found responsible for it in at least the EU.

Fjordson

How is this game continuing to sell with there seems to be extreme backlash in every section of the online gaming community?
That's what is surprising to me as well.

And not just that, I'm also surprised after seeing some Let's Plays and some recent first impression type videos on YouTube (most notably one from TotalBiscuit earlier this morning). The game looks like the opposite of fun. It seems really boring, and more importantly it looks unfinished. Lots of problems and technical issues for something that I assume is supposed to be a finished product since they're charging money for it on Steam.

Wait so the devs mod their respective games forum on Steam? Whoever thought that was a good idea?
I asked a mod last night some questions.

They can if they want too. Valve gives them an option of modding it themselves or just letting Valve's own community moderators do it. If they use their own Valve's team has the last word and can undo anything, but they tend to step back. However, a lot of those rules listed aren't even enforceable by the mod. In fact, most aren't. The worst they can do is ban you from that specific forum, the stuff about icons being removed or whatever is well outside their reach and the rules that go against Valve's own rules should not exist.

I imagine Valve is trying to figure out the best course of action. This reflects poorly on them also, but I imagine there might be legal issues just outright removing the game from sales.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Because PR stands for "public relations" and not "sales"?

Do you think Titov cares what John Q. Public thinks about him as long as the money keeps flowing in?

Public Relations are important to companies that have a future, companies building a brand, companies that are in it for the long haul.

That isn't what Titov does. Hammerpoint Interactive will most likely disappear shortly after WarZ does.

2San

I asked a mod last night some questions.

They can if they want too. Valve gives them an option of modding it themselves or just letting Valve's own community moderators do it. If they use their own Valve's team has the last word and can undo anything, but they tend to step back. However, a lot of those rules listed aren't even enforceable by the mod. In fact, most aren't. The worst they can do is ban you from that specific forum, the stuff about icons being removed or whatever is well outside their reach and the rules that go against Valve's own rules should not exist.
Never knew that. It seems a weird option, seeing the whole "conflict of interest" thing that's present.

syko de4d

before this it was handled like this

t6F9c.jpg

JambiBum

Valve actually commented on the bans going on at the steam forums. They are reversing some bans and won't be allowing people to get banned as long as they follow the general steam forum rules.

Here

Several users have raised concerns about censorship or other posters being banned unfairly. We take these complaints seriously and are investigating the issue.

If you have specific examples of what you feel was unfair or incorrect moderation on this forum, please post them in this thread (or on my profile) and we'll have a look. There has been a lot of traffic in this forum - a new topic every minute for the last day and a half, with thousands of replies. All that makes moderation a very difficult task.

If you have concerns or criticisms about the game, you are free to post those in this forum. However, please keep your posts on-topic and about the game. There's no reason to personally insult other posters, the developers, or the moderators. Please keep the discussion rules and guidelines in mind when posting.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Wow this game is a fucking mess why is there a pay to win cash shop if you have to buy the game? 4 hour respawn time in a game you BUY is fucking hot ass garbage

Because majority of gamers are clueless and never check forums?

I just don't know why you wouldn't do a quick search for a game before you buy it. The stories surrounding this game are extremely negative, so it wouldn't take too long to realize that it's probably not a good idea to buy it.

Top Bottom