• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft shuts down Halo 2.. again

FyreWulff

http://blogs.halowaypoint.com/Headlines/post/2013/01/16/The-Halo-Bulletin-11613.aspx

To switch gears ever so slightly, we’re sad to report that the service end-date for Halo 2 PC Multiplayer will be February 15, 2013. We’ve been monitoring the population for months, and it’s been peaking consistently at approximately 20 players or less. Those that own this game can continue to enjoy Multiplayer over LAN after that date; however our network services will be turned off at that time. We love you, Halo 2 PC, and you will live forever in our hearts.

#singletear

First Halo title to have unobtainable achievements from it's online being shut off

Seriously, this is bullshit. I still play with my XBL friends pretty often. I'll have to try for some achievements before this happens.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I need to reinstall and obtain those multiplayer achievements at least.

Yeah, I'm willing to wade in with my laptop to grab these before they're gone. Let me know if you want to do that. Getting the Ninja achievement would be tricky with just two people though.

Toa TAK

Banned
Yeah, I'm willing to wade in with my laptop to grab these before they're gone. Let me know if you want to do that. Getting the Ninja achievement would be tricky with just two people though.

Will do. I just need to make sure it runs smoothly.

"Now what"

halo-breakfast-coffee.jpg

Havok

A Microsoft subsidiary expressing love for Halo 2 Vista is hilarious, considering nobody there even attempted to support the game. Not even by pulling achievement data for their comprehensive "Halo Career" score that managed to include Halo Wars but exclude a version of one of the main trilogy games.
I wonder if it is a crew of 20 regulars. They should be given a pizza party or something.
Most of the populated servers are run by the Monstrmoose Community, but there are a bunch of unaffiliated folks around here (myself included) that pop in from time to time. Those servers have horrible gametype settings, so I'm not sure how they stay so populated.

A Microsoft subsidiary expressing love for Halo 2 Vista is hilarious, considering nobody there even attempted to support the game.
Most of the populated servers are run by the Monstrmoose Community, but there are a bunch of unaffiliated folks around here (myself included) that pop in from time to time. Those servers have horrible gametype settings, so I'm not sure how they stay so populated.

"We love Halo 2...SO MUCH SO, that we have decided not to fund the $10 a month it costs to keep the matchmaking client running. Much love guyz. <3"

Red

Some achievements are virtually impossible anyway, have been for the past year or two due to low player counts. Everyone plays the same maps... Blood gulch and district. Good luck getting any of the achievements that have to do with map rotations or gametypes in any legitimate way.

Ghazi

Bet on it. By the time Halo 5 releases the only games still online will be Halo 1 PC and Halo 5.
It's so sad to think of Halo 1: PC still trucking along after all these years and closed servers. I hope we still get another year of two with Halo 3 because there are no other multiplayer Halo's to play other than 343's stuff. Which I don't like too much.

Top Bottom