• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: THQ's legacy IPs to be sold off later this month

Lime

Homeworld IP is claimed to be in the retention of THQ, according to a Robert Santos:

THQ Bankruptcy Update (23 January 2012)

The results are in from the first round auctions at THQ. Homeworld developer Relic is now part of Sega! We wish Relic and all THQ studios and employees the best of luck at their new homes and during this challenging time in their careers. We hope the future holds continued creative opportunities for you all.

During preparations for our campaign, we began filing the paper work necessary to have participated in this auction. We were then notified by a banker involved with the proceedings that certain legacy properties including Homeworld were not actually a part of this auction, and were to be sold later in the month. We will be reaching out to contacts during the week to confirm that this is still the case, however, this language is mirrored in THQ CEO Brian Ferrell’s letter to employees stating, “Some assets, including our publishing businesses and Vigil, along with some other intellectual properties are not included in the sale agreements. They will remain part of the Chapter 11 case. We will make every effort to find appropriate buyers, if possible.” You can read the full letter on Kotaku, http://kotaku.com/5978429/this-is-the-letter-th...

DDInvesting further clarifies this language stating, “THQ: Total proceeds of auction close to $100M Estate retaining cash on hand, accounts receivable, legacy library, to name a few” https://twitter.com/DDInvesting/status/29418273...

Patryn

Curious who will pick up Titan Quest and whether that will affect Grim Dawn. As I recall, the GD team licensed the Titan Quest engine for GD.

Fox Mulder

Could be interesting to see what's scooped up. Did anybody know that MS got Hydro Thunder from the Midway ashes until it was announced for xbla?

No Vigil is gone.

This is about their remaining IPs, not their studios.
"Some assets, including our publishing businesses and Vigil, along with some other intellectual properties are not included in the sale agreements. They will remain part of the Chapter 11 case. We will make every effort to find appropriate buyers, if possible.”

??

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
"Some assets, including our publishing businesses and Vigil, along with some other intellectual properties are not included in the sale agreements. They will remain part of the Chapter 11 case. We will make every effort to find appropriate buyers, if possible.”

??

Huh, I guess they're just laid off effectively immediate, but could still be sold.

Patryn

??

Isn't it just a name and not the actual workers at this point? The letter THQ sent out seems to indicate that pretty much everyone is laid off by Friday (the 25th).

KissVibes

Banned
A family member might make an attempt to buying something from this auction. I'm going to suggest Red Faction and Titan Quest as the ones to bid on.

It'd also be cool to own the name Swordfish Studios and 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand

Platinum says they wana

Citation needed.

That would be terrible, by the way.

I am guessing the WWE license (to develop?) is one of those misc properties yet to be sold off?

It's not THQ's license to sell.

I also want to see a list of what these 'legacy IPs' represent because if I dig back into their SNES/PS1 catalog I'm seeing more license-based games than not. What IPs does THQ still fully own?

sflufan

Banned
It's not THQ's license to sell.

I also want to see a list of what these 'legacy IPs' represent because if I dig back into their SNES/PS1 catalog I'm seeing more license-based games than not. What IPs does THQ still fully own?

For starters:

- Homeworld
- Titan Quest
- Destroy All Humans
- Red Faction

Other than homeworld what IP's weren't sold I already Darksiders and Vigil weren't picked up but what else is left ?

Edit: scrolls up reads list of IP's still left unsold

Also best of luck to everyone who worked at Vigil.

KissVibes

Banned

You're drunk Shark Johnson, go home.

Tell me how it would be good, then. How are Platinum a good fit over Vigil, the team handpicked to develop two of the best Zelda-style games available to play? What is it about Platinum that would make that transition smooth and good for fans?

I don't like the aesthetic of any Platinum games and feel they'd be a bad fit for a future Darksiders game. Vanquish is their only game I can tolerate the aesthetics of and fully enjoy.

deviljho

Tell me how it would be good. How are Platinum a good fit over Vigil, the team handpicked to develop two of the best Zelda-style games available to play? What is it about Platinum that would make that transition smooth and good for fans?

well, if they don't buy it, chances are, you'll never see another darksiders game again...

You think all Platinums games will now be Nintendo published?

no.

Top Bottom