• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP Podcast #4: Nicki Minaj and the 8 C***s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
toUoG.png

So we'd been mulling over the idea of making a GAFHOP podcast for a while now. Me and the boys Blackace, HiResDes, Siddx, Tguy, and WanderingWind decided to go through with it. We completed our first episode. I think it's pretty good for a first attempt. Later on the audio for my talking gets out of the mix, and we have to work on our organization as well but I hope yall enjoy

Here it is:

http://gafhop.podomatic.com/

STREAM/DOWNLOAD HERE
http://gafhop.podomatic.com/entry/2013-02-17T09_32_40-08_00

ALT LINK
http://www.mediafire.com/?9wyplz4ra6en18n

GAF-Hop Verses #4: Nicki Minaj and the 8 C***s

Starring;Esch, WanderingWind, HiResDes, Tguy, Blackace

Intros/What We'be Been Listening To: 0:00 - 6:52
How We Got Into Hip-Hop 6:52 - 20:40
The Impact of Eminem 20:40 - 24:38
Feels 24:38 - 27:21
The Influential and Destructive Impact of Music 27:21 - 29:47
JanSport™ 29:47 - 50:42
(Fuck) The Industry 50:42 - 55:08
Mac Miller Lawsuit (Redux) - 55:08 - 58:39
Experimental Hip-Hop 58:39 - 1:16:33
Ratchet Swagger Jacking 1:16:33 - 1:22:47
Female MCs 1:22:47 - 1:40:00
An artist's personal life and music - 1:40:00 - 1:51:52
Beefs 1:51:52 - 2:02:50
Mixtapes To Listen To 2:02:50 - Fin

Esch

Banned
s/o to my man peterb0y for whipping up an intro. Itll be in future casts http://www.sharebeast.com/gbn7lleyz1iw

Tentative subjects for cast #2

Intro: AOTY thread talk (if up)

1. LiveLoveA$AP review
2. Chief Keef review/retrospective
3. Gun Violence and Hip Hop
4. Female Emcees in 2013
5. Projects in 2013 to look forward to
6. Rapgenius
7-10.

Majmun

GAF-HOP is so annoying as it is, now they have a podcast?

Not here for it
ic5YKFRSpSFxK.gif

Will listen *.*

Esch

Banned
apologize in advance as the audio blending and shit gets more chaotic as the cast continues. I think i need to try a new recording program. Also we probably need to drink less when we're doing this
heh.png

Most of us are in the process of getting new mics (yours truly included) so the next one should sound much better.

RJT

My impressions:

-I love it. For a first episode, there's already good chemestry, and I really needed a talky hip-hop podcast.

-someone's voice is missing most of the times. You laugh at jokes we don't hear all the time, so I guess it must be Siddx missing...

-you guys need to stop talking over each other. Especially Ace and Eschaton.

-Wandering says fuck a lot. No one says ninja. I like both things.

-I felt that 2 hours was too ambitious, but you guys pulled it off. Don't feel pressured to do 2 hours, though. I'd prefer shorter episodes with good pace than trying to keep 2 hours and end up being boring.

EDIT: so the pauses and talking over each other is just a technical issue, Eschaton's voice is off by a few seconds.

Esch

Banned
My impressions:

-I love it. For a first episode, there's already good chemestry, and I really needed a talky hip-hop podcast.

-someone's voice is missing most of the times. You laugh at jokes we don't hear all the time, so I guess it must be Siddx missing...

-I felt that 2 hours was too ambitious, but you guys pulled it off. Don't feel pressured to do 2 hours, though. I'd prefer shorter episodes with good pace than trying to keep 2 hours and end up being boring.
We actually meant it to be 1h 30 minutes long. It just ended up going that long which is what i initially expected. Good call on the talking over, that's why we're definitely gona have the speaking turns that enzo(?) suggested

Sorry for not saying much, but I had nothing to offer to some of those tangents like the 10 minute Dre discussion.

Don't sweat it breh. Everyone will eventually talk more and as we move to indie/on the ball/current shit, i pretty much need you to be there to kick the knxwledge

The talking over each other isn't as bad as yall think. The problem is that Esch's is out of place for some reason. All those times you hear him talking over someone. He actually wasn't while we were in the call but the record has his voice about 2-5seconds ahead of where it should be. That's why there are those blank spaces of no one talking then we are suddenly laughing.

So it's moreso a technical issue.

