• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Drox Operative - Diablo in SPAAAAAAAAAACE

Corto

Sometimes I accidentally stumble on some fantastic obscure game that shows once again that talent and genius can still surprise you from completely unexpected places. This game is such an example. Simply put is Diablo with spaceships. But it's much more than that. It has randomly generated GALAXIES, ten different races that without any player intervention, are "playing" a 4X meta-game for galactic domination with your individual game crossing that meta-game only at moments when it's beneficial for those races to use you for their domination plans in some errand. It really gives you a sense of scale as I haven't feel in sometime as you are not the center of the action, but just one more (even insignificant) actor of it.

I just started playing it. And it's really great that in an year that saw the release of 2 great action RPG fighting for our attention and time bandwidth (Diablo and Torchlight) an independent company (though with past history of great games in the genre - Din's Curse) risked releasing such a refreshing take on the genre.

It has Mac and Windows versions. It has a demo. Try it for yourself if my ramblings are not enough to entice you to buy.

dSs9gtd.jpg

Soldak Entertainment

Price: $19.99 usd you'll get both MAc and Win versions

Demo

To Steam Devotees go to Steam Greenlight and upvote this This is surelly one to deserve the added exposure of Steam store shelf.

MrKayle

never played this but Soldak makes some great games, I put a fair # of hours into din's curse and the other one. will have to check this out.

Played this and it's pretty cool, BUT it takes a long time to get places. I'm highly sensitive to this kind of thing but it was so annoying that I basically gave up on it. There needs to be some kind of gate recall or afterburner or just faster movement in general.

Downloaded the demo (along with all of Soldak's other games) so I'll need to give this a fair shot soon. Why aren't these guys on Desura?

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I like how this game has tons of interesting systems all layered on top of one another. You have the normal lootgrind stuff, but there's also a number of 4X gameplay tropes, like inter-species diplomacy.

That said, the combat in this game is profoundly unsatisfying. In an era where lootgrinders can have interesting battles--like Borderlands 2, for example--doing nothing more than clicking on enemies doesn't do it for me.

Corto

I would say you should change the title of this thread to FTTP.

hehe First To The Party? There was another thread about the BETA but there wasn't an OT so I had to create a new thread to talk about the game a LTTP thread was the best fit I guess. ;)

Top Bottom