• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #111 - "Experiment gone wrong"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nezumi

Thread Subject: NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #111 - "Experiment gone wrong"

Theme - "Experiment gone wrong"

Word Limit: 2000

Submission Deadline: Friday, January 11th by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Saturday, January 11th and goes until Monday, January 14th at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: Punch-line

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

The Entries:
Mike M - "You're Gone Now"
toddhunter - "Unforgiveable Betrayal"
Nezumi - "Marriage gone wrong"
John Dunbar - "Backfire"
Copernicus - "Experiment Gone Wrong - It Just Works™"
Tangent - "The Job of Lodging Souls" or "Career Change"
Bootaaay - "The River"
FairyD - "Diary of a Martian"
Sober - "Third Period Science"
Timedog - "Power"
Cyan - "Play it Cool"
Ashes1396 - "Alexis" or "You are already in love"
DumbNameD - "Unlike Them"

Cyan

Banned
Experiment gone wrong... now I'm thinking of all the experimental writing stuff I could try here. :p

John Dunbar

correct about everything
congrats nezumi.

i actually started reading frankenstein yesterday. will not come up with anything nearly as good for this challenge.

Cyan

Banned
i actually started reading frankenstein yesterday. will probably not come up with anything nearly as good for this challenge.

Heh. I had a similar feeling after reading Book of the New Sun. I was like... "well shit, I'll never write anything remotely this good, why even bother any more."

Then I was told that Gene Wolfe didn't even start writing until he was in his 40s. So I've got some time, still!

That was fast! Is this what it feels like to be a full member...

A magical feeling, isn't it? :p

Ashes

Banned
congrats nezumi.

i actually started reading frankenstein yesterday. will probably not come up with anything nearly as good for this challenge.

You should read about the author too. Quite interesting...

she was 21 when the book was published. o.0

Mike M

Nick N
Definitely getting in on this action this time.

Then I will feel inadequate compared to everyone else's contributions.

Then I will get discouraged and likely quit.

But first, getting in on this action this time!

Cyan

Banned

Good shit, mang.

The fun part is when you stick around for a while and get better, and then new people come in and tell you you're making them feel inadequate. :p

Nezumi

Don't! Everyone has his/her own style, as long as you have fun writing there is no reason to feel inadequate at all.

Irish

Um... excuse me... That's my thing.

I forgot to vote. :O

AnkitT

Congrats Nezumi! This seems within my comfort zone. I'm gonna try and be in on most of these challenges this year since I've been slacking off for such a long time.

FairyD

Alright I'm in, I already have a bunch of ideas kicking around and I've been looking for something new to write.

Tangent

Congrats on the win Nezumi! I'm sorry I had to disqualify myself and too bad I didn't get to read your guys' stories. (Thanks for letting me know what's up Cyan.) Happy New Years everyone!

1. Too Genius for mundane Trivialities - Tangent : I loved Abraham-Oswald. He is a total ass, but still I thought there was a small part in him that I could relate to. I read the ending as if he is going to get the envelopes because he actually wants to see the girl. Don't know if it was meant that way or not though :)

I'm really glad you loved the character. I wanted to make the reader squeamish with his assholishness. What I was hoping to show was that he was so caught up in his genius processes and "pre-steps" that he was missing that the solution was right in front of him -- the cashier. Yet, to some level, he liked her, but didn't even realize it. Thanks for the feedback!

I liked that the ending could be interpreted either as hopeful (that he would break from his self obsession and attempt to reach out to the like minded girl) or bleak (that he would stay in his neverending cycle of non-achievement). The character was just too unlikeable for my taste. Even with an optimistic reading, I still wouldn't wish that guy on anyone. Still, very clear (except for the deliberate ambiguity of the end); a brisk read that, regrettably, put me right into your character's world and mind.

Thank you for this feedback -- it's exactly what I was hoping the reader would interpret.

Mike M

Nick N
I had any idea and ran with it. Gonna massage it a bit before I put it up, but it's a svelte 900 words or so, and that probably won't change much. Was much more morose than I had initially envisioned, it's probably a good thing it didn't go on any longer and overstay its welcome.

