• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best romances in gaming (spoilers)

Cesar

Banned
Drake_y_Elena.jpg

Rich!

XENOBLADE - Shulk and Fiora

It's the reason for the entire plot. No Fiora = no exploring/fighting/kicking mechon and zanza ass.

Tex117

Banned
One day, I swear to God, I'm just going to sit down and play through this.

Maybe with a nice cup of hot tea and a candle lit. I already own it on Steam, I just need to actually... make the effort to play it.

Its either a long rainy afternoon or a two session game.

Its a great story (though at times amaturishly written), great soundtrack, but if you go into it with an open mind and not "demand" it move you, then you will enjoy it quite a bit.

Your own history and the people that touch you will have more mystery to them by the end.

Tex117

Banned
Bonnie MacFarlane and John Marston

800px-rdr_bonnie_macfibaxx.jpg

maybe... in some other life...

Underrated.

when he leaves her at the end of the game and she puts her toe in the dirt...man you can feel it

Great because it was sudblte and never forced.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
The Darkness

darkness1.jpg

So good, I must have spent about 15 minutes or so just seeing if anything happened and just ended up watching more of it with them, there was a bond that you form even if you didn't mean to; it was
gut wrenching to watch when she got killed and I remember just going to town on the controls to see if I could try and bust into that room to save her to just watch her die and not be able to do anything about it.

Afterwards I was just like "woah, that was intense", which is great when a game can bring that sort of feeling out

Carcetti

The thread just shows how underused good romance is in a game, as I have problems with several of the best ones. Let's see:

- The Darkness:
A telegraphed death after a single amazingly well done romantic moment.

- To the Moon:
I'm not sure if it's even a romance or rather an extended tragedy. Would they have been happier apart?

- Red Dead Redemption:
Such an awesome potential but that's it. The part on Bonnie's farm was the best thing the game had. They had vibe as strong as Mulder and Scully.

- Shadow of the Colossus:
You just see an aftermath of a thing that might've been a romance maybe, really.

Would it kill devs to actually make a slow organically built romance. Even though I liked Shep/Liara thing, it felt too gamey. BioWare was stronger in Baldur's Gate where you had to feel your way through lots of randomly appearing dialogue not knowing if you were doing the right thing.

One very promising one was The Walking Dead
(Lee/Carly... the bastards).

In Witcher 2 I preferred Geralt and that anti-elf commando. That was such an unpretentious thing.

Noaloha

Spacy Girl and Errand Boy in Persona 4. The writers pitched and paced that not-yet-blossomed relationship perfectly.

OP nails it, Fang and Vanille all the way! But what was wrong w/Vanille's accent? Her VA is Australian.

Shadow of the Colossus:
You just see an aftermath of a thing that might've been a romance maybe, really.
This was my favorite thing about the SotC narrative,
that it's so ambiguous. We never really know what their relationship was to each other and why he wanted to save her. Maybe romance, maybe family ties, maybe something else.

Tex117

Banned
The thread just shows how underused good romance is in a game, as I have problems with several of the best ones. Let's see:

- To the Moon:
I'm not sure if it's even a romance or rather an extended tragedy. Would they have been happier apart?

- Red Dead Redemption:
Such an awesome potential but that's it. The part on Bonnie's farm was the best thing the game had. They had vibe as strong as Mulder and Scully.
As for To the Moon
that's the whole point of the story, but still, they ended up together...ya know..love

Red Dead
It was a bit more subtle than that I thought...There were flirtations going on throughout most of the time on her ranch, though nothing outright was ever said. That last part kind of confirmed your suspicions all along...IMO I thought Bonnie was a very well written character

Carcetti

As for To the Moon
that's the whole point of the story, but still, they ended up together...ya know..love

Maybe I'm a pessimist but I got the impression of 'well, it's almost like real love, not quite... I mean did he ever love the real person or just his fantasy version of that person.... It's was a complex thing so everyone probably made their own interpretations. I guess a 'bad' romance is still a romance though.

Kingdom Hearts -
Sora and Riku

This. It's amazing how much more focus and emotion is thrown into their relationship when compared with the intended romantic plotline. Either they really wanted to write a Boys Love story, but were vetoed by Disney, or the writers just really suck.
It's the latter.

This is not something I imagine many people have played, but Violet is one of the best and most interesting portrayals of a relationship in a game that I've seen. It's a text adventure, free to download here and I highly recommend it.

Other than that, I agree with To The Moon and Geralt/Triss.

I second everyone who said the darkness, it's easily one of the best examples of a game letting you get to know/care about for the characters.

Annubis

This is not something I imagine many people have played, but Violet is one of the best and most interesting portrayals of a relationship in a game that I've seen. It's a text adventure, free to download here and I highly recommend it.

Some part of me is scared to click on a link with scatmania in it. It's not anything weird is it?

The right answer is York and Emily.
Gets my vote too. The first and only time I really cared for a relationship in a video game.

Best romance between side characters goes to Anju and Kafei. Like the game itself, it's different and also depressing in a certain way.

Some part of me is scared to click on a link with scatmania in it. It's not anything weird is it?

Hah, no, it's just some dude's blog whose nickname is 'scatman', with a link to the downloadables to play the game.

Edit: I just found you can play it online - score! Everyone do yourselves a favour and give it a shot:

http://iplayif.com/?story=http://mirror.ifarchive.org/if-archive/games/zcode/Violet.zblorb

It's won a load of Interactive Fiction awards and is really worth a play.

Top Bottom