• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix patents new video game device with touch panels everywhere for RPGs

That reminds me, I found this yesterday, was wondering if it had been seen before?

http://www.google.co.uk/patents/US20120322557
2cX2g.png

Square patenting some weird game system with rear touch panel, side touch panels and top touch panels! Oh and a touch screen on the front.

Patent said:
2. Description of the Related Art

Heretofore, various kinds of video games including a video game called an RPG (role-playing game: a game in which a player plays a role of a character in a world of the video game, and accomplishes a predetermined object while enjoying a process that the character grows through various experiences) and a simulation game have been provided.

As a video game processing apparatus for carrying out such a video game, one provided with a touch panel is utilized currently. For example, one video game processing apparatus is configured so as to: display a selection button on a display screen provided with a touch panel; carry out a predetermined event process; and change a display form of the displayed selection button in accordance with progress of the video game (see, for example, Japanese Patent Application Publication No. 2011-019540, which is referred to as “Patent Literature 1”).

However, in the conventional video game processing apparatus, the touch panel is arranged in the display screen provided for displaying a game screen. For this reason, there has been a problem that a player cannot view apart of the game screen when a touch operation is to be carried out. Namely, since the player is requested to touch the display screen with his or her finger in order to carry out the touch operation, the player cannot thus view a part of the game screen when the touch operation is to be carried out.

Further, heretofore, a touch panel is provided only in a display screen that is arranged at a position facing the player when the player holds the video game processing apparatus (that is, a front surface). For this reason, a designer of a video game is required to design the video game so that a player can carry out an operational input comfortably in accordance with a position of such a touch panel. Thus, there has been a problem that a video game intuitively operable by a player cannot be provided in some circumstances.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
This must be the Type Series system.

A new type of way to play Square's games.

FF Type 0 Otome confirmed.
What else could all the touch panels be for?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
My bet it is some advance Tamagotchi like toy. Or some token to be used in conjunction with a console game.

mclem

We really need to get into the habit of being very careful about using "touch screen" when we mean "touch panel". It's terribly misleading.

sakipon

Side and top touch panels sound interesting. The back panel not so much... Vita showed me it's not such a great idea.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
The ATB box. With All The Bravest being its first
and only
exclusive.

2013 is the year where everyone enters the hardware market because gamez are dying.

Kazerei

Banned
Squeenix would be stupid and crazy to actually launch a new handheld system.
I'd buy one for a reasonable price.

Top Bottom