• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Harrison talks about his new MS studio - Lift Studio, making 'cloud games'

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So MCV has an interesting report up on this.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/micr...om-being-a-maker-of-packaged-services/0109117

The future of the games industry is in the cloud, not on the High Street, Microsoft VP Phil Harrison said today.

He made his statement as he lifted the lid on the firm’s new London Studio: Lift London. The new studio is entirely focused on the cloud and will not be making physical video games.

Lift London is run by Rare veteran Lee Schuneman, and joins a raft of UK Microsoft studios which includes Soho Productions, Lionhead Studios and Rare.

Schuneman said: “Lift London is built in a new way and staffed by the best-of-the-best. We are also here to create new IP in new business models. Europe is our main focus. We are here to deliver entertainment as a service, when, where and how you want it. We are going beyond the box, onto tablets, mobile and TVs. And we are made in London, a diverse city that’s full of opportunities.

“The traditional retail games release model, massive up-front-design and development costs, will change and as we do know is change. We will still see the big blockbuster games. But for the larger, networked gamers, we need to think of new business models.”

Sounds like MS's cloud strategy will be selective initially (?)

If its more like 'downloading' as you play and small game stuff then am cool with that.
MS can just stick ads in between loads or map rotations.

Pretty much how the 'cloud' should be, just a storage mechanic.
You'll stream to the console not from one.

The studio's absolute hardware focus is tablet. Schuneman also hinted that the studio will not limit its list of supported platforms to Microsoft hardware.

...right...what?

Dabanton

The studio's absolute hardware focus is tablet. Schuneman also hinted that the studio will not limit its list of supported platforms to Microsoft hardware.

"We care about our platforms, and will focus on Microsoft, but we will always be open to looking at other platforms," explained Schuneman.

The outfit has been known about for some time, with Develop reporting on Lift's existence back in July last year. However, today marks the public naming of the outfit, and initial confirmation of the studio's staffing and structure.

Lift London will also focus largely on games for the European market.
"We very much believe that Europe is a great opportunity for us" said Harrison.

Interesting. I wonder if this larger europe focus will also be in the new Xbox aims as well

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If its more like 'downloading' as you play and small game stuff then am cool with that.
MS can just stick ads in between loads or map rotations.

Pretty much how the 'cloud' should be, just a storage mechanic.
You'll stream to the console not from one.

When I started reading it I wondered if he meant cloud in that more general sense - as you say, basically just games off the network.

But talk of reaching beyond one box to mobile, tablet and TVs...maybe he does actually mean cloud streaming. A cloud platform is, from an application developer's POV, the simplest way to do achieve that spread.

TheOddOne

The VG247 article also mentions:
ift London will be headed by Rare veteran Lee Schuneman, who said the studio’s purpose is to create “new IP in new business models.”

“Europe is our main focus,” he said. “We are here to deliver entertainment as a service, when, where and how you want it. We are going beyond the box, onto tablets, mobile and TVs. And we are made in London, a diverse city that’s full of opportunities.

“The traditional retail games release model, massive up-front-design and development costs, will change and as we do know is change. We will still see the big blockbuster games. But for the larger, networked gamers, we need to think of new business models.”

One of the studios incorporated into Lift London is called DLaLa, which will continue to work as an independent studio. Lift London will also provide support to “young and talented start-ups.”
Their website.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Actually the Develop article does make it sound more like locally executing games, if there is a distinct hardware focus. If you're doing games that will be streamed, one doesn't really have a hardware focus per se.

We'll see though. I indirectly asked PH on twitter so maybe he'll clarify.

But talk of reaching beyond one box to mobile, tablet and TVs...maybe he does actually mean cloud streaming. A cloud platform is, from an application developer's POV, the simplest way to do achieve that spread.

Yeah which is both odd and disappointing. I thought this was going to be a one platform strategy. How odd though. And worrying. Is MS going to try and push Xbox into the cloud?

“By and large what you get on that disc is the extent of the product. What I would encourage you to think is that the disc is the start of a five-year relationship with the gamer, we will try to refine and extend the product over many years. It is not mutually exclusive. We don’t have to stop doing disc products to be cloud-centric.”

Not even sure what that means. It would fit my original thoughts; but isn't compatible with the tablet/mobile/tv focus. Maybe its just there as a 'we love you really' to retailers as oppose to actual discussion.

But there already is a Cloud game:

cloud-game-screenshot-1.jpg

TheOddOne

There are more details at Eurogamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ed-on-cloud-games-for-tablets-mobiles-and-tvs

Sounds like Phil's been organising European shit.
Seems like it:
Lift London will act as an incubator studio of sorts. It has already partnered with indie developer DeLaLa Studios, which is hard at work creating a new IP in the Lift London office, itself situated in the Soho Productions building. The set-up is similar to Sony Santa Monica, which has worked with the likes of thatgamecompany to build PlayStation exclusive games.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Yeah which is both odd and disappointing. I thought this was going to be a one platform strategy. How odd though. And worrying. Is MS going to try and push Xbox into the cloud?

Not even sure what that means. It would fit my original thoughts; but isn't compatible with the tablet/mobile/tv focus. Maybe its just there as a 'we love you really' to retailers as oppose to actual discussion.

I'm sort of less sure again reading the Eurogamer report :) Reading their direct quotes, their 'tablet focus' may be less about targeting a local execution environment in tablets and more about just trying to reach people using tablets. A cloud service in the streaming sense could reach all the devices they're talking about.

I think a single platform would be better too than selective dabbling in cloud. Making the whole platform available as a service (in addition to the console box) would be the bold thing to do.

I'm sort of less sure again reading the Eurogamer report :) Reading their direct quotes, their 'tablet focus' may be less about targeting a local execution environment in tablets and more about just trying to reach people using tablets. A cloud service in the streaming sense could reach all the devices they're talking about.

I think a single platform would be better too than selective dabbling in cloud. Making the whole platform available as a service (in addition to the console box) would be the bold thing to do.

"The studio's mission is to be bold and brave and to lift the reach of the Xbox service beyond the console. If you look at the size of the tablet market today, it's measured in the hundreds of millions, and that's the area where we aspire to be."

Certainly the mission statement seems to be to branch out from the console and the rest sounds like they mean to take Live Arcade style games to a wider audience.
We'll see what happens. Am worried about MS's plans for the Xbox brand but who knows; something very positive could be created in the end.

Proof will be in the pudding as they say.

Ironic that Microsoft are building their cloud-tech internally and Sony just went out and bought theirs.

You realise the massive difference between the two companies right? I really hope you do.
Also this is a studio, Sony bought the means not the content.

syko de4d

Future is VR and for VR i need no lag and that will NEVER be possible with stream gaming.*

*Written by an Oculus Rift Fanboy.

Burt

The problem with "the cloud" is "the lag" and "the bandwidth"

Well, he's an exec, so when he says things like "entertainment as a service", "beyond the box", "new business models", "networked gamers", etc., you can pretty much rest assured that he's not making anything that'll be stressed by either lag or bandwidth, or a product that would appeal to the typical "core" gamer that would be most miffed by these things. Expect casual/social iOS games loaded with IAP. Dude's just trying to make the next Clash of the Clans.

Also, they say "the cloud" but don't make any references to the actual process of cloud gaming/streaming. I think they're just saying the "the cloud" because that's a buzzier term than "digital distribution" while still referring to games and data being sold and stored over the internet. So yeah, not gonna be much of a bandwidth or lag problem with that.

TheOddOne

Good, I like it. MS needs those things.
Phil likes to say nice things about us Europeans:
Lift London will also focus largely on games for the European market.

"We very much believe that Europe is a great opportunity for us" said Harrison.

For now, Lift London will share the same central London office as Soho Productions. Harrison, however, made clear that as the teams of both outfits expand, a new home will be needed for Lift London.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I think 'cloud' is probably my least favourite buzzword of the now. Whenever a colleague, exec, friend, or whatever starts talking about 'cloud' stuff my eyes narrow and my desire to call them the other far better C word begins burning in my chest.

mocoworm

More on Gizmodo:

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/01/microsoft-the-future-of-the-xbox-is-cloud-centric-gaming/

"Here’s an interesting titbit. Phil Harrison, VP of Microsoft’s Interactive Entertainment Business, let slip that the future of the Xbox isn’t about one piece of hardware, but cloud-based gaming. Maybe the Xbox 720 won’t be all that revolutionary hardware-wise, then?

Apparently the Xbox will be more about a gaming brand across Microsoft’s plethora of devices, and not just about a gaming console. We’ve already seen a lot of that from the Xbox Live integration within both Windows Phone and Windows 8, and even stretching as far as Android and iOS.

“Increasingly, the games are going to sit on the cloud. Instead of being device centric, they will be cloud centric.”
“This vision is what influenced me to join Microsoft in the first place.”

That’s not to say the Xbox 720 won’t be mind-blowing, of course, but Microsoft’s gaming focus has certainly shifted. Like movies streamed on Netflix, it sounds like Microsoft’s working on gaming you can start on your phone, pick up on your tablet, and then finish off when you get home on your Xbox.

To make that work, the nature of hard-core games will certainly have to change; it’s not like you’re going to be able to do that with Call of Duty now is it? Having said that, if you can make that happen, Microsoft, on a Windows Phone with thumbsticks and everything, I’m totally sold. [CVG]"

FGMPR

Banned
I think 'cloud' is probably my least favourite buzzword of the now. Whenever a colleague, exec, friend, or whatever starts talking about 'cloud' stuff my eyes narrow and my desire to call them the other far better C word begins burning in my chest.

I don't understand. It's a word that describes something that is very much real. Why does it annoy you when people use it to describe what they are talking about?

Withnail

More on Gizmodo:

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/01/microsoft-the-future-of-the-xbox-is-cloud-centric-gaming/

"Here’s an interesting titbit. Phil Harrison, VP of Microsoft’s Interactive Entertainment Business, let slip that the future of the Xbox isn’t about one piece of hardware, but cloud-based gaming. Maybe the Xbox 720 won’t be all that revolutionary hardware-wise, then?

Apparently the Xbox will be more about a gaming brand across Microsoft’s plethora of devices, and not just about a gaming console. We’ve already seen a lot of that from the Xbox Live integration within both Windows Phone and Windows 8, and even stretching as far as Android and iOS.

“Increasingly, the games are going to sit on the cloud. Instead of being device centric, they will be cloud centric.”
“This vision is what influenced me to join Microsoft in the first place.”

That’s not to say the Xbox 720 won’t be mind-blowing, of course, but Microsoft’s gaming focus has certainly shifted. Like movies streamed on Netflix, it sounds like Microsoft’s working on gaming you can start on your phone, pick up on your tablet, and then finish off when you get home on your Xbox.

To make that work, the nature of hard-core games will certainly have to change; it’s not like you’re going to be able to do that with Call of Duty now is it? Having said that, if you can make that happen, Microsoft, on a Windows Phone with thumbsticks and everything, I’m totally sold. [CVG]"

This is something I've been thinking about recently. Cell phones will be able to play online CoD at HD resolutions within probably five years, with graphical fidelity that is 'good enough' for most people, and when you throw in video output and a wireless controller you have a problem for the old console model.

Sony and MS realise this of course which is why I think they are both moving from being a hardware provider to a service provider, with those services available across phone, tablet, console, and more. The future is XBL and SEN/PSN, the hardware is becoming just a commodity.

FGMPR

Banned
I'm struggling to see how they can offer that kind of experience without locking out a major competitor like Steam from Windows somehow. If you could play 'CoD' going from an MS smartphone, to an MS tablet to win 8, then surely that win 8 version wouldn't extend to the Steam version of 'CoD', for example.

Unless there's something obvious that I'm missing.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Eurogamer also has some clearer quotes.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-cloud-powered-future-mean-for-physical-media

As we look to the future of our industry, increasingly the games, the IPs and the content, are going to sit on the cloud, powered by Xbox but accessible through a variety of devices. Rather than our games being device-centric, they will become cloud-centric. This is a general trend you will see more of as we go forward.

"Our games, yes, they will have the best GPU, CPU, immersive experience on Xbox 360, but they will also show up on Windows Phone, on Surface, on Windows 8 and on other compatible devices through SmartGlass."

All of which to me sounds more clearly like game streaming from 'xbox' hardware on the cloud side to other devices.

There's more stuff at the link too.

pants

Both of which will solve itself in the next years. You have to start early or you're crushed by reality.

There is absolutely nothing on this earth that I am aware of that would solve lag problems. Iirc in a copper solution electrons are already moving at 0.95c (under near perfect conditions) yet we still have terrible lag. I'm not aware of any technology immediatelly being worked on that would make routers process data faster, servers respond to requests faster etc. Lag is here to stay breh, all you can do is lower the distance between you and a node so your data passes through less networking devices.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
There is absolutely nothing on this earth that I am aware of that would solve lag problems. Iirc in a copper solution electrons are already moving at 0.95c (under near perfect conditions) yet we still have terrible lag. I'm not aware of any technology immediatelly being worked on that would make routers process data faster, servers respond to requests faster etc. Lag is here to stay breh, all you can do is lower the distance between you and a node so your data passes through less networking devices.

The thing is...there is already input lag on console <-> TV setup. And the vast majority find it acceptable. Most don't even think about.

So latency doesn't have to be eliminated. It needs to be brought to an acceptable range.

Cloud services have already been bringing latencies down closer and in some cases into ranges similar to local console games.

The challenge where this can be done now is stabilising and avoiding latency spikes.

Network will continue to improve for more people and backend on the cloud side will continue to improve.

Top Bottom