Mike M

Nick N
Well, my first run at a story was itself an experiment gone wrong.

Hmph.

I had a good idea as well, but it didn't pan out. Too high concept, not enough time to massage it into something approaching what I wanted. Going back to what I originally wrote, which actually turned out better than I thought.

You're Gone Now
(Standard password on the PDF)

Mike M

Nick N
I actually had a stroke of inspiration and banged out a second story this afternoon. I may post it after voting ends or something, it's not really entry worthy even if I hadn't already rushed across the finish line on this.

I'm your opposite, then. I have a workable idea that I like a lot, and I've even planned it out. But I won't have enough time tomorrow to do the draft and edit, and this idea needs airtight execution.

Maybe it's not so great of an idea, then. I've just gone back to school, though, so I'm in a surly mood because of it.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Backfire
(1,900 words)

Not every day does one wake up dead. Alfonso Luongo had dedicated much of his life to pondering solutions to the pesky little problem that haunted all of creation at the end of that all too brief a moment of consciousness we call living. That solution had turned out to be surprisingly elegant in its simplicity, and he now dearly wished he had written it down for someone, or even mentioned it to them before rushing headlong into immortality by consuming the contents of that bubbly vial.

As it now stood, he had been spending much of the day scratching the lid of his coffin, which was turning out to be of the highest quality. If the money spent on that vessel for the last journey of a man's earthly remains was a sign of the affection his kin had for him, Alfonso's family must have loved him very much. He hated them for it. Of course he did not like to think of the six feet of dirt pressing down on his humble abode that would await him were his nails sharp and strong enough, but he was a man who had always taken a step at a time. And he was grateful for not having been cremated, though he accepted the possibility that gratitude might wane should his stay be prolonged beyond reason.

He had however noticed something rather unsettling that temporarily distracted him from his ever weakening nails: he seemed to be unable to locate a pulse. And now that he began to think about it, his breathing was rather shallow as well. Shallow was a more comforting way to express it than non-existent.

He quickly grasped the situation, though he did not care for it much: he had found a cure for death, much like he intended, but therein lay the problem. Death being another disease that lurks in the shadows, ready to bounce on the weak and susceptible, means it must be treatable, but to cure a disease one must first be contracted by it, and that's precisely what he had, a cure, not a preventive potion. He had died on the floor of his laboratory, and was now doomed to wait in his coffin until all the world would change, and by some unforeseen development the very ground would spit out his casket.

It would be a very long wait.

Anyway, the wait was over, and the buried man could feel the earth all around him moving. He wondered what it could mean, were they moving the cemetery? were they exhuming his corpse? were grave robbers afoot? Whatever the reason was, he was hopeful it would lead to him breaking out from him underground prison, to roam the world as a breathless and bloodless fiend that feasts on human flesh and brains.

Yes, indeed, that seemed to be another side effect of his home made remedy for dying, or perhaps of the untold centuries of mental degradation caused by immobile solitude and regret, an inconsolable lust to devour raw meat. Although now that he reflected on it at length, he didn't really see any pressing need for it to be human meat, as such.

Now he heard scraping, someone was just outside his coffin. He tried to push the thing open, but the thing still would not budge. He had thought enough time would decay any casket, though he did admit that he had lost the sense of time quite soon into his experience, and really had no clear idea how long he had waited. It had felt like an awful lot of years. But suddenly the noises stopped, perhaps startled by him pounding the coffin from within. That's the sort of thing people don't like when they dig up other people they expect to be dead.

The oddest thing that he had experienced in quite a long time happened, and not only owing to a lack of competition. Bright light began simultaneously stream in through the entire length of seam that separated the lid from the coffin, until the entire lid launched up into the air with explosive speed in a pillar of white light. He covered his eyes not to be blinded, but though he could not see through the brightness he found the light did not hurt his eyes. He was not sure was that another perk and/or detriment of being dead, or some singular quality particular to the light itself, and did not have much time to think about it.

“RISE,” he heard a booming voice announce amidst the effulgence. “RISE, AND YE SHALL BE JUDGED!”

“By who?”

“RISE, AND... What the hell?”

The light vanished into the earth, and from the bottom of his grave the buried man saw two hunchback forms wearing robes and holding shovels peeping down at him, and past them up in the air was a floating figure, at least seven feet tall and wearing a silvery breastplate and helmet that shone even at night, as it appeared to be dark outside. On its back were enormous feathery wings. “You're supposed to be dead,” it said.

“I have noticed something of the sort myself,” he answer, and sat up in the lidless coffin. “Little help? My legs are a bit numb.”

The angelic figure descended next to the grave, and took a heavy leather tome from one the hunchbacks. “What is your name?” it demanded.

“It's, my name is,” the buried man began to answer, but then wavered. “I don't remember.”

“You don't remember?”

“I think it began with an A.”

“Well that's helpful.”

“My stone, I think it should be on my headstone.”

“You're headstone, ha!” he heard from above, and then nothing. He attempted to climb out of the grave, and was about to slip when the two hunchbacks grabbed his hands and pulled him up. “Much obliged,” he nodded to the two tiny grunts. What appeared to be their master, the angel, was now sitting on his helmet, his wings lowered in dejection and his mouth chewing a cigarette.

“Is something the matter?” the buried man asked.

“Is something the matter?” the angel parroted. “Yes, something is the matter, namely you. You're not supposed to be alive!”

“I would have thought you people would be supposed to be up to date on these sort of things,” the buried man said. The angel raised an eyebrow beneath his golden locks. “What do you mean, you people?”

“You know, angels. I didn't even think you existed, but if there's someone who would know what to do with dead people, it should be you.”

“You know angels but don't know who you are, that's just great.”

The buried man looked around, and understood what the angel had been laughing about. There was no headstone next to his grave. There were no headstones anywhere.

“That's funny,” he said. “This used to be a big cemetery, I think.”

“I'm guessing a lot of things “used to be” for you, but that's not getting us anywhere, is it?”

“I'm hungry.”

“What?”

“I haven't eaten since I died, I want to eat.”

“Oh sweet lord,” the angel muttered. “Here, you can have my sandwich,” it said and tossed a crushed wheat triangle wrapped in plastic to the dead man. “You made me lose my appetite, anyway.”

“I can't eat this,” he said. “I need red meat. Extremely red.”

“Aren't we being picky today, for a dead man.”

“I feel like I should warn you, I have a very strong urge to eat raw meat.”

“Eat one of my hunchbacks then, I got to think what I'm going to do with you.”

“They won't mind?”

The angel was furiously leafing through the pages of the tome and did not deign to answer. The buried man turned his eyes on the two hunchbacks who looked up to him, or at least would have had their necks allowed such an angle. Somehow he remember that dogs were not supposed to be able to look up, but that didn't sound right to him, although he wasn't even sure what dogs looked like. He would have liked to eat one anyway. “Come here,” he said to one of the hunchbacks. “Come on, hunchback.”

The hunchback took a step back and raised its shovel in a battle stance. “You wanna dance, motherfucker?”

“I'm sorry, I didn't realize you could...,”

“Talk? So you thought you was just gonna be eatin some mute shitheels, that it? Bitch, I'mma cut you.”

“Will you shut up!” the angel shouted. “I'm trying to read here.”

“If you're not going to feed me, I would appreciate if you'd explain to me what the hell is going on.”

“Pretty much exactly that I don't get this figured out.”

“What?”

“Hell, it's hell for all of us if you're what I think you are.”

“And what am I?”

“Not so much what as how,” the angel sighed and got on his feet. He towered over the buried man in all his silvery splendour, but his face was suddenly hollow and worn from worrying. “On judgement day the dead are meant to rise, so we can sort them out. You know, kill them all and et cetera. But if you're already here, none of this will work. We knew there was something wrong, but God damn it, it just had to be you.”

“What are you on about?”

“We told Him,” the angel was now raving. “We told Him not to delay, that they were getting too smart for their own good, but oh no, He just loved his damn ant farm so much. It wasn't until you lot figured out how to extend your life to hundreds of years He finally caved and started the big showdown with Big Bob, but one of you rats just had to slip through the cracks.”

“Are we talking some Revelations shenanigans here?”

“Shenanigans indeed, and you being alive means it will stay that way. The dead can't be raised when you're still teetering on the border. It's the damn flood all over again.”

“The flood? So, you're saying...,” the buried man said, and looked around the empty field that in ancient days was a cemetery.

“I'm saying we killed everyone, because we thought we'll just raise them right back up. But you being alive, or dead, or whatever the hell you are, means we're done. Done. There's nothing left, and it's all your fault. They're all dead, even animals, expect for you, and you're barely alive. You're the kingdom of heaven now.”

The buried man looked around again, and saw the sun was beginning to rise behind a hill, painting the sky red and orange. He smiled at the sight. It was the most beautiful thing he remembered ever having seen, and thought maybe it's not so bad, being all alone. He had been doing it a very long time already, and now he had more room to do it in. But suddenly his smile vanished, and he turned to the angel. “So, there's no raw meat?”

"It came to me, like all truly brilliant ideas do, in a dream." said Dr. Cyril Faust as he conducted Harold on the grand tour of his laboratory/town house. This was the second time Harold was seeing the tour, but apparently Dr. Faust did not remember him. He was something of a celebrity in the city, the man the papers turned to when searching for a sensationalist, attention grabbing headline about whatever crisis they were scaring the public with this month. In return, they publicised his newest inventions and scientific discoveries, which often provided much entertainment in themselves. While largely unsuccessful, his experiments rarely failed to be spectacular in their failure.

So here Harold found himself once more, wrinkling his nose at the vaguely acidic smell that permeated the air and gawping at all manner of chemical apparata happily bubbling away upon tables, shining an eerie glow that reflected through rows upon rows of specimen jars lining the walls. Harold cast furtive glances to the strange and exotic creatures that floated inside while Dr. Faust droned on and on about the nature of man and his insatiable desire for discovery.

"But, still" the doctor said, "the greatest of all discoveries eludes us. Even in this age of modern marvels, of technology that would seem magical, unimaginable but a hundred scant years into past, we have not yet stumbled upon the answer, not yet chanced upon the flash of genius that holds the key." Harold nodded politely, pen and notebook in hand, waiting patiently for the doctor to cut through his preamble and get to the heart of the matter.

"For countless years man has dreamed of this day. In the ancient Sanskrit epic Mahabharata, or the Japanese folktale Urashima Tarō, that tell of men transported to mythical, ethereal realms, only to return home and find many years have passed." the doctors eyes grew wild, his excitement palpable, "In Twain's 'Connecticut Yankee', that sees a nineteenth century engineer transported innexplicably back in time to the Arthurian court. In Well's 'Time Machine', that sees man attempt to harness the very power of time itself, and a multitude of modern cinematic examples that all point to one thing and one thing alone!"

"Man, filled with regret and repentance, dreams of the power to command time. He longs for it. He is obsessed with it, but only subconciously so, for the power to undo ones past mistakes, to witness moments beyond the confines of ones own lifetime, seems too great a dream, too grand and fanciful an idea for reality to hold. But what thought the first man who made fire? The first who mapped the path of the stars? The first to soar his machines above the clouds? Were their dreams not beyond the imagination? So, it was to this grandest of dreams I turned, and, it is with no small amount of pride that I annouce to you and your readers today, this: I have made fire."

His arms cast dramatically wide, the doctor strode through the thick double doors that led into his study. Harold found his jaw hanging slack, and it took a second to recompose his thoughts before he briskly followed. In the centre of the study stood a great oaken chair raised on a dais. A small table sat at its feet, and upon the table a number of syringes containing a lurid green substance, and a rubber tourniquet. The doctor climbed the dais and sat in the chair. He rolled up his sleeve and applied the tourniquet, before taking up the left most syringe.