Esch

Banned
The talking over each other isn't as bad as yall think. The problem is that Esch's is out of place for some reason. All those times you hear him talking over someone. He actually wasn't while we were in the call but the record has his voice about 2-5seconds ahead of where it should be. That's why there are those blank spaces of no one talking then we are suddenly laughing.

I'm gonna use Mp3 skype recorder instead of Amolto and a new headset next time. should make a difference.

CRS

^^^
Try to record the computer's system audio as well, not just Skype.
If I'm part of the cast for the next show, I can try recording it on my side as well, just in case.

Yep, one technical issue that shouldn't be a problem next time.

Esch

Banned
^^^
Try to record the computer's system audio as well, not just Skype.
If I'm part of the cast for the next show, I can try recording it on my side as well, just in case.

Yep, one technical issue that shouldn't be a problem next time.

That was what was being recorded :[

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Also I am not used to not hosting a podcast

Took me a bit to get used to sitting back and letting Esh run it

RJT

I was paying attention now and it makes total sense. Most pauses are also around Esch talking.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I'll give it a listen. It should be enlightening, considering, of the topic list, only the first makes sense to me.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Was a lot of fun, even if I was so out of it I barely spoke up. Next one should be really great now that we know what the fuck we are doing and will have a little more structure and hopefully everyone's sound quality will be better as well.
Before I realized what was happening with Esc's vocals, as I was listening back to the podcast I kept thinking "damn I didn't realize how much Esc was trying to talk over other dudes, dude is impatient as fuck, what the hell?" And then I figured out his voice was being delayed haha.

Esch

Banned
Huh. So my only guess is your computer couldn't keep up to record the Skype call?

Thats possible. It says it was using my soundcard to record. But it seemed fine initially.. I think it had something to do with my mic as well though which is quite shitty.

Was a lot of fun, even if I was so out of it I barely spoke up. Next one should be really great now that we know what the fuck we are doing and will have a little more structure and hopefully everyone's sound quality will be better as well.
Before I realized what was happening with Esc's vocals, as I was listening back to the podcast I kept thinking "damn I didn't realize how much Esc was trying to talk over other dudes, dude is impatient as fuck, what the hell?" And then I figured out his voice was being delayed haha.

Lmao i was like man was i being an asshole through that entire thing?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Holy balls! Awesome stuff. Don't follow GAFHop too much but props for getting a podcast together.

iavi

None of you other motherfuckers sound like I'd expect lol.

Fantastic chemistry, though; for a first podcast, that's dope. Looking forward to the rest of these.

Fantastic chemistry, though; for a first podcast, that's dope. Looking forward to the rest of these.
I think it's even better that was our first time actually talking to each other on mic too. We only talked for 5 mins beforehand the podcast started. I just bring that up cause sometimes there is someone a bit mic shy and have to get more comfortable

Blackace

What did you expect me to sound like?

Esch

Banned
I think it's even better that was our first time actually talking to each other on mic too. We only talked for 5 mins beforehand the podcast started. I just bring that up cause sometimes there is someone a bit mic shy and have to get more comfortable

Yeah that was my 2nd time doing any podcast too (lol) and my first time hosting it.

@Blackace you did a good job of carrying the convo when i was slacking and needed direction. It's good to have more experienced people in this. Feel free to be dominant.

iavi

What did you expect me to sound like?

Authoritative and deep as all hell. Late night radio. Between the pic I've seen of you a while back, and your mod status, and the way you type, I thought'd it be more line line with that lol, though half of the reason I thought that doesn't really mean shit.

Also, I shouldn't say 'none' of you sounded like I expected, that's way off. I've heard Des, Tguy, and Siddx before, and Wandering sounded exactly like I imagined his grimy ass would. It really was just you and Esch that threw me one, esch especially since he was playing up this accent of his that I just couldn't hear.

None of this is to say that there's anything 'wrong' with any of your voices. You all did a fantastic job, the more I listen.

Blackace

Yeah that was my 2nd time doing any podcast too (lol) and my first time hosting it.

@Blackace you did a good job of carrying the convo when i was slacking and needed direction. It's good to have more experienced people in this. Feel free to be dominant.

I toned it down (I think) during the 2nd half and it went smoother

Podcast needs one host. Don't mind picking up the slack but trying to play my lane:)

Blackace

Authoritative and deep as all hell. Late night radio. Between the pic I've seen of you a while back, and your mod status, and the way you type, I thought'd it be more line line with that lol, though half of the reason I thought that doesn't really mean shit.

Also, I shouldn't say 'none' of you sounded like I expected, that's way off. I've heard Des, Tguy, and Siddx before, and Wandering sounded exactly like I imagined his grimy ass would. It really was just you and Esch that threw me one, esch especially since he was playing up this accent of his that I just couldn't hear.

None of this is to say that there's anything 'wrong' with any of your voices. You all did a fantastic job, the more I listen.

Once I get the new mic it will be a bit better

Been told I sound like the black Vince Vaughn before lol

Esch

Banned
It really was just you and Esch that threw me one, esch especially since he was playing up this accent of his that I just couldn't hear.

I pretty much sound neutral actually now that you think of it. I've often had people tell me that my voice changes a lot when I talk... But I guess now that I listen to it I dont see that. really. Tried to keep all southern twang and grammatical peculiarities out.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
My impressions:

EDIT: so the pauses and talking over each other is just a technical issue, Eschaton's voice is off by a few seconds.

Lol. To be fair, I was fairly inebriated.

To be further fair, I usually am.

Esch

Banned
yea if anyone wants to get in on a podcast or has any ideas for the next cast lemme know

i was thinking Occultism in hip hop might be a decent one

RJT

You could have a listener questions segment. People would PM crazy questions and y'all would respond.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
That's a great idea. Let those who don't have the time/inclination to join the 'cast get involved with it. Plus, it'd be entertaining as hell.

Other possible topics:
Homosexuality and hip-hop
Religion and occultism (we talked about bringing this up)
Pick a classic album and talk about it (Illmatic, 36 Chambers, Reasonable Doubt, The Cool, etc)
Discuss whatever major record is out that week/month

PBY

Banned
Django discussion in the next podcast would be nice, can even tie it into man w the iron fists a loosely movies w hip hop soundtracks.

Gorillaz

Havn't been able to keep up with gafhop lately but im hype to hear about you guys are doing a podcast. Definitely keeping tabs on this

EDIT
Occult and it's link to hiphop has been something I've been thinking about for a few years as well. Put that shit on the next few podcast or so

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
- A bit of talking over each other, dunno who but one person was talking over everyone else fairly often
- We have so many regulars in GAF-Hop, I think a stable cast + guest of the week can work or a rotating cast can work too depending on who is available, I'd prefer the latter as it'd produce more different interactions between different people with different tastes (tl;dr: that Life is Good is good agreement was scustin')
- Definitely more an more issues of audio being out of sync as it goes on, people talking over eachother EVERYWHERE, some times it's very difficult to listen to because it's someone saying something and another person responding to it all at once, sync issues should definitely be a priority going forward. Though I guess it is funny when your talking New New York and someone mentions Ma$e and there is a 3 second dead silence haha
- NO A/C BUT THE HEATER WERK, MUUUUUUUUUUURK
- It was Lyor Cohen talking with Irv Gotti in potentially starting a management company, courting artists like Drake and Kanye. Which is kind of weird cause Kanye and Drake don't like each other but yeah.
- Podcast was like GAF-Hop without the trolling haha, a lot of good discussions and insight overall, enjoyed the cast and the topics, and the line up for the next one sounds good too

PBY

Banned
Once again I am not invited to do the cool shit. Jerks.

Episode 2 breh.

And, Esch, gave it a relisten while driving. I really do think that a "Whatcha listening to" would help alot. Just for the audience, it helps to understand whose talking/where theyre coming from, and I think it can loosen up the discussion from the start. Timing is tricky, but you're pretty good at keeping things moving, you could limit that section to 1 album/person or so.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Episode 2 breh.

And, Esch, gave it a relisten while driving. I really do think that a "Whatcha listening to" would help alot. Just for the audience, it helps to understand whose talking/where theyre coming from, and I think it can loosen up the discussion from the start. Timing is tricky, but you're pretty good at keeping things moving, you could limit that section to 1 album/person or so.
cosigning this

also made a post in the other thread on how emergent discussion > formulaic or structure discussion too

Overall I think the shorter and sweeter it is, the better. 1 hour to 1.5 is a pretty good length, especially as your still ironing shit out.

RJT

Or post the questions here.

It's usually more spontaneous when people don't know the question beforehand. Esch could setup a gmail account for it (when the podcast becomes famous you need a way to let non gaffers send questions :)

Nibel

You guys are pretty hilarious, really enjoying listening to this; best thing so far: moments of total silence followed by everybody talking at the same time :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom