• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale Games' Fix for TWD Retail 360 Issues: Buy an HD Suckers!

winter

So anybody that bought the retail version of The Walking Dead and owns an xbox 360 slim 4 GB console can tell you the game is absolutely broken and unplayable on the system. The game stops and freezes and drops frames every few seconds and other than making the experience extremely aggravating it actually renders the Quick Time Events IMPOSSIBLE.

So after patiently waiting nearly a month since the retail disc released for news of a patch, Telltale Games has released this bomb in their forum in a stickied thread at the top of their support forum:

The Walking Dead – ‘Hitching’ on Xbox 360 4GB
After investigating reports of severe ‘hitching’ (gameplay interrupted by unacceptable freezing or stuttering) when playing The Walking Dead on Xbox 360, we have determined that this issue affects the following only:
Xbox 360 4GB models not fitted with an internal hard disk drive, playing the disc-based (retail) version of the game
This issue does NOT affect Xbox 360s fitted with an internal hard disk drive or Xbox 360 4GB (no internal hard disk drive) users playing the digital version of the game downloaded from the Xbox LIVE Marketplace.

Remedy

Acquiring and installing an internal hard disk drive compatible with your Xbox360 4GB console will resolve this issue (a hard disk drive connected via your Xbox 360’s USB port will NOT provide a remedy).

If you are unable to acquire and install an internal hard disk drive for your Xbox 360 4GB, we will supply you with codes to download season one (5 episodes) of The Walking Dead from the Xbox LIVE Marketplace at no charge as outlined in the associated Claim Redemption Form [Click here to download].

Upon confirmation of proof of purchase, Xbox LIVE Marketplace codes and instructions for their use will be sent to you at no charge.

We value our customers and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Now let's take a look at their FIX for the problem.

It involves purchasing the $100 official Harddrive from Microsoft or getting the downloadable version, which amounts to "Thanks for paying $30 for a useless retail disc. Here is the downloadable version you could've purchased for $10 and saved yourself $20 and a whole lot of grief. Oh, and if you bought the retail disc because you don't have access to XBOX LIVE, you're shit out of luck."

So basically Telltale Games has decided not to patch the game and give a giant FUCK YOU to its customers.

Coins

Banned
It's pretty cool they'll give you codes for the games. Doesn't sound like a big fuck you to me since its probably a minuscule amount of users without a hard drive.

bryanee

Thats bullshit, I have those issues on with my 360 slim and 250gb HDD. Episode 2 is damn near unplayable at times.

Ein Bear

Pretty shitty of them.

Don't quite a few games have problems related to the 4GB 360? It seems pretty bad of them to even sell that model if it doesn't work properly.

If you are unable to acquire and install an internal hard disk drive for your Xbox 360 4GB, we will supply you with codes to download season one (5 episodes) of The Walking Dead from the Xbox LIVE Marketplace at no charge as outlined in the associated Claim Redemption Form [Click here to download].

Sounds like an OK solution to me.

solarus

Telltale is utter shit when it comes to any sort of technical problems, this is also a blanket statement for all their games on all platforms... still goty though.

Tagg9

Let's face it, Telltale's strength has never been optimization.

Anyone tried to play the Monkey Island games on WiiWare? Absolutely awful. You really need to play their titles on PC.

So are they going to do anything about all the people who are renting this game? It is the second most popular 360 title on gamefly right now.

winter

? they gave them a free copy of the game to download? how is that shitty
?

Because they paid $30 just to get the $10 downloadable version. That's a $20 premium to play the same exact product months later than everyone else did.

The Retail Disc was an MSRP of $30.
The downloadable version is or at least was around $10 very recently last I heard.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Anyone tried to play the Monkey Island games on WiiWare? Absolutely awful. You really need to play their titles on PC.

I have WD on PC and so I would love to do that if the save file wouldn't get erased. I spent 2 hours playing only for my save to get erased and now I have no desire to go back until it's fixed.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Does the downloadable version even fit on a 4GB 360? Anyway, this really sounds like "we give up, here take a version that should work".

Jb

The game's a technical mess. Even on ps3 the framerate got frequently incredibly bad for a game like this, when it didn't outright freeze for 5s or more after a certain choice/QTE.

Syriel

Because they paid $30 just to get the $10 downloadable version. That's a $20 premium to play the same exact product months later than everyone else did.

The Retail Disc was an MSRP of $30.
The downloadable version is or at least was around $10 very recently last I heard.

Downloadable version is $25 on PSN and XBLA ($5 per episode).

As part of the 1 day Xmas holiday sale, XBLA version could be bought for $10.

To call a 1 day sale price MSRP is a bit of an exaggeration.

It involves purchasing the $100 official Harddrive from Microsoft or getting the downloadable version, which amounts to "Thanks for paying $30 for a useless retail disc. Here is the downloadable version you could've purchased for $10 and saved yourself $20 and a whole lot of grief. Oh, and if you bought the retail disc because you don't have access to XBOX LIVE, you're shit out of luck."

I don't get this notion. Do you not have access to Xbox live?

Top Bottom