"For all the thought man has put into the puzzle of time travel over the ages, there was one thing he got quite wrong." the doctor said with a wry smile playing upon his lips. "The method of transport itself!" he laughed. "Man needs no time machine, no telephone booth or sports car, no black hole or high-velocity slingshot around the sun, no. You see, for this journey, man himself is all the machine he needs." and with that, the doctor jabbed the syringe into a blue, bulging vein upon the waxy, pale skin of his arm and pushed down the plunger. Harold saw the green liquid diminish in his peripheral vision, his eyes fixed to the doctors own, that held a manic, triumphant gaze.

"Congratulations, my friend, you are about to be witness to the first ever successful journey through time." the doctor loudly exclaimed. "Forwards, backwards, who can say? But I'll be sure to give my regards..."

And with that, the doctor disappeared with a faint sound that, if Harold had to liken it to anything, sounded very much like a pebble dropped into a pond.

Harold stood motionless for a good half hour, waiting to see if anything would happen, if the doctor would reappear as suddenly as he had departed. But, of Dr. Cyril Faust, there was no sign. Hazily, Harold looked down at the scant few scribblings he had marked in his notebook like a man looking at an ancient, indescipherable language. He knew not what to make of the doctor's latest experiment, nor how he would pass it off to his readers. Or his editor, for that matter. With a sigh, he snapped the notebook shut and stormed out of the doctor's house.

As expected, Harold's editor was not happy with the story this latest trip to Dr. Faust's laboratory had produced. He blustered and raged, incensed that Harold would try to sell him such nonsense. In the end, a bitter and dispairing Harold was glad to walk away with only a weeks unpaid vacation. There had been talk of psychiatric help when Harold had insisted events played out exactly as he had written them. He silently cursed the name of Dr. Cyril Faust. The week went by unneventfully enough, as Harold did his best to try and forget his encounter with the doctor, right up until the moment the police came knocking at his door.

It seemed the doctor had not been seen in almost a week, which was most strange the officers assured him, and that Harold had in fact been the last person seen going in or out of the doctor's house. So Harold told them of his visit to the doctor, of the experiment and the strange, unbelievable circumstances which had led to the doctor's disappearance. The officers looked highly sceptical, and who could blame them? Harold grimly thought, as, sitting in the back of the police car, he was sped to the local police station.

When he got there, a doctor had been called. A head doctor, who talked to Harold in what he probably thought were soothing tones, trying to ascertain whether or not he was entirely in possession of his marbles with all the subtlety of a blow to the skull. "I'm not insane!" Harold exlaimed, his voice tinged with disbelief over his current misfourtune. "The syringes, damn you! Check the syringes! He did it to himself, the mad bastard!" But the police had already checked the syringes, and the toxicology report was baffling at best.

Thankfully for Harold, it was suggested that the seemingly late doctors serum be tested. A few disappearing lab animals later, and Harold was free to go. The next day, men from the government came and Harold was made to sign all manner of documents, mostly avowing that he would never breath, or print, word of what he had witnessed, under pain of unspecified dangers. He also discovered that his unpaid leave had been upgraded to paid leave, so he booked himself a ticket and soon found himself winging away to warmer climes, hoping to forget all about Dr. Cyril Faust and his lunatic experiment.

Which turned out to be a lot easier than he had expected. On arriving at work a week or so later, he had trouble recalling why he had ever gone on holiday in the first place. There was an article, he remembered. Or an interview? But his editor didn't know either, seemingly perplexed that an employee under his charge wasn't being worked to the bone. Elsewhere, in a government facility miles underground, a group of lab technicians had the strangest sense that they had forgotten something, as a trio of syringes faded gently from sight. Meanwhile, in the erstwhile doctors house, a pleasant elderly couple appeared, who had seemingly been living there for nigh on twenty years.

And what of the good doctor? Of him there remained nothing. He had postulated that time was like a ribbon tied at both ends, that one could travel from one point to the other, journeying back and forth throughout history as one pleased. But time was more like a river, and we, beings caught in its unbreakable grasp, bobbed along on the surface, caught up and carried along by the current. The doctor, meanwhile, had succeeded only in pushing himself beneath the surface, down into the depths to come to rest upon the lonely riverbed, alone and slowly decomposing as the river flowed on by. A man, entirely out of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom