• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime recommendations for Crunchyroll and Netflix users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coins

Banned
Been playing a lot of Persona 4 and I want to watch some anime now. I've watched Deathnote, Robotech and Neon Genesis but that's it. I'm just curious what's good that's available for streaming on these two services.

Any recommendations?

Edit: I have Hulu as well.

Space Brothers
ibtt1iwcQiMTMh.jpg
You'll thank me later.

genjiZERO

If you want something dark and mysterious (based on the things you listed) you'd probably like Ergo Proxy. I don't know if it's on either of those things though.

Been playing a lot of Persona 4 and I want to watch some anime now. I've watched Deathnote, Robotech and Neon Genesis but that's it. I'm just curious what's good that's available for streaming on these two services.

Any recommendations?

What kind of anime have you enjoyed in the past before?

Netflix still has Samurai Champloo and Mushi-shi, right? Those are good.

Also, FLCL. Watch FLCL dammit. Should still be on instant.

injurai

Banned
My suggestion is to not start animes that are currently ongoing. Nothing is worse than become a weekly slave to a show...

I find it better to binge or watch episodes in blocks.

jorgeton

Def. check out P4 animation on hulu. Much better than it has any right to be.

my favorite anime on netflix is Shigurui death frenzy. Loved it. Disturbing and visceral but incredibly well done. Moving poetry. Any other shows with that kind of vibe on Netflix?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Polar Bear's Cafe

Came in here to recommend this as well. I recently started watching Polar Bear Cafe, and it's fucking amazing. Truly hilarious. Polar bear's love of puns always gets me.

Where can I watch this!?

The entirety of it is on CrunchyRoll.

Llyranor

I'd recommend Gintama on CrunchyRoll. It is absolutely hilarious, and my favorite anime. It starts off a bit slow (the first two episodes are ho-hum), but soon you'll find the characters endearing and really have fun watching their hijinks.

Netflix

Mushi-Shi
Samurai Champloo
Gurren Lagann

Crunchyroll

Tsuritama
Bakemonogatari
Space Brothers
Kids on the slope
Usagi Drop
Gintama
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
My ordinary life
Eyeshield 21
Girls und Panzer
Shin Sekai Yori
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Netflix doesn't seem like it has expanded much in a while. Crunchyroll has a bunch of great stuff in it and some shows like My ordinary life look absolutely gorgeous at 720p if you've got wired internet.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
For Crunchyroll.

Gankutsuou
Otome Yokai Zakuro
Durarara
Puella Magi Madoka
Toradora
Tsuritama
Moyashimon
Kids on the Slope

Also, it should be noted that every single bit of Ghost in the Shell-related anime is on UK Netflix, yet is missing from the US Netflix, presumably as a result of Starz's beef with the company. Doesn't explain why they're prepared to deal with the UK arm, however...

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Also, it should be noted that every single bit of Ghost in the Shell-related anime is on UK Netflix, yet is missing from the US Netflix, presumably as a result of Starz's beef with the company. Doesn't explain why they're prepared to deal with the UK arm, however...

Does Starz hold the UK rights to GITS as well?

Watching just the first arc of Bleach wouldn't be a bad idea (episodes 1-63 I think)

Came to post this, almost word for word. :p

None.

Their anime selection is dubbed. Not worth it.

To be fair, there are some good dubs out there. FMA:B's was okay, and I'd go as far as to say Samurai Champloo's dub is excellent. But FMA:B, last I saw, is very incomplete on Netflix.

Crunchroll, however, has subs and an all-around better selection.

One more vote for Shirokuma Cafe!

It's cute, relaxing and sometimes quite funny!

I watched the first 2 episodes of Gintama and didn't really like it... should I give it another chance?

Duuke

I really enjoyed Tower of DRUAGA.

The first episode is a joke episode, it starts on episode 2. But it's really a cool case of what if a dungeon crawler video game was turned into a real medieval way of living for people.

Does Starz hold the UK rights to GITS as well?

Via their Manga Entertainment subsidiary, yes. Indeed, they pretty much own the UK anime market (Manga is the official UK distributor for Funimation, Sentai and Viz Media. Hell, they get their mitts on the stuff that falls through the cracks, for example by distributing Persona 4 Animation and getting their logo on the UK box despite Kaze holding the licence). I wouldn't be too surprised if the UK arm of Manga is actually free to make its own decisions as a result of holding a near monopoly of the UK anime market.

Gambit61

Netflix:
Afro Samurai
Last Exile
Gungrave
Samurai Champloo
Mushishi

Crunchyroll:
Hunter x Hunter
Space Brothers
Kids on the Slope

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Via their Manga Entertainment subsidiary, yes. Indeed, they pretty much own the UK anime market (Manga is the official UK distributor for Funimation, Sentai and Viz Media. Hell, they get their mitts on the stuff that falls through the cracks, for example by distributing Persona 4 Animation and getting their logo on the UK box despite Kaze holding the licence). I wouldn't be too surprised if the UK arm of Manga is actually free to make its own decisions as a result of holding a near monopoly of the UK anime market.

Huh, interesting. Thanks for the info!

Mushshi. I think Monster is on Netflix too.

I haven't seen it on Netflix, but I know it's on Hulu.

Llyranor

I watched the first 2 episodes of Gintama and didn't really like it... should I give it another chance?

They are the worst two episodes in the series. I would have given up on the series if my brother didn't persuade me that 'it gets better' because he had watched on ahead and knew that - indeed - it does get better. So much better.

They are the worst two episodes in the series. I would have given up on the series if my brother didn't persuade me that 'it gets better' because he had watched on ahead and knew that - indeed - it does get better. So much better.

Yeah. It starts off pretty damn slow. however it gets pretty good. At the very, very least, watch episode 25 (ideally without skipping episodes, but you might be able to get by with jumping from 2 to 25).